Established Tree
Pip at Home
Established Tree
Established Tree

9:18 AM - Mar 02, 2008 #1

Nepeta

(2/3/02 1:35:39 am)

Grape vine
I am thinking of planting a grape vine in one of my polytunnels. Can anyone advise me on a suitable variety of dessert grape, when
to plant, etc. I have never grown one before.

Thanks,

Nepeta

alan gould

Unregistered User

(2/3/02 8:48:02 am)

grape vine

There's a wide choice of red, white or green dessert grapes available which will do well in a polytunnel. We have always done well with Black
Homburgh, a lovely large red eating grape which also makes good wine. If you want extra large 'hospital' grapes, you can reduce the number of
them in any bunch and the remaining ones will grow larger.

If you have a grape vine of any type, it will require regular pruning, summer and winter to prevent it taking the polytunnel over. Cut all new stems
back to two buds. A vine will also need frost protection at the time when the flowers are emerging.

Allan Veggie

Unregistered User

(2/3/02 2:05:43 pm)

Grapes
I have grown Golden Chasselas for many years first in a greenhouse and now in several of my polytunnels. It is quite an old
variety and is endorsed by Dr D. Hessayon and Bob Flowerdew.

It can be grown outside in favoured areas but is totally happy in my polytunnels, cropping heavily and of good dessert quality.Frost has never been a
problem.

From what I have heard about Black Hamburg which is at Hampton Court, it is more of a hothouse variety. You may like to get in touch with Read's
Nursery, they hold a large stock of grapes and I am sure will be pleased to advise you.

I do have several plants of Golden Chasselas without homes and could supply one for a reasonable sum to cover carriage costs.

Allan

german Marco

(2/3/02 2:24:27 pm)

Resistant Grapes
If you like to plant vine grapes, plant fungi-resistant grapes, which dont needed to "sprayed". I prefer the two
brand-new German cultivars of Vitis vinifera . This cultivars call Phoenix (you see this white grape on my homepage) and Regent (red one) and both are
very good table- and also wine-grapes. This both are the main part of my own red- and whitewine and my preferred table-grapes. I live in a
"Vineyard-Area" and have a very good and low priced source for this resistant grapes. If someone is interested, contact me. I could organize
such plants from February to April.

If you want mor informations abou grape go to my homepage

www.markus-abel.de/opening.htm

Markus

pipnsox

ezOP

(2/5/02 11:03:01 am)

Re: Resistant Grapes
Nepeta - Markus is writing a lot of information about grapes for the table and for wine in the Gardeners Diary (accessible from
the homepage).

He has the first section in at the moment which gives tells us all about the different varieties (January). Could be well worth a look

Nepeta

(2/5/02 12:38:02 pm)

Re: Resistant Grapes
Thanks everyone.

Phoenix sounds like my kind of grape, I fancy having a go at winemaking too! I am off to Yorkshire on Thursday for a week, but when I come back I will
have a scout round the local nurseries to see what I can find.

german Marco

(2/12/02 12:12:45 am)

Phoenix and other resistant grapes
Hi Nepeta,

hope you can get this grapes in the UK. If you would not; contact me I can give you a good source for Regent and Phoenix.

Greetings

Markus