C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 22nd, 2014, 2:42 pm #51

Should there be brackets around Pip and Sox? 

Saph25
Seedling
Seedling
Saph25
Seedling
Seedling

October 22nd, 2014, 3:34 pm #52

I would say so CA, just wanted to try and fit Pip and Sox into the 15 words allowed.  Is that better?

Paineswife
Established Tree
Established Tree
Paineswife
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 22nd, 2014, 4:03 pm #53

Spidey I'd say the reason for the overuse of capitals is...the plaque is the bench name. It's like a book or movie title. The same rule is used when awarding trophies. Obviously whoever is paying should get to choose the way they want it, unless the Council has a rule for that!

SpideyTheGhost
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 22nd, 2014, 4:41 pm #54

It's a matter of "house style", Daisy. I tend to follow Oxford (UK) style, which states that in titles of books, films, etc. only the first word and any proper nouns should be capitalised. We generally go in for far fewer capital letters and full points (periods) than our American cousins.
You may be interested to know, however, that Oxford also prefers -ize verb endings, though also accepts the use of -ise, which is far more common in British than American English.The thing is, if you use -ize you have to know when not to: we never use -yzse in verbs like analyse, and there are verbs that always have -ise: those ending in -cise, -mise, -prise or -vise and when the verb corresponds to a noun with s in the stem, like advertise and televise.All of which is why people tend to take the easier option and use -ise everywhere.
Oops - mustn't get too carried away! I could go on for a long, long time on this subject.

Paineswife
Established Tree
Established Tree
Paineswife
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 22nd, 2014, 5:31 pm #55

Well either Pip or the Council must have preferred this style as it was Pip who did the above plaque.
No need to go on, point taken (wink). I think we could agree that how and where we were educated dictates the rules we follow in grammar and phrasing.I've always found that so long as people can find a common ground to communicate with one another, in the end it matters little. Viva la difference! ha ha
Last edited by Paineswife on October 22nd, 2014, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

not so mini
Seedling
Seedling
not so mini
Seedling
Seedling

October 24th, 2014, 10:59 am #56

The flowers on the bench were left by Tina and Mandy (Sox's Daughters).    
We respected the wishes of Pip to not attend the funeral but we travelled down and paid our respects by sitting with our Dad.