Mouldy nettle fertiliser

lookingforlotte
New Seed
New Seed

9:14 PM - Jun 10, 2018 #1

Hi all!

I decided to make nettle fertiliser for the first time this year, and set about 2kg nettles inside a closed pillowcase, fully submerged in 50 litres water. I decided a 100 litre water butt would be the most sensible option due to the tap on the bottom and being able to pull the bag out when 'cooked'. Unfortunately 2 weeks later, patches of grey & white mould have formed on the surface - these are jelly-like, and I wasn't expecting this issue. I have fermented plenty of foods in the kitchen, but this is the only thing which has ever gone mouldy on me! I'm not really sure what I could have done differently, and after much internet trawling, I can't find anyone else who has had the same problem! Any ideas? Do you think what's beneath the surface would be safe to use?

Thanks in advance,
Charlotte

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

8:34 AM - Jun 11, 2018 #2

leaves.gif

I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Maybe the nettles have given algae in the water a boost. I know you can get brown jelly things on lawns, Nostoc. You can get white water mould on swimming pools. I have a friend who might know so I'll ask her. Iv'e not really been much help, sorry

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

7:40 PM - Jun 11, 2018 #3

I got this back from my friend 

Unstirred you get a very anaerobic breakdown and get different bacterias making the brew which can give scums, slimes and odours giving a different decomposition to that which has a more aerobic decomposition attained by a little stirring and aeration throughout the process.
Suggested to stir the liquor up after straining and use as normal at a 20:1 water: concentrate rate.

Don't know if this helps 

lookingforlotte
New Seed
New Seed

3:27 PM - Jun 13, 2018 #4

Hi Kitty,

Thanks so much for your help. This makes a lot of sense as we had a couple of family emergencies where we had to leave for a few days so it didn't get any attention for those periods. We got rid of most of the mould on Sunday and gave it a good stir, when I checked it again today there weren't big blobs back and it smelt a lot better! A learning curve for sure! Thanks for putting my mind at rest :)

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

8:55 AM - Jun 14, 2018 #5