"Painting" Garden Furniture

pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:56 AM - May 31, 2003 #1

I have some tables and chairs that were built for me over twenty years ago out of Iroko. They are as good as the day they were built, no sign of rot or anything despite their having spent every winter outside.
They are now that lovely faded grey colour which is fine by me but the trouble is that litchen grows on them and every year I have to scrub them like mad to clear it.
In the past we have tried using teak oil on them but the grain of iroko is so close that it doesn't go into the wood and you end up with "sticky furniture".
What I would like to find is something to paint them with that will go into the wood - not on top of it like varnish - but will not look like paint. I don't want to loose the grain of the wood, although I don't mind the colour changing.
I have used cuprinol on the large gates and that is fine and does the job but it's no good for furniture as it will leave a stain on clothing.
Is there anything on the market that will do the job?

Dot2
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
Dot2
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

8:17 AM - May 31, 2003 #2

Hi Pip, have you thought of buying Exterior Fungicide to paint on the furniture, I have used it in the past and find it very good. Cuprinol does one and it can be used for Wood Brickwook and Masonry, pwerful action to kill mould and algal growth.... I got loads of it here if only you was living nearer but buy a small bottle as you will not need a lot of it.
Dot

Leighton

pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

8:44 AM - May 31, 2003 #3

Awwwww that sounds interesting Dot. How do you use it? To get rid of fungicide that is there or to prevent it? Does it change the colour at all?

Dot2
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
Dot2
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

8:53 AM - May 31, 2003 #4

Hi Pip, it does not effect the colour of the wood as it is clear and you just paint it on, the only thing that changes is the fungus as it dies. I will get the bottle out and find out more info for you...
Dot
Update:
Cuprinol Exterior Fungicide kills and helps clean away algae and mould growth and sterilises the suface to protect against regrowth. Ideal on walls,paths, patios, roofs, garden furniture, fences, metal and paintwork.
Hope this helps...

Leighton

pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

9:57 AM - May 31, 2003 #5

Thanks Dot. Sounds like what I am looking for
The main problem is the lichen, it's a bit rough on the arms, especially when you keep moving them to lift the glass