Greenhouse door

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

7:30 PM - Nov 01, 2003 #1

I did warn you that there'd be lots of questions.
How do people sort out bubblewrapping the greenhouse door? I know Malcolm has his on a frame but we haven't got that creative yet . . . we can get into the greenhouse by lifting a free falling flap of bubblewrap - but it's a bit of a problem propping it up during the day when we have the door open for ventilation. How do others cope?

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

7:50 PM - Nov 01, 2003 #2

Couple of clothes pegs CA, and peg it to itself, ie bottom to the top

David
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
David
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

8:00 PM - Nov 01, 2003 #3

Don't attempt to permanently cocoon the entire glasshouse in insulation; it is unlikely to be necessary. Keep your roll up length above the door and drop it only if a very severe frost is forecast.David - Cumbria - UK

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

9:08 PM - Nov 01, 2003 #4

Clothes Pegs - why didn't I think of that? I had thought of a bulldog clip but decided it would burst the bubbles.
Right David, I'll note that too - we don't get a lot of hard frosts in this area - just the odd sneaky one when we think the danger is past!

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

11:56 AM - Nov 02, 2003 #5

I don't have this problem with mine because it is a wooden framed greenhouse, so a few drawing pins does the trick.
Equally it allows me to line the ouside of my greenhouse rather than the inside,thus avoiding sagging bubble wrap.
This idea only came from experience ......my first greenhouse was aluminium.
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

6:17 PM - Nov 02, 2003 #6

Hey, hadn't thought of wrapping the outside- mine's wooden too, so I might try that this year- thanks, Scotia.
Caroline

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

12:57 PM - Nov 03, 2003 #7

Just a word of advice Nigella,
I only use drawing pins on the door.
On the walls and roof I trap the liner under thin laths screwed to the greenhouse frame.
Up here in the wild and woolly Pennines this is essential if I want it to stay on.
I did consider making removable frames, but I have nowhere to store them when not in use.
At least now I can roll the liner up and store it and the laths wrap up into a neat bundle, so storage is not a problem .

The other thing is I don't use 'bubble' wrap, I came across a source of cellophane a number of years ago and because it is fitted over the framing it form a gap between it and the glass, a form of double glazing if you like.
I find because the cellophane is totally transparent (like glass) I get better light penetration than I would with 'bubble'wrap, so this gives me another advantage.
Dont let this put you off, give it a try, at least you will find out if it is suited to your needs, if not you can revert back in subsequent years.
Hope this helps.
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

moth01
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
moth01
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:24 PM - Nov 03, 2003 #8

I have my bubble wrap on the outside too. Norm made a wooden frame to fit the greenhouse on the outside and tacked bubble wrap on to it From Moth

7:13 AM - Nov 04, 2003 #9

I haven't got anything in the greenhouse yet, it's about time I started clearing it out because it's full of pots at the moment.
Louisa

Staff Sergeant Loopy

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

11:00 AM - Nov 04, 2003 #10

I got lots of pots too...wish I'd cleaned them as I went along

Kitty

Rosie
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Rosie
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

11:17 PM - Nov 04, 2003 #11

I've always wanted to know the answer to that one CA, don't have any b. wrap on the door at the mo...but clothes pegs are a great idea
Rosie xx