Greenhouse Light

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

9:42 PM - Oct 11, 2003 #1

My greenhouse has arrived - it's in lots of boxes and stored in the garage until next Thursday when the man comes along to install it - at 7.30 am!! (I may even get in before 8.00 am to say good morning that day )
I've talked to the electrician who is going to install the electrics and he suggests installing a light suitable for using as an outdoor security light as it will be water/condensation proof. I was wondering whether that would be too bright for working in in comfort - what do you think?
Are there such things as special greenhouse lights - I don't mean one of those 'daylight' lights just one for general illumination? and if so, where can I buy one smartish?

undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

11:13 PM - Oct 11, 2003 #2

Used an "Appleby" bulkhead fitting in ours, up to a 100 watt lamp if you want. They can be used outside, so should be watertight for the greenhouse.
Electrical wholesalers should have one in stock.
I can feel the excitement
Malcolm
Lyn and Malcolms Garden

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

11:22 PM - Oct 11, 2003 #3

Thanks Malcolm, if that's what you use it must the OK.
Yup, its very frustrating seeing the greenhouse sitting around in it's boxes - but it's better that way than we have a go at putting it together - we might end up with a couple of cold frames instead.

h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

4:42 AM - Oct 14, 2003 #4

If your spark means something like a 70watt metal halide lamp, that would be brill. Very close to daylight in electrical lamp terms. Plants like halide light, and if you wanted to extend your daylight hrs, it would be perfect. Just stay away from the tungsten halogen type. Expensive to run.
The appleby bulkhead would be fine CA, and they are cheap. I would be inclined to use an energy efficient lamp for economic running. You would want a 20watt one, which is equivelant to 100watt bulb.The only downside there is that they take a couple of minutes to come to their full brightness, but if you were running it for any length of time, it would be much cheaper. You can get twirly ones now, which are much more compact, and will fit in that bulkhead. Example: www.deslamps.co.uk/produc...1057323806 Those ones are priced at 5.50, but you should be able to buy them for around 4. (If using a bukhead, you will need the spiral type, as the tubed type won't fit. Be sure and check when buying.) Also consider a vapour proof flourescent fitting. Much better light, but more expensive. That would be my choice. Depends on the size of your green house, as to the size, of your fitting 2, 3, 4, 5, 6ft. Example: www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/...p;id=17280 That's a 5ft. Again, probably best to buy local.
Screwfix prices on low energy lamps are quite good, but they don't seem to do the spiral ones, and I think they charge a packing & handling charge, another name for delivery charge in my book. Hope this goes some way to help, or does it just confuse?
If you have any questions, please ask. Good luck.

Laura Penstemon
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laura Penstemon
Established Tree
Established Tree

12:31 PM - Oct 14, 2003 #5

CA,
I bet you are excited!! I know nothing about the technical stuff, but all I can say is
a) Make sure it is quite bright as mine is far too dull, so I have candle lamps too.
b) Don't position it to near where you are going to work, or you will cast a shadow over the bench and you won't be able to see a blooming thing...(now guess who made that mistake??)
Don't forget a picture when its up!
Pens

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

6:37 PM - Oct 14, 2003 #6

Thanks for the recommendations Denis - I've printed it out so that I can talk to the electrician about it - it is very kind of you to go to so much trouble for me
Good point Pens, especially about the positioning - I bet whereever I put it it will be wrong for some tasks but I'll have a very careful thunk about it and play with a torch before getting it installed.
The electrician did suggest putting the sockets on to a board and leaving enough of the armoured cable so that I could move the board if they're in the wrong place . . . all these decisions . . . I thought having a greenhouse was meant to be fun . . . my poor brain can't cope.
Only two day's to go