Lawn Weed - clover-like flower

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

6:44 PM - Jul 24, 2003 #1

OH has asked me to ask you whether you can identify a weed in our lawn which is making a take-over bid. It is currently flowering and has a small purple flower much like a clover flower, but the leaves are not clover shaped. The leaves are sort of long heart-shaped and are twins on opposite sides of the stem, about two or three sets of leaves with the flower at the top. It appears to grow by runners and lies low on the grass, thereby avoiding the mower, on a stem about 4 inches long.
I don't have a digi so can't give you a photo - but I'm showing it to the monitor - can you see it!?
Assuming you can recognise it from my description, do you know how we get rid of it? OH has already 'weed & feeded' the lawn once this year - he is currently crawling around the grass trying to pick it out by hand! (He used this method to get rid of daisies last year which has been quite successful - but this weed is even more prolific. )

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

6:54 PM - Jul 24, 2003 #2

This site may be of help - I'm sorry ,I can't remember who first posted it .
theseedsite.co.uk/weeds.htmlTheresa
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

7:12 PM - Jul 24, 2003 #3

That's a wonderful site Theresa, I've saved it in favourites.
The only weed which looks remotely like 'ours' is Self Heal (Prunella vulgaris) it says "A perennial, it has bright purple flowers in dense heads on woody stems about a foot high, on patches of deep green leaves with purplish veins which spread to form large mats". Our version is no-where near a foot high.
What it doesn't say is how to get rid of it.

glorsclaws
Seedling
Seedling
glorsclaws
Seedling
Seedling

9:14 PM - Jul 24, 2003 #4

Hi Christine, I have just read this thread and am relieved to find that I'm not the only person suffering from this pesky 'weed'. Mine too lies below the mower and yes I've taken to pulling it out by hand My neighbours must think me mad as I sit on the lawn for hours at a time with a carrier bag to hand, pulling up this stuff I swear it wasnt there last year but, now its damn near taken over!

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

9:52 PM - Jul 24, 2003 #5

That's the stuff Glors - it spreads at an alarming rate and we can't remember seeing it last year.

Dirk
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Dirk
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

10:31 PM - Jul 24, 2003 #6

Hi CA,
If the flower of your weed looks like the flower of Prunella, then it could be just that. In a grass environment, they don't grow higher than the grass itself.
But what puzzles me is that this is the first year you're seeing it. It's self-seeding and the seedlings always appear in the immediate surroundings of the mother plant...

Dirk

AlanB1
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
AlanB1
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

11:05 PM - Jul 25, 2003 #7

Hi,
All weeds that choose to grow ina lawn will take on a different growth pattern to what we see as the "norm" eg dandylion on the roadside or meadow is a good 8 inch high both flower stem and leaf, put it in a lawn and it floweres on a 1/8 inch flower stem and the leaves become horizontal therefor avoiding the mower. This is called the "grazing mode " a survival technique that puts most "flowers" to shame.
Best way to get around this is to scarify with a domestic scarrifier , hook shaped spring tines, which pulls the weed above the grass and then spot weed with for eg " Verdone " If its a big lawn and a big problem buy Verdone to dilute and hit it with a sprayer ?? I look after some big lawns and use a 15ltr back pack Bloody heavy
Weeds can be brought in by purchases from garden centres, cuttings from friends, birds cleaning their beaks, mowers used on other lawns ( like a gardeners )
Have fun
Alan

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

7:18 AM - Jul 26, 2003 #8

One of my "lawns" is covered with self heal too. I'm beyond caring and have just decided to convince myself I like a purple lawn. Actually it's quite pretty when it's in full flower.
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

1:31 PM - Jul 26, 2003 #9

Thanks for the advice and sympathy folks. I guess it's out with the scarifier and 'Verdone' - glad I'm not the one in charge of the lawn! (That is if this rain ever stops )