Memories of Pip

A place for those who knew her to reminisce, and for those who didn't to find out a little about her

Memories of Pip

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 7th, 2014, 6:32 pm #1

This is one of many treasured memories of Pip
Last edited by Flowerofshona on October 7th, 2014, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gillessex
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
gillessex
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

October 7th, 2014, 6:44 pm #2

Lovely Photo Dawn :-)

cheap as chips
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 7th, 2014, 6:50 pm #3

Lovely pic Dawn 

h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 7th, 2014, 7:07 pm #4

Super. 

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 7th, 2014, 8:20 pm #5

I may have already posted some of these but here are my pix:
2003 at Ferndown Meet:

2004 at Abbotsbury Gardens:

2004 - Abbotsbury Gardens Nursery - doing what comes naturally!

2004 on Goring Beach:

2004 - sitting on Sox's bench on Goring Beach:

2008 - back in Abbotsbury Gardens:

2008 - she found the Nursery in Abbotsbury Gardens again:

2009 at a Meet in her own home:
Last edited by C.A. on October 7th, 2014, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpideyTheGhost
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 7th, 2014, 8:33 pm #6

One of my favourite memories is inspired by that last pic and is something Pip reported to me about a meet at her house, when she said:
"OK, all non-smokers outside."
  Since then, of course, we'd both given up the dreaded weed.

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 7th, 2014, 9:35 pm #7

I remember that well Pauline and there where some risky rear piccys taken as well lol

gillessex
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
gillessex
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

October 7th, 2014, 9:38 pm #8

The Ferndown meet at Dawn's and the first BBQ at Pip's house Pippins were the best meets ever  :-) 

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 7th, 2014, 10:05 pm #9

I remember the "non smokers outside" too.And I recall LynneBee and I took 'hang over the sofa' botty pics.Lord only knows where they are.Pip swore blind I asked her every few mins to have a top up.I know her, Mac and Lynne looked after me when I was having heart attacks at the next village to her.Mostly though, I recall on more than one occasion, Pip saying that Salli was the daughter she never had.Bless ya Sal

SpideyTheGhost
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 7th, 2014, 10:45 pm #10

Look what I found - I'm sorry it's so small but this is the only size I have:

Pip'n'Sox

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 7th, 2014, 10:58 pm #11

Pip once shared a wedding pic, she looked fabulous, then she pointed out where her hand and bouquet was.Anyone recall that?

SpideyTheGhost
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 7th, 2014, 11:12 pm #12

No, though I do remember one of her with bright red (and I mean red as in scarlet) hair. She looked fabulous in that one too. 

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 7th, 2014, 11:56 pm #13

Thanks for posting the picss so many happy memories. I lost many of my photos when the comp crashed and thought nothing of it until now. The 'Meets Forum' has gone now so does anyone have a photo of the one where we were all in Pips bed? I think that was the one when I set off back to Tring only having to return after an odd route to say I was lost...... and get directions again

Pip at Home
Established Tree
Established Tree
Pip at Home
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 8th, 2014, 8:05 am #14

Sal here. I promise to stop signing in as Pip once I'm back home, but she wouldn't miind. (I'm also sitting here wearing Pip's dressing gown because it's cold and I packed in a hurry - she wouldn't mind that either!) Wonderful pics and really happy memories- great thread Dawn.
Kit, I have the photo of us all in Pip's bed on my computer and will post it once I get home xx

LynneBee
Established Tree
Established Tree
LynneBee
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 8th, 2014, 10:37 am #15

Photos of her I don´t have but memories I do

My first meeting with
Pip

I decided that I would
go to a meet at Dawns house and would be staying with someone who at
the last moment let me down. Pip said I could stay at her house. I
flew into Stansted and got the bus to Brighton where Pip was picking
me up I wasn´t sure if I could catch the 1st bus due to customs etc,
so I had to get the 2nd one, which was the slowest bus
ever due to roadworks on the M25, eventually I got to Brighton and as
I was getting off the bus an old chap asked where I had been I was
late and in the background there was Pip laughing her head off, she
and the chap had been talking while waiting for the bus

We got back to her
house and got to chatting we opened a bottle of wine while we carried
on chatting and before we knew it 1 was 2 and Pip said I think we
need to eat. Later that night Alan turned up he was staying the night
anyhow more chatting more drinking was needed, eventually we decided
sleep was needed, as I had something to say to Alan I went to tell
him but he was in his underpants only, oh boy for years Pip never let
me forget that, as she never forgot to remind me that I had forgotton to draw the curtains as I was getting ready for bed, no need here.

After a couple of days
we started our day trip to Dawns. We stop over in Bosham to have
lunch or Bossum as Pip told me it was called. As this was an old
village some of my ancestors came from we had a walk around and went
into the craft centre I bought a book and Pip the most lovely
sculpture of a woman, which she had on her tv for many years. We then
had an ice cream and sat in the sun and chatted. Once we started off
again we had fun because of her Tom Tom, at a town with loads of
round abouts a small truck with about 6 young men with small t-shirts
and rippling muscles pulled in front of us and I said to Pip ooo look
I hope they are going our way, if not we shall have to follow them,
at the next roundabout they took a turning which was not ours, Pip
decided ok I shall follow them so she floored it and we followed them
for a few roundabouts while we laughed and the boys waved.

Once we found our way
back on the route we then went to see someone that did a Tarot
reading for us both, she told Pip she would travel, she did but not
as far as abroad, I was told I would still go back to Canada i
haven´t yet.

Eventually we arrived
at Dawns where we had a load of fun. On the way home we had to fill
the car with a prize Pip had won a an obelisk and balloons and all
sorts I am sure there were plants as well. There were always plants
lol.

When we reached her
home we began to unload the car and one of her balloons escaped I
couldn´t get it so her neighbour began running after it but he
couldn´t get it either, another thing to tease me about, getting men
to run after a balloon.

On the way back to
Brighton Pip and I decided to cruise the seafront, well it was the
route home, we rolled down the windows ans whistled at a few builders
etc although Pip swears she had nothing to do with that lol.

Pip was always there
for me when my father sickness became bad and even after she had been
diagnosed she was there right away to send me a message of support.
I shall miss our teasing and our chats we used to have.

Keep them laughing Pip
and Mike the double team are back together.

LynneBee
Established Tree
Established Tree
LynneBee
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 8th, 2014, 11:19 am #16

2 botties in one pic

Parlis
Established Tree
Established Tree
Parlis
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 8th, 2014, 11:51 am #17

Loved your post Lynne, it really conjured up some funny images and made me smile. Thanks.
Parlis 

Give Peas a Chance 

LynneBee
Established Tree
Established Tree
LynneBee
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 8th, 2014, 12:44 pm #18

It helped me as well Parlis, the smiles she would approve of.

Pip at Home
Established Tree
Established Tree
Pip at Home
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 8th, 2014, 9:58 pm #19

Love it Lynne xx
"The most lovely
sculpture of a woman" is sitting just behind me as I type and now I know her origin, thank you. I'm going to take a pic of her now and post it here when I get home.  (((BIG HUGS))))

jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

October 8th, 2014, 10:15 pm #20

Hmm  I'll name that bum in 5!  That is surely begging for a caption competition?
What lovely posts in here - precious memories indeed.

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 8th, 2014, 11:11 pm #21

Love that one,  Pip sorting the music, and Dot supervising.

MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 9th, 2014, 1:07 am #22

I remember that scene well

gillessex
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
gillessex
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

October 9th, 2014, 7:26 am #23

I just knew that was Dotty's botty!  lol 

cheap as chips
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 9th, 2014, 8:54 am #24

Love this thread, just sorry I have no memories to share.

MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 9th, 2014, 11:51 am #25

I have so many memories and so many photos which I will sort out and get someone to post for me. 
I have visited Pip and Sox on a few occasions and always had such a lovely time at their home.  They would pick me up at the station and deposit me there at night after a day full of laughter.  Pip and I used to walk along the front and forget the time as we did chat (just a little) and Sox would come looking for us as he was worried that something had happened.  After Sox death I think everyone who visited Pip was taken over to sit on Sox seat and I always used to take yellow roses for the container there as he so loved yellow roses.  I and mick on some occasions managed to go to some of the big meets and like gill thought the Ferndown one with the Barbie at Dawn's plus the one at Pip's were the best.  There were two Ferndown meets on consecutive years and we visited Malcolm and Lyn's garden having a lovely lunch there one year. 
I spent a long time looking at all the photos I have taken but unfortunately they need a lot of sorting out into date order which I will start tonight.

Saph25
Seedling
Seedling
Saph25
Seedling
Seedling

October 9th, 2014, 12:10 pm #26

My memories of Pip, where to begin and how to put 14 years into one post.   When things started getting nasty at EG, Pip decided she would set up RG and that's when we became friends.  At the beginning I had more contact with Sox and we got on like a house on fire and he loved the fact I had Pips back against one particular nasty EG member.  He would send me doctored photos of this person and we would laugh and joke about lots of things.  He had a knack of making everyone feel special.  Pip built a little chat room and me, Pip and Mac would spend lots of time chatting and having lots of laughs.  My first real life contact with Pip was a phone call, when Sox answered the phone I asked if I could speak to Pip, big mistake, it was Pip I was speaking to.  We had a laugh about it and I remember asking her if she was on 100 cigs a day, or if she had a sore throat.   We kept in touch and became very close, the plan was for them both to come up on a visit, but Sox died before they had the chance.  Before he died Sox asked me to look after Pip if anything happened to him, he said she liked to let people think she was a tough cookie but he said she was very vulnerable.  I went down for the funeral and spent most of the night  alone with Pip until the early hours, chatting and sharing quiet moments. Afterwards  Pip went downhill and was talking about ending her life and I spent hours on the phone all through the night for weeks trying to talk her out of doing anything to herself.  She wanted me to sell my house and move down to live with her, when I told her we would get fed up of being together constantly, she suggested we had an extension built on her house as an annexe for me.  I said that wouldn't work because if she met someone else where would I go and I also had to think about my mother.  The next suggestion was to sell up, buy a 2 bedroom house down near her and for a job I could work for her in her business selling clothes to nursing homes.  After lengthy discussions I told her to wait until she was feeling better about her loss.  I told her I was going to go down and spend her first Christmas without Sox with her, because she couldn't face being on her own.  I wound  her up about me wanting the house decorated from top to bottom with Xmas decs.  Sox loved decorations but Pip hated them so we both used to wind her up about letting Sox have the house trimmed up. The following Christmas we went to a hotel in Stratford upon Avon, somewhere I had always wanted to go. 

We spent lots of trips up and down the motorway to stay with each other and sometimes Sal would join us.  The things we said and did when the 3 of us got together can't be said here, needless to say we all had the same wicked sense of humour.  One trip down there took 15 hours due to the motorway being closed through an accident, no sat nav, no map and directions that were no use at all, just Pip guiding me in, her reading a map at home and phoning me with instructions on how to get back on the M25.

Another was seeing her face at the RG meet at her house.  I told her I wouldn't be going but turned up with my new bloke to surprise her and she didn't have a clue.  He was vetted and she decided he wasn't good enough for me, she was right about that as it turned out.  LOL  Pip would like to vet any relationships me and Sal had, she would always say they have to be right for her girls, even though none of them ever met her standards.  I also remember helping Pip through a disastrous relationship that should never have happened and I told her that I was going to start vetting her choices. 

Smashed crystal glasses, coffee spilled on the stair carpet all bring back hilarious memories. One particular night we went to a restaurant Pip liked and she ordered her drink and me some wine, she asked the chap to leave the full bottle for me and I must admit I was a lightweight compared to Pip. Later in the evening we started chatting about men and their shoe size, if you get my drift, then when it was time to go back to Pips I asked if I could take the bottle back with me and Pip said what for, you've drunk the lot.  The restaurant manager asked Pip if she would bring me back every week because our conversation had kept the restaurant entertained all evening.  Needless to say I was mortified when Pip told me about it the next day.  

Another memory was when something happened in RG and it was winding Pip up and she told me she was going to pull the plug because she was fed up with the hassle.  I kept trying to talk her out of it because I knew she would miss it after losing Sox.  In the end, I said stop saying you are going to do it and get on with it and that I didn't realise she was a quitter.  I think that shocked her out of it and obviously RG is still here.    Pip realised how much RG meant to her and she said she was going to pass the reins to Sal if anything happened to her. 

Pip loved her ciggies, coffee, wine, g and t, good food, good company and also her own space, she loved visitors but she also loved it when she could get back into her own routine.  We went to lots of gardens, garden centres and nurseries and had lots of laughs about getting the plants home we had both bought. 

The saddest memory for me was when I was suffering with clinical depression and had a breakdown.  I felt very isolated and alone and things were said and done that ended my friendship with Pip.  Other people got involved and took sides and things  were said and passed on.   If we had been left to sort it out between us things could have been different.  If I have a regret in life this is the biggest.  I am pleased to say we made our peace and we had made contact again.  I have far too many memories that are mine and not for sharing, but I hope the ones I have shared will give all who didn't really know Pip an insight into a very complex woman. 

I won't be going down for the service, I still have panic attacks and my mam is too ill to be left, she's just out of hospital, but I will spend the day remembering one hell of a lady.  She would laugh at being called a lady.   I will also be planting some orange Alstroemerias in Pips memory because she said in her last email that they had been the best flowering plants in her garden this year. 

Goodbye dear friend.
Last edited by Saph25 on October 9th, 2014, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 9th, 2014, 1:04 pm #27

Thanks Saph - there's a lot about Pip which never appeared here on RG, much more than I ever imagined.
I've just been on Pip's Profile to send a PM and found a whole load of photographs which Pip had uploaded.

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 9th, 2014, 1:57 pm #28

Lovely Saph and brave of you to post it.

SpideyTheGhost
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 9th, 2014, 4:30 pm #29

Lovely, Saph. Thanks!

not so mini
Seedling
Seedling
not so mini
Seedling
Seedling

October 9th, 2014, 6:27 pm #30

Unfortunately Sox's family were not even aware of Eve's illness and are deeply saddened by the news of her passing away.
We were very young when our Dad left to be with Eve and didn't hear from them for over eight years, until the first of six grand children were born.  Slowly we built up a good relationship with Eve as our stepmother and she was a good grandma to our children, who they called 'grandma at the seaside'. 
The last thing Sox asked of us, was to look after Eve if anything happened to him during or after his operation, which we did for years after he died.   For some unknown reason Eve decided not to involve us in her life and this is why we were unaware of where she was living, about her illness and her death.
We have very fond memories of Eve but feel very sad that we didn't get the chance to visit her before she died.  However we are fully aware of how happy she made our Dad for which we are truly grateful.
God bless Pip and Sox and may they both be together again to rest in peace.
All our love
Steven, Tina and Mandy (Sox's children)Oliver, Aaron, Lawrence, Cameron, Summer and Heidi (grand children)Timothy (Sox's brother)

MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 10th, 2014, 12:43 am #31

What a lovely reply Saph and to my regret I never kept copies of those humorous pictures that Sox made regarding a certain person.  If only I had had foresight I would have kept the emails as most were priceless.  Pip was a very special person as I know anything you told her in confidence remained with her.  I had black spells ( but not in the same degree as Saph) and Pip was there for me too.  The top shelf of one of Pip's kitchen cupboards was the site for the various teabags needed for when different people visited.  I always knew where to find my Earl Grey Decaffeinated .  Unlike you Saph I never got lightheaded ( well almost never ) when we went out for a meal but I do remember one occasion when Pip cooked a meal and a bottle was opened.  Strangely enough my mind goes blank on events after the meal but I do remember floating along the path along the beach .
There is a select band of people I want to catch up with in the after life and Pip sure is one of them.  She and Sox must be causing a riot up there . Requiescat in pace dear Pip

Paineswife
Established Tree
Established Tree
Paineswife
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 10th, 2014, 7:28 am #32

I've really been struggling as what to share. Obviously Pip and I never met in person, but I certainly considered her a friend. From many of the posts here I have read I think we would have gotten along well in real life. I'm not as stuffy and uptight as some may think wink wink
I will have more to share in the coming days, but for now this seemed a good thing to share. Many of you know that shortly after I joined RG I announced I was leaving. I was at a place in my life where I was looking for peace online as I did not have much in my daily life. Posts were made and things were said back and forth that were just adding to my stress. Well several members reached out to me encouraging me not to leave and I can not tell you how welcomed and accepted I felt (this stranger from across the pond) , but it was Pips message to me that kept me here at RG and I will forever be thankful. I know I am not here as often as I used to be, but I have been made to feel as an accepted part of the RG family and I love you all for that.This is a part of the wisdom Pip gave to me that kept me here
"I honestly do not think you looked bad in that thread.   Personally I would put a brief one liner on the thread saying, OK maybe I got a bit carried away there, I was having a bad day.   I am going to be around.    People will accept it without a second thought and it will be like yesterday's newspapers - onto page 2 within a day.
I'll leave it with you to decide which you are most comfortable with.   We all have moments when we throw our arms in the air and say we've had enough.   Crumbs I wouldn't mind a pound for every time I've said - that's it, I'm shutting RG down - but I'm still here. 
It was good and wise advice. Having never met as I said before it has somewhat surprised me that each time I think of Pip the tears start. I truly feel like I lost a friend, a real friend. Pip and Sox surely created a place that is a really special place and I have met some of the nicest, the most generous, kind people I could ever wish to meet in this life. With a saddened and grateful heart and much love for all of you who are grieving the loss of this special lady...I'm still here, thanks to Pip.Daisy ((HUGS))

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 10th, 2014, 12:21 pm #33

My special memory of Pip is when she came down the day i had to go into Poole hospital for major surgery for cancer.My legs buckled as i took the long walk from the car, Pip scooped me up and marched me right into the ward! Im sure without her i would have turned and run home, Pip was not having any of it lol
We have met many times and her calming voice has seen me though many bad times, i wish with all my heart i could have healed her.
Many chats abut Dusty and Hendrix and a walk in the forest with H and Pip brought Jess into our lives as a dog in need of a foster home, well she is still here 3 years later  
RG is her lasting legacy for the world of gardeners where friends are made and help sort.

SpideyTheGhost
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 10th, 2014, 1:09 pm #34

Sal is up to her ears at the moment, so asked me if I'd post these for her. It's a pleasure - but I won't attempt to caption them. I'll leave that for them as knows.

oldbutnotwise
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
oldbutnotwise
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

October 10th, 2014, 11:34 pm #35

I dodnt have many bu ttthis is on of a meet we went to in those far off days

oldbutnotwise
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
oldbutnotwise
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

October 10th, 2014, 11:35 pm #36

where did the piccie go?

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 11th, 2014, 9:53 am #37

Thank you Steven, Tina and Mandy. 'Grandma By The Sea' anotherway for me to remember her.
Thanks Spidey for posting the pics for Sal. So many memories
OBW, do try and post your pic again. I think it was the first meet I went to. I certainly went to one where the head gardener did a BBQ in the evening.

gillessex
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
gillessex
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

October 11th, 2014, 5:44 pm #38

That was Knebworth kitty, great day that was :-)