Leylandii hedge

Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling
Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling

5:45 PM - Aug 11, 2018 #1

Hi everyone just signed up, hopefully posted in the right place, anyway i live in a very open farm house and the S and W wind is crazy, i bought some Leylandii hedges at around 30 to 60cm to create a windbreak, my question is about fertilizer, as they are young i dont think water will cut it due to them needing minerals to help the root establish well. The only thing i have is feed for flowers. Is this the same thing? Thanks.

ronowen123
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
ronowen123
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

6:52 PM - Aug 11, 2018 #2

Bonemeal is good for root growth

Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling
Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling

7:05 PM - Aug 11, 2018 #3

I will be getting that but as of now i only have that feed for plants, they have been in for about 1 and a half months and had only water and with this heatwave just past i was hoping to give them something.

ronowen123
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
ronowen123
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

8:13 AM - Aug 12, 2018 #4

sounds as though the hedge is already planted, I got the question wrong thinking you were about to plant them, so blood, fish and bone as a general fertiliser

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

8:18 AM - Aug 12, 2018 #5

Firstly
leaves.gif

They don't generally need feeding but need lots of water. How long have they been in the ground? In general, your new Leylandii trees will need a good soak once or twice a week, every week (maybe more in this very hot and dry weather) but this will depend on the weather conditions and your soil type. If you go away for a couple of weeks during the summer, get someone reliable to water them while you are away. If not, you could come back a find them all dry and crispy!Never assume that just because it has rained that your Leylandii have had enough water. Often rain in the spring, summer and autumn months is not enough to provide enough water to the roots. If you buy a rain gauge, you will know how much water they are getting from the rain. As a rule of thumb, Leylandii need about inch (6mm) of rain to keep them watered for a 2-3 days during the summer months. If you are getting less rain than that and I certainly am at the mo, you will need to test the soil to see if they are drying out.

Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling
Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling

3:36 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #6

Ok thanks, they have been planted about 1 and a half months, got them at around 30-60cm. i will just keep up with the watering. First time at gardening ūüėē... i heard that these are fast growing... how fast are we talking do you know?

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

10:37 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #7

Depends on the variety. Do you know what variety you have got? If not go on 3ft a year. if it is Leylandii Gold Rider then about 1 1/2ft a year. They will take some managing otherwise they will start to die off from the base up

Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling
Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling

10:56 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #8

Not sure tbh as i am new to gardening, but this is the name they are under...Green Leylandii...Cupressocyparis leylandii?

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

11:13 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #9

This will be short as my back is killing me.
You dont say what part of the country you are in, how much garden you have, These things help.
As kitty said, they wont need feed now.
You ask how tall they will grow, well in about 75 years they can be over 100ft, a couple of years ago in Jan, gales I lost 3 conifers, all about15 to 20 years old, they were 39ft, 40ft and thelaylandii was close to 60ft.
You should start to prune it once it starts growing, this will give you a much thicker hedge, otherwise it will be thin low down.

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

11:21 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #10

I should have said, if you are in the country then DON'T use Blood Fish and Bone, Bonemeal or Hoof and Horn.
Foxes and badgers smell FOOD and will dig in search of it, better using something Vitax Q4

Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling
Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling

11:26 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #11

North east of scotland aberdenshire. Garden is big as its a old farm house with the garden extending all round the house. 47ft long is one part of the garden. Have 8 trees (staggered planted) yo the SE of the house but need to shelter the S and W as its just open land there. The west is 47ft long and the S side is around 27-30 ft long. Width is bigger both ways.

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

10:32 PM - Aug 13, 2018 #12

So you have been very dry this summer.
I asked about location as Leylandii do not like salt winds coming off the sea, in those conditions I'd go for Cupressus macrocarpa.
It's a good idea to plant a 2 litre pop bottle by each young tree, puncture the bottom well and then water by filling the bottle several times, this gets the water down to the roots where the plant wants it.
I plant the bottle top up, others say cut the bottom off and plant upside down. it's easier to fill but a death trap for small mammals and frogs, if they fall in they cant get out.

Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling
Newbie44
Seedling
Seedling

9:18 PM - Aug 14, 2018 #13

Ok thanks.