Getting a greenhouse

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

3:16 PM - Jul 05, 2003 #1

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I've searched the archives and can't find it . . . so . . .
We are going to buy a greenhouse and I would appreciate advice from seasoned greenhouse owners. I know to buy the biggest we can because they are never big enough but the size will be restricted because of the size of level plot available.
1. What sort of base is best? We are thinking of asking our builder to put down a concrete base - is this a good idea or should it be paving stones?
2. If a concrete base, how much bigger than the greenhouse should it be?
3. We are near the sea so there are quite strong winds at times - is an aluminium frame strong enough to withstand some buffetting?
4. What sort of glass, is horticultural glass OK or should it be toughened? (No children in the home or likely to be visiting.)
5 Any other points you wish you'd known before buying your own greenhouse.
Many thanks, I'm getting excited although I know that it could be six months before everything is up and running . . . hopefully in time for next Spring.

undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:35 PM - Jul 05, 2003 #2

Hi Christine
Re the greenhouse.
1 We put down a concrete base and then concrete slabbed it, for looks. We didn't want to grow anything in borders inside, you will have a slightly warmer greenhouse, as the base will warm up on a sunny day and hold some of its heat at night, and its cleaner.
2 As regards the size of the base. The greenhouse usually needs a course or more of bricks to stand on, the base of the greenhouse is often an angle aluminium bar, (if you are having a aluminium greenhouse) the angle hangs down over the edge of the bricks. Anyway the instructions for the greenhouse will tell you the size. I prefer to get the greenhouse, then make the base (less chance of error).
3 The strength of the greenhouse is proportional to the price you pay for it. We have a Robinsons, not cheap but very strong, and it took longer to assemble than a cheap one, as they are engineered to a higher level, and are harder to fit together.
4 Glass, as you know toughened is much more expensive to buy, (we did not have an option) it was toughened or nothing. If a replacement toughened panel is required, then it is not a case of going to the nearest glazier and asking for a piece of glass to be cut. One advantage with toughened is that quite often the toughened panels are larger than the untoughened, so you have less overlaps, where algae can form, ie on the roof.
5 Ours has a double sliding door, great for taking a barrow in, or lugging large pots with plants in. Make sure you have plenty of windows/side vents. Check the side eave heights, as they do vary with make of greenhouse, it's good to have as high as possible, more room for you and plants on staging. If you can get electric to the greenhouse, it's a great help. As is water, run a hose pipe underground to it.
We bought ours from an agent on the internet, who lived near Southampton, several hundred pound cheaper than going direct to maker or from showground, can't remember who, but will look in my files. If I find out will let you know. I think we had to wait about 6 weeks for it to be ready to be delivered from the manufacturer.
Lyn and Malcolm
Ferndown
Dorset

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

8:49 PM - Jul 05, 2003 #3

Thanks Lyn or Malcolm. You comments are very helpful - We're hoping to get someone to erect it for us - neither of us are very 'handy' and its a bit expensive to risk getting wrong. There's lots of time for us to get ourselves sorted as the patch it will go on is a forest of weeds at the moment (or should that be 'a wildlife garden'?) Because of site restrictions the only size we can get is 10 x 8 and even then it has to be levelled before it can be used. It's right by the garage so we should be able to get power to it fairly easily and I'm hoping that water won't cause too many problems either.

Laura Penstemon
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laura Penstemon
Established Tree
Established Tree

11:03 PM - Jul 05, 2003 #4

Wow all that sounds very technical. My greenhouse was second hand and steve put it up on the edge of the patio. It has a concrete base, and is aluminium with sliding doors. The glass is normal (but I have it surrounded to keep the children away!).
You will love having one Chris, its great, I have Tomatoes, peppers, aubergines and melons growing in it, as well as a small olive tree and...
Hope it all goes OK!
Pens

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

4:46 AM - Jul 06, 2003 #5

My greenhouse is wood framed. It stands on a concrete base round the walls and I have beds inside. Proving very useful ay the mo for cucumbers and bringing on Tomatoes. I rarely get high winds in the back garden They hit the front of the house

undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

8:51 AM - Jul 06, 2003 #6

Christine
I mentioned we bought our greenhouse through an agent near southampton at a good price. Here is his website with lots of information. He does several manufacturers greenhouses.
www.greenhouses.uk.net/
Malcolm
Lyn and Malcolms Garden

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

6:15 PM - Jul 06, 2003 #7

Thanks again Malcolm, I've looked at your recommended site and saved it to show OH - there are lots of tips on it which I wouldn't have thought of.
Thanks Hawgwild too for putting up all those photos - it looks like hard work but your 'hothouse' is certainly well built (a bit beyond our diy skills tho )
Pens and Kitty - I'm getting more excited by the minute - and we haven't even started clearing the site yet. OH decided yesterday that we are going to have to take down some of the fencing next to the site and put up new - another delay.
I'll pop outside and take a piccie of 'the site' so that I can compare it with how it looks this time next year