My poor lawn!

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

4:25 PM - Feb 12, 2004 #1

As those of you who read my "dog pee" thread will know, my lawn (newly laid in the autumn) has been pretty well ruined by my dear dog adding excess nitrogen in patches all round the edge. In addition to this, she has dug up a few bits here & there, so i've now got a potentially lovely garden with a very sad looking patch of grass in the middle. Any ideas? anything I could plant in it, maybe wildflowers? Or should I give up & do away with the grass all together? (or the dog, maybe- just kidding) If, so, what would you recommend?Seem to remember posting the same question before we decided to stick with the grass last summer!
The area is about 12 sq.m & an irregular shape.
Caroline

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

4:39 PM - Feb 12, 2004 #2

Have never tried this but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
Sow trays of lawn seed and grow it for patching the bad bits.
Alternatively; buy a roll of turf from the garden centre, keep it growing somewhere away from the dog, then make a few patches as and when required.
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

6:56 PM - Feb 12, 2004 #3

I have tried it and it does work! Sow the seed in between a few thicknesses (3 or 4) of wet kitchen roll in the bottom of a seed tray and cover with compost. When about 2" tall, give it a haircut. Then it can be placed as one bit into the lawn.

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree

7:07 PM - Feb 12, 2004 #4

Nigella
I have a vague recollection that you need to follow your dog around with a large can of water and drench the area affected by her attentions - depends how much time you want to spend following your dog around I suppose. Laurel

OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:13 PM - Feb 12, 2004 #5

Having done as Salli says I endorse her recommendation.
We've never had what one can call 'a lawn' because of our old bitch, and as I dislike mowing it, so will get rid of the grass when she goes to the doggie heaven.
I've been very lucky in that she hasn't been on the cultivation areas of the garden since she was a pup, so feel she deserves what she can think of as her part of the garden.