Phoenix canariensis

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

5:39 PM - Nov 15, 2003 #1

Along with the bamboos and pampas (?) I got from my neighbours, I also have what I think is a canary date palm, in a pot , about 4Ft tall. My neighbour says it should be brought in for the winter, but a lot of websites say it is frost hardy. Does anyone have any experience of these? I haven't really got room for it in the house or greenhouse anyway & it's very spiky, so if there's no chance of it surviving outside I'll get rid of it & use the pot for something else! (I'm in Yorkshire, BTW)
Caroline

undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:46 PM - Nov 15, 2003 #2

If you leave it outside in a pot it probably won't survive.
As you are not worried about getting rid of it, try it in the garden (take it out of the pot). The older the plant the more likely it is to survive. Worth a try. Fleece the top in frosty weather will help as well.
Malcolm
Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Garden website

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

2:00 PM - Nov 16, 2003 #3

Firstly I have never grown this plant, but before you sling it try the following and if it works then all is OK if not,then you have a spare pot on your hands
Place your plant as close to your house wall as you can and where it is most sheltered.
Get a large sheet of pvc and pin it to a piece of 2"x1" then screw the 2"x1" to the house wall.
Drape the pvc over your plant and weight the end of the sheet down so that it doesnt blow off.
You should now have a lean too greenhouse in effect.
Hopefully the heat that radiates ( escaping) from the house will set up a micro climate that is sufficient to keep the plant safe during the winter months. Ideally they want a minimum of 8C (45F)
You could also add some ag.fleece for further insulation and the pvc will keep it dry,meaning it is more effective.
Keep the pot relatively dry and an inch or so above the ground so that any water that does get in doesn't soak the compost. Its the freezing compost that might do the most damage.
Well thats all I have to offer....best of luck....keep us all informed.
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:55 PM - Nov 16, 2003 #4

Thanks for the tip, Scotia. We've got it inside at the moment but it attacked me when I was ironing last night so i don't think it'll be staying inside!