Help! Can you help identify what is wrong with my peonies?

stamfordblooms
New Seed
New Seed

3:21 PM - Aug 31, 2018 #1

Hello all. We are newbies to gardening, and our home has a south facing garden built on an old quarry in the Midlands (England). They say the soil is clay, whatever that means. 

We've decided to begin our adventures by container gardening, and I immediately purchased peonies from the local garden shop. They remained in their original container for a month or so before we replanted to the larger container in our garden. Whilst in their original container I noticed one of the plants' leaves were slightly browning at the edges. Assuming they were potbound, we hoped that moving to a larger container would help.

Unfortunately, it has not helped and now both peony plants are browning. I've attached a few photos of both plants. The plant with browner leaves is the first one that had a problem whilst in the original container. Now I am disappointed that the second plant appears to be suffering as well. 

Does anyone know what this is? I read about peony wilt, but the pictures I found online don't appear to look like the same problem. Any idea if there is anything I can do to fix this?
IMG_1616.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG IMG_1615.JPG IMG_1614.JPG IMG_1613.JPG

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

10:24 PM - Aug 31, 2018 #2

You must remember that peony plants are not evergreen, the leaves will change colour in the Autumn before dying back, then cut them off.
New leaves will grow in  the spring. For more info see https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=671
They don't like being moved.
Re clay soil, see  http://www.sussexcountrygardener.co.uk/ ... clay-soils

clanless
Seedling
Seedling
clanless
Seedling
Seedling

4:19 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #3

Browning leaves are also a sign of over or under watering - do the containers have adequate drainage holes?

Good idea to go initially for container gardening - until you've had the chance to condition your clay soil.  Mind you some plants do thrive in clay soil - roses for example.

I have heavy clay soil and have installed some raised beds - so in reality large containers - but remember to break up the clay below the raised bed to ensure drainage.

Lack of air and drainage is the reason plants can fail in clay - otherwise clay is packed full of nutrients.

I have tried planting field beans to break up my clay soil - it did work.

Ideally you should move up a pot size when repotting plants - moving from a small to a much larger pot will encourage the roots to grow in preference to the leaves - but it does look like you've planted up with others - so this may not be an issue.

Good luck with the garden and most of all enjoy.
The clock ticks for everyone of us - it is your own choice how you spend your remaining days.

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

8:04 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #4

can't really add to the above and it could be either.