ID a tree?

9:58 AM - Jun 30, 2003 #1

This is a horribly vague question - I apologise in advance!
Every day when walking my daughter to school I pass a garden with the most gorgeous tree. It's about 8 feet high and quite compact. At the moment it's leaves are green but in the autumn they turn the most gorgeous colour - graduated shades from red to yellow. The leaves are sort of similar to how a fern looks in shape. To me the whole thing looks oriental but that might be completely wrong! I've tried searching online but as I don't really know what I'm looking for I haven't been able to ID it! Any thoughts?
Claire

Jean78
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Jean78
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

10:06 AM - Jun 30, 2003 #2

Hi again try looking for Japanese Maple and see if it`s there.
Jean

hawgwild
Seedling
Seedling
hawgwild
Seedling
Seedling

1:02 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #3

could be a golden raintree?
images.google.com/images?...a=N&tab=wi

3:59 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #4

Well, I've just been for another look (got very wet! ) and I'm not sure it's any of those! The leaves are very much like the colour and shape of the pic Peter posted but the branches are thicker and each one has a sort of 'pom pom' of leaves on the end (see, I know all the technical terms! ). Thanks for all the suggestions though!
Claire

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

4:45 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #5

Have you thought of knocking on the door and asking the owners?! Of course they may not know what it is either but it's worth a try!
Caroline

hawgwild
Seedling
Seedling
hawgwild
Seedling
Seedling

5:29 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #6

I bet it a Mimosa tree

5:38 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #7

Nope, don't think it's a Mimosa either! (Am I becoming a trouble maker at RG??? ). I * have* thought of knocking on the door but (apart from the fear of being branded a mad woman!) I can only see this garden from the back across a canal and I'm not certain which number house it is from the front!
Claire

6:19 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #8

As you can only see it from a distance owing to the canal can you use, or borrow to use, some binoculars and give as accurate a description as possible of the pom pon - like leaves at the end of the branches. Are there also leaves back along the branches from these groups at the end. Just how do the leaves resemble a fern.

FuzzyWillow
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
FuzzyWillow
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

6:21 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #9

How about Gingko Biloba..

It's a shot in dark..
Kathy

FuzzyWillow
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
FuzzyWillow
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

6:23 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #10

Does the tree has "real" leaves or needles?
kathy

6:47 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #11

Oh I wish I had a digital camera then I could just take a pic to show you all, lol!
Ok, the leaves - 'real' leaves, not needles and in autumn very similar to the ones Peter pictured (what tree is that Peter?). At the moment they are quite a rich green.
From my limited arboreal knowledge I would say overall it resembles a typical English apple tree in overall shape and structure.
As far as I can see there are no leaves along the branches - each branch terminates in a rough 'sphere' of leaves.
(I was thinking of asking about another plant this person has but I daren't now I've caused so much trouble with this one! )
Claire

MarkEE
Seedling
Seedling
MarkEE
Seedling
Seedling

7:11 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #12

I think the tree Peter has posted is a Rhus Typhina. Lovely plant and grows anywhere.
Cheers,

Mark

---------------------------

Cwmbran, South Wales.

My exotic garden

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

7:20 PM - Jun 30, 2003 #13

Yes was going to say a rhus...The one known as Stags Horn Sumach is terrible for suckering in your lawn But there are a couple of others, trichocarpa, copallina, and glabra..tho this last isnt AS colourful in autumn.
PauleneS