Pelargonium cuttings.

MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling
MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling

4:08 PM - Dec 12, 2004 #1

A few weeks ago, I took some cuttings from my Pelargoniums - before the frosts came.
I rooted them in water.
They have been in pots for about three weeks now - and are shooting up!!!
At the rate they are going, they are going to be fully grown, months before they can go outside.
I have them in the conservatory where it is very cool at this time of year.
Is there anything I should be doing to, or with, them?
They look very healthy.
This is the first time I have tried doing this.
A dog is for life - not till the novelty wears off

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

5:35 PM - Dec 12, 2004 #2

I would suggest that cool is not cool enough......I would look to keeping them around 5C and only just moist. If you can't maintain this low temperature or the stems have already elongated I would stop them....they will produce new growths in late winter into spring. I have always done the same and propagated my zonals in late summer through autumn; rooting them in an open cold frame and potting up singly when rooted, housing them under cold glass before frost arrives. The slightest amount of heat if frost is likely to penetrate the glass.Peter
Website

MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling
MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling

6:35 PM - Dec 12, 2004 #3

Our conservatory is like an unheated greenhouse at this time of the year, and the door is open most of the day - for my dogs to come and go!!!
I will cut back on the watering.
By stopping them - do you mean to take out the growing tip?
Thank you for your help.

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:59 PM - Dec 12, 2004 #4

Yes, take out the growing tip now - or, leave them and prune the stem back to around 10 cm from the base in late winter and new growths will be produced creating a bushy plant. It matters not which, although if you just tip them now you may also have to prune back lower in spring to produce a bushy plant.
If you leave them alone they will likely break naturally and produce side growths but not before growing a tall and untidy main stem as you see happening now.
If zonale cuttings are taken no longer than 8cm in lenth, rooted without any artificial heat and grown on cold with just the exclusion of frost they should not become long stemmed. Even then some varieties will require pinching when growth commences in early spring and some won't. Depending also on what you are looking for, a stocky much branched plant or one left to produce its natural growth form.
Different varieties have different habits of growth and now we have the F1 zonals which I've never propagated from cuttings.Peter
Website

MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling
MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling

4:19 PM - Dec 13, 2004 #5

Duly noted, thank you.
While we are on the subject!!!!
I got some cuttings off a different plant, a couple of weeks after the others. They are still in water - with not much root on as yet.
I have the jar stood on a window ledge, and I noticed on the ledge near the jar - about the size of grains of sand, but black in colour - and lots of them.
Also - the leaves of the cuttings seem to be geting eaten away - even though I haven't seen anything on them until this week - when I noticed some of these same black things on a leaf. They are not insects - they are just solid tiny dots.
That is the best way I can describe them.
Any ideas?

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:51 PM - Dec 13, 2004 #6

Seems like the droppings of a very tiny caterpillar - is there no sign of leaf or stem tissue damage.Peter
Website

MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling
MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling

10:08 AM - Dec 14, 2004 #7

Funny you should say that - one night last week, I noticed a very tiny caterpiller on my jumper, and wondered how on earth it had got there, and where it had come from - as it was evening, and I hadn't been outside.
I haven't seen any more though.
The only damage is that the leaves are getting eaten away.

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

10:58 AM - Dec 14, 2004 #8

You can bet that was the culprit. Clear the droppings away and see if any more occur......or if the leaf eating ceases......it might have been the only one.Peter
Website

MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling
MisTeri 001
Seedling
Seedling

2:53 PM - Dec 14, 2004 #9

I keep clearing the droppings - but more appear.
I keep checking the leaves - what's left of them - and not seen anything creeping about on them.
The blighter must be hiding somewhere!!!!