Greenhouse workload?

paddypumpkin
Seedling
Seedling

10:33 PM - Apr 24, 2003 #1

As a relative newcomer to gardening, I got myself one of the Asda placcy greenhouses earlier this spring and have been filling it with seed trays and pots ever since. Of course, like any beginner, I have probably oversown madly, but it's such a thrill for anything to come up I don't care - imagine, I might even have some to donate to the village fete!
Anyway, I have an absurdly generous brother working in Malaysia (I would advise you all to get one of these, they are invaluable) who is insisting (I didn't beg, honest) on buying me a greenhouse of my choice for my birthday!!!! The biggest I can fit in the bottom of the garden is 6 x 8 and will have to lift a couple of potatoes to make room.
Now just this evening an old (literally) friend of mine has poured cold water over the whole thing, saying that a greenhouse is a lot of work, that I won't have time (I work part-time and have 3 small kids) and that it will 'ruin my garden' as it is quite small out back. This really shocked me as I haven't found it unmanageable up to now at all, apart from the lack of room for all the growing plants. She said there would always be loads of work to do and that I would get fed up quickly...help, please, before my brother goes ahead...I was tempted to ask whether only the retired and/or unemployed people should own greenhouses but I thought that would be cheeky...

Laura Penstemon
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laura Penstemon
Established Tree
Established Tree

11:10 PM - Apr 24, 2003 #2

Don't be put off at all. I have a new greenhoue which is 11X8 and it is fabulous. I also have 3 children and work full time but I love it!!
I don't know how old your children are, but 2 of mine are very young and so go to bed at 7.30pm. This leaves me the evening to work in the greenhouse. If you can get electricity in there you can have a light, a heater and a radio. What more could anyone want (perhaps a glass of wine??). even if this is not possible you are bound to find find the time somehow!!
Some people who don't have greenhouses or are not gardeners don't understand the joy a greenhouse brings so stick to your guns
Happy times ahead
Pens

paddypumpkin
Seedling
Seedling

11:28 PM - Apr 24, 2003 #3

Thanks, Laura...I think the radio swung it for me! My kids are 8, 5 and 3 so well able to go to bed early and yes, electricity is no prob - cable rolled out from very close garage. Thanks, that pretty much confirmed what I suspected...strangely, the lady in question has always had greenhouses but maybe, not having a family, she can't understand just how fabulous an 'escape hatch' sounds to people like me!

11:37 PM - Apr 24, 2003 #4

Go for the greenhouse. I while away many hours just looking at my seedlings, and then gaze over the fabulous view from my greenhouse. It gives me so much pleasure. How much time does it take up? as little or as much as you want it to, but just think you could be sending that time watching TV.

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

6:59 AM - Apr 25, 2003 #5

I don't have a greenhouse (more of a green house ), but wish I did. I think you should go for it - it's up to you how much time you want to spend in there.
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:23 AM - Apr 25, 2003 #6

To some people it is work and others, play. My greenhouse is my sanctuary. It is a polytent, but large, two together so about 10X24 feet and just like owning a boat, I get footitis and always could do with another foot. It is packed right now, with geraniums, baskets, begonias and many seedlings. I am very busy too, but I always find time to play in the greenhouse, and love the fact that I can have a more colourful garden as it doesn't cost as much with a greenhouse, because of wintering. Some of my geraniums are 15 years old. Very big and very beautiful. How lucky your are to be able to get a glass one. Enjoy and have fun with it!
(Wedgie)PaulineWedgwood House Bed & BreakfastLantzville-by-the-Sea, Nr. Nanaimo on Beautiful Vancouver Island.
Paulina

Wedgwood House

Haven to share with family and friends.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

8:00 AM - Apr 25, 2003 #7

well i must be totally mad i have 4 greenhouses on the allotments(2 of them)ok no kids but 5 dogs and other pets and i work 10am to midnight 7 days a week, and i wouldnt be without my greenhouses
Dawn

sgss
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
sgss
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

2:29 PM - Apr 25, 2003 #8

dont listen to your friend, but i would recomend you to get the biggest one you (or brother) can afford as you will never have enough room

wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

3:52 AM - Apr 26, 2003 #9

That's what I would say too, go for the BIGGEST you can get, as you probably will wish you had when you get started.
(Wedgie)PaulineWedgwood House Bed & BreakfastLantzville-by-the-Sea, Nr. Nanaimo on Beautiful Vancouver Island.
Paulina

Wedgwood House

Haven to share with family and friends.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

basket1
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
basket1
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

6:48 PM - Apr 27, 2003 #10

i totally agree with the rest GET A GREENHOUSE not only is it cheaper to grow from seed or protect your plants over winter its very theraputic and certainly a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of daily life a place of peace and quiet the amount of time you spend in your greenhouse will entirley be upto you but you must go in and check the moisture levels of your plants at least once a day
i got one greenhouse and low and behold i know have two I WONDER WHY ????????? be WARNED get the biggest you can and certainly think hard about staging if youve someone whos good at DIY all well and good but you certainly run out of space and shelving fast

sixfootdwarf
Seedling
Seedling

7:07 PM - Apr 27, 2003 #11

i dont know about being a lot of hard work but i do know they are addictive i have 2 plus cold frames and i am as we speak scouring the ad mag for those magic words buyer to collect

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

7:09 PM - Apr 27, 2003 #12

Basket i agree but the bath makes a great spare area to put seed trays
Dawn xxxxxxxxxxxxx