Sarny
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Sarny
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

9:33 AM - Mar 28, 2003 #1

Hello All
Thought it would be interesting to have a thread for Hanging basket recipes!! e.g. What type of basket you use, tips on types of liners & the best type of plants to use or unusual plants that have been successful in hanging baskets.
I'm looking forward to your suggestions. I fancy a change from petunias & lobelia!!
Sarny

Mrs Muggleton
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
Mrs Muggleton
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

10:45 AM - Mar 28, 2003 #2

Im putting Gazanias in mine this year, and tumbling tomatoes.
I've got one by the back door at the moment thats full of tulips with a dwarf conifer and Ivy.
I like mine with something "Permanent" like conifer or cordyline or hebe in the middle, which can be moved into the garden when the baskets emptied (if it is) for winter.
Trailing sweet peas look lovely too! and spider plants.

pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

10:53 AM - Mar 28, 2003 #3

In the courtyard I always have a couple of mixed baskets with lots of bits and pieces fighting for space

Out the front, because it is exposed to the sea I go for pelargoniums both in tubs and in the mangers

I have also done a basket of one colour violas and the large begonias, although the latter gets a bit lopsided with the weight through the summer.

Liggsy
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Liggsy
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

12:00 PM - Mar 28, 2003 #4

I'm going to experiment this year. I don't have anywhere to hang a basket, but some kind soul left me an old water boiler (nice shiny stainless steel and chrome one). It's about two or three feet tall and about 18 inches across. I'm going to upend it and plant it up with my basket/container mixture that I purchased on a whim (upright and trailing fuchsias, bacopa blue showers, white and pink pelargoniums and some which I can't remember the names of). I also have some Anagallis Skylover to add to the melee.

Image by FlamingText.com

basket1
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
basket1
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

1:31 PM - Mar 28, 2003 #5

how about morning glory black eyed susan and sweetpeas for a change with the odd trailing fushias and pelargoniums

Sarny
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Sarny
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

2:19 PM - Mar 28, 2003 #6

Wow..that was a swift response by all!!
Keep'em coming!!
Sarny
P.S. Glad that Basket didn't take the subject title the wrong way!!

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

7:42 PM - Mar 28, 2003 #7

at Sarny's PS!
I'm going to fill some of my baskets with erigeron this year. I just love daisies.
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

paddypumpkin
Seedling
Seedling

10:24 PM - Mar 28, 2003 #8

Actually the contents of all my hanging baskets are going to be edible, Tumbling Tom tomatoes, herbs, nasturtiums, thought I might try a courgette in one and I bought a great little book today about vegetables in containers with melons in hanging baskets!!!!
So the subject title is really quite apt!!

Laura Penstemon
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laura Penstemon
Established Tree
Established Tree

11:35 PM - Mar 28, 2003 #9

Great ideas about the sweet peas and morning glory, as I have loads of them and was wondering what to do with them. I shall probably go for petunias and geraniums as I am growing them from seed.
Some swan river daisies will look nice too.
Pens

Louigi
Seedling
Seedling
Louigi
Seedling
Seedling

12:13 AM - Mar 29, 2003 #10

See Sal, I am not the only one who 'cooks' and 'sews' seeds.
Sarney follows recipes for hanging baskets.

Louisa

Staff Sergeant Loopy.

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

7:44 AM - Mar 29, 2003 #11

Ooh that's a good idea. Tumbling tomatoes with nasturtiums would be nice. Got some of both ready to plant up too.
Happy cooking Louisa
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

9:08 AM - Mar 29, 2003 #12

Watching this thread with interest, as I'm a hanging basket person. Had a mixture of petunia & trailing lobellia, with a fuscia in the center, last year. Double begonias the year before, which were slow to get going, with no green house, but gave an excellent display at the heels of the hunt. Not sure what I'm doing this year. The owner of a garden centre not far from here has had me do some work for him, so I might just get him to plant them up for me, and take pot luck.

davyg
New Seed
New Seed
davyg
New Seed
New Seed

10:10 AM - Mar 29, 2003 #13

Hi Sarny,
I must admit to being a Fuchsis nut...Mine generally fuchsia only ..." good ones being 'Marinka' and 'Swingtime'I like them to be the same variety per basket but they can be mixed...get them planted in the baskets early and pinch regular...Give them a try ..
davyg

Beaver97
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
Beaver97
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

5:50 PM - Mar 29, 2003 #14

My favourite mix is sweet pea and tumbling tomatoes. Smells great and gives something to eat too.
You would (ok, may) be suprised at what a sweet pea will do when it has to trail instead of climb.

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

6:49 PM - Mar 29, 2003 #15

Hadn't thought of that Beaver. Unfortunately have just put all my sweet peas in the ground up some cane wig-wams. Will have to wait till next year to try it.
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

10:30 AM - Mar 30, 2003 #16

I'm going along with daveyg..............well, I AM another fuchsia nut!
I go for both the single variety ones and a selection of mixed baskets too - glutton for punishment!
If you're prone to dry weather in the summer ( I WISH! ) try putting some of that water retaining gell in with the compost too - saves a LOT of watering - apparently! The osmocote feed granules are supposed to be quite good too............or, just feed with a weak strength miracle gro / phostrogen etc every time you water!
Other fuchsias ( readily available) that make a good single variety basket are :-
Hidcote
Lena
Flying cloud
Alaska - the ORIGINAL all white one - there seems to be another one out now in a 'American Giants' theme of the same name, but this one is totally different!
Empress of Prussia - an oldie but goldie!
Dancing flame - pack 3 plants into a basket & just let it do it's own thing - quite spectacular!
Devonshire Dumpling
Cascade
Orange Crystal
Fascination
La Campanella
Leonora
Jack Shahan
Pink Galore
Pink Marshmallow
Quasar
Red Spider
Multi
Stanley Cash - If anybody has one of these - PLEASE do me a cutting One of this year's frost casualties
White Galore

Just doing these from memory - hence they're a tad muddled up! I'll put some more up if/when I can think of some!
I also like to do a single colour basket - eg - a BIG white fuchsia in the centre of a basket, surround with white begonias , both non-stops & trailing,or geraniums, then white trailing lobelias/swan river daisies/smaller fuchsias/verbenas/bidens/bacopas etc. That looks rather nice planted in a dark green 'solid type' basket & hung in semi-shade
Good Luck!
jo