ensete ventricosum seeds & sweet pea

titchmarsh
Seedling
Seedling
titchmarsh
Seedling
Seedling

11:21 AM - Jan 08, 2004 #1

Happy new year to all,been back to Greece for xmas,rained all the time!!I have purchased some banana seeds,ensete ventricosum,have the experts any info for the correct germination of these?Mywife also would like to know the best way of starting sweet peas off.
thanks titchmarsh

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

11:58 AM - Jan 08, 2004 #2

No idea about Bananas but sweet peas I know a bit.
Look in my website for my way of growing them it works!
But saying that I am trying something new this year. I am going to sow at least a month later!
What has brought this action on is; the last two year my sweet peas have been finished by mid to end of August.
I think this was brought on with strange weather we have had in late spring early summer in both years. i.e. hot when it would normally be cool and vice versa.
How I propose to do this is with 'heat'
Normally seed is germinated at relatively low temperatures, this year I am going to up the temperature,and get them off to a good start, then give them the best lit part of the greenhouse to grow on in.
Then perhaps I can win the sweet pea section with flowers that have more than one pair of petals on them.
Having said all that............whats the odds of the weather being the same this year as it has been the last two?
l

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

12:43 PM - Jan 08, 2004 #3

try this place of tips on growing tropicals its great mind you may order a few more
www.jungleseeds.co.uk/

10:32 PM - Jan 08, 2004 #4

Musa Ensette is easily grown if the seed is not too old. they germinate best at a temperature of about 30 degrees centigrade (warmer than most propagators) In the past I have floated the seeds in my tropical fish tank to keep them warmand to soak them. then plantred after a day or two and placed them in the airing cupboard the seedlings emerge anything between a week and three months they will emerge with quite thick shoots so you will not miss them. Transplant when they have two leaves. the plants will make 3 to 4 foot of growth in their first year in their second they may be in excess of 10 feet. I hope this is of assistance to you it is a method I have used more than once
Regards Richard

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

11:29 PM - Jan 08, 2004 #5

Thanks Richard im going top sow mine tomorow and the brugs so its

titchmarsh
Seedling
Seedling
titchmarsh
Seedling
Seedling

8:27 PM - Jan 10, 2004 #6

Thanks Scotia,my wife is now looking forward to the best s.peas in France!!!!!!Richard are you supposed to nick the seeds?I've no airing cupboard so have made a polstyrene seed box,hope that works.

10:15 PM - Jan 10, 2004 #7

Soaking the seeds should be enough lightly nicking the seed coat may well work too but when I have tried this before, I have not had great success .the soaking method worked with ensette for me yieldind 11 plants from 12 seeds.Good Luck
Regards Richard

Brightlingsea
Seedling
Seedling

4:38 PM - Jan 18, 2004 #8

I bought a pot of sweet pea seedlings from the Church Bazaar 29th November. They have not got a name. I've kept them in the car port since but noticed some were failing so now they are in the conservatory and growing rather fast.
I've been picking off the tops and hope this is OK as they seem slow to shoot sideways. I got given another 3 pots as no "sensible" person would take them on. Please let me know if they will be OK in the Spring. Thank you.

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

4:49 PM - Jan 18, 2004 #9

It's fine to pinch the tops out Brightlingsea. When you want to move them outside, harden them off gradually over a period of a week or so, starting with a couple of hours outside a day. Although sweet peas are hardy, they might get a shock if they go straight outside after the warmth of the house. They should be fine.

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree

5:30 PM - Jan 18, 2004 #10

Brightlingsea
I think you said you had them in the carport (which I think is a roof and no sides?). I would think, if that is the case, that they would be fine to go right out without too much in the way of hardening off. But best be on the safe side. Laurel

Brightlingsea
Seedling
Seedling

10:07 PM - Jan 19, 2004 #11

Thank you Laurel & Salli. The car port has 3 sides & a roof but opens facing North - also there is a gap between fence & roof on the East side so not terribly warm but usually frost free. I can hide some stuff behind a sort of partition (we don't keep a car in it!) but man in charge has filled this part with some woodwork project so my bits and pieces are confined to odd bits of concrete floor. The conservatory is a bit cool at present so I'll just wait for the weather to warm up a bit.

Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree

11:53 PM - Jan 19, 2004 #12

Brightlingsea - I think what you have is a giant coldframe!!! I would act accordingly............ Laurel

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

3:10 PM - Jan 20, 2004 #13

Sweet peas are as hardy as old boots.
I think your problem is lack of light this is making them leggy and what ever you do be careful with the watering!
Is the car port roof transparent? if so, get the pots up as high as possible so that they can catch maximum light.
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

Brightlingsea
Seedling
Seedling

7:24 PM - Jan 20, 2004 #14

OK Scotia - thanks. The pots are now to be mounted on top of man in charge's woodwork project. He won't notice for weeks I hope.