Planting Begonia and Dahlia tubes/bulbs in July

Whether you're planning a garden makeover or want to know how to prune a plant, this is the place to ask your questions. If you prefer to just search for your answer, why not scroll down this page to our Reference Library? This is an archive of thousands of previous posts, conveniently sorted into categories.

Planting Begonia and Dahlia tubes/bulbs in July

Kotsos_Garden
Seedling
Seedling

July 10th, 2018, 8:44 am #1

Hello all!

So long story short i did a mistake of ordering online from a garden centre with extremelly notorious reputation and i still have not received anything yet since May. Checked reviews the next day i was too happy with the offers..that was not smart...anyway...first order lost and non responsive etc...whatever..

There is a chance they might turn up though, might return them immedietely.

Would it still be worth to keep them and plant them now? Its July already and i think its completely useless to try and plant them now as in October they are expected to go dormant i think so maybe thats not enough time for them to shine...

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

July 10th, 2018, 12:18 pm #2

Get out and plant them NOW.
They wont keep till next year, and they will have at least 3 months to make new tubers.
I planted some just 10 days ago and they are now about 3 inches up.
Remember to keep watering them in this dry weather

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

July 11th, 2018, 8:38 am #3

I asked in the other thread where your order was from, I see now the company did not have a good reputation. Now I'm wondering if you cut your loses and get them in the ground, including the rose, now as getting a refund might be a hassle and take ages. Do as Taffy says, he is an expert on Dhalias. What you could do is show us some photos of both the rose and the tubers when they arrive and we can all plan then what's best, especially if the rose is in a poor state.

Kotsos_Garden
Seedling
Seedling

July 11th, 2018, 10:15 pm #4

Hello again both! :D ....If i only had them to plant them :’( .. had all the pots and soil ready two months now. Yes Kitty, It was Gardening Express as i mentioned in the other post...hope people see it and run away to reputable sellers only, and always always always read reviews before they get excited with offers. The experience is the worst until now and i still wait for my refund....with nothin received....Good thing i am determined, otherwise new or experienced gardeners would get so discouraged with such an experience....

So my only hope now i guess if i want Dahlias or Begonias this year is to order now from someone reputable and they arrive with a rocket :p  

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

July 11th, 2018, 11:20 pm #5

The only way to get dahlias now is to buy pot grown, but they are expensive, I'd wait till next season, you will be able to order tubers from around Sep. or buy the pictorial packs from garden centres etc.

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

July 12th, 2018, 8:28 am #6

Wishing you the best of luck and stay determined.