BunnyNo2
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
BunnyNo2
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

1:02 PM - Nov 11, 2003 #1

My Ficus doesn't want to come in!
It's getting near freezing out side some nights, but when I bring him in he sulks & his leaves go brown & fall off.
Then I have to put him back outside & he recovers.
Do you think it's cos I left him outside for so long that he came to like the cold weather, or is it just the shock of coming into central heating?
The trouble is that there's no inbetween. It's either outside or a warm inside. I have no inbetweenie place.

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

3:41 PM - Nov 11, 2003 #2

Has he spent a winter outdoors before Freddie? I have 2 ficus (indoors) which periodically drop a lot of their leaves. It usually happens in the summer if they get dry. But they always seem to grow a new set.
I found this on the web
Quote:
A ficus tree can probably withstand 32 degrees or lower for a very short period. However, for night-long periods of time, it is best to keep it above 50 degrees F. An hour or more at freezing temperatures can kill the ficus. Extended periods of time (hours) below 40 degrees and perhaps slightly higher temperatures can result in "chilling injury" (damage to the plant at temperatures above freezing). This is because the ficus is a tropical tree and cannot adapt to low temperatures.
and also this
Quote:
While i agree mostly with what you are saying, i do see people who manage to kill off plants which should be very strong. The acclimation period when they come home can be a difficult time for both the plant and the owner if they are inexperienced. For instance, i know you've stated that your new ficuses (ficii? hehe) don't drop leaves when acclimating, but for most people that's not the case. They buy a Ficus benjamina as their first houseplant, set it down in a low light location, and water the heck out of it. The tree drops all (or most of) its leaves due to the light change, they freak out and water it some more. Roots rot, tree dies, they blame it on ficus being "fussy" when the real problem was that they panicked.
The first seems to be saying there's no chance of it surviving outside. The second says that it is the changes in light level which cause the leaf drop and it is normal.
Reckon you'll have to bring it in anyway, not overwater it and hope it grows new leaves once it has dropped
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx