Dogwood trees

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

3:40 PM - Sep 01, 2003 #1

I have about decided in replacing the water Maples in my front yard to plant a couple of White flowering Dogwoods in their place.
Is anyone growing any ? Any advice for a total novice when it comes to trees ?
How fast they grow and had you had any problems with the dogwood borer (?) ?Theresa
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

6:49 AM - Sep 02, 2003 #2

Hi Theresa,
I do not personally have any white, but if I did, I would choose "Eddie's White Wonder". It is amazing and the blossoms heavily fill the tree, almost to bringing the branches down. It's a true beaut., that's for sure.
I have a pink one and it is doing really well, but it is not really the one I would have preferred. That would have been "Florida Rubens" have you heard or seen that one. It is simply gorgeous.
Never heard of the Dogwood borer. I am not sure if we get it in these parts. Dogwoods are native to our area and the south west lower mainland of British Columbia.
Missed you guys lately. Hope you've been having a great season up to now.
Wedgie.
PaulineWedgwood House Bed & BreakfastLantzville-by-the-Sea, Nr. Nanaimo on Beautiful Vancouver Island.
Paulina

Wedgwood House

Haven to share with family and friends.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

6:09 PM - Sep 02, 2003 #3

Hi , Wedgie ! I've missed you . Hope all is well with you and yours .
They grow native around here , too. Makes for a spectacular Spring.
Yes, I have seen the Cornus florida 'Rubens' - beautiful very -opted against it because the info said susceptible to black spot - that has been a problem in these parts. I've also looked at the 'Cherokee Chief's - one is and one isn't but can't find my handy dandy notebook I wrote it all down in .They are a gorgeous red pink white blend .
Another I guess species is the Cornus controversa sp.? - no white blooming -Gets a bit larger than the Floridas.
Those , Weeping Willows , and Eastern Redbud are my favorites.
Also looking into a Prunus cisteria sp.? 'Thundercloud' - purple leaf Plum to go in the back with the Bradford Pear .Trees are new to me - we had always rented before .You don't plant trees at rentals.So nice to plant them now Theresa
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:13 PM - Sep 02, 2003 #4

....and it's never too late Theresa, though the earlier you can plant, the better. We carved our property out of a forest and were a little disappointed that the trees were mostly Alder and other deciduous trees. When we started clearing, we were amazed to see a beautiful peremeter of evergreens, mostly cedar - so that is what we cleared too. It was very majestic looking, so we were really pleased, but in time we realized that the property was still missing something, and that was blossom trees, so gradually introduced these and what an amazing difference it makes in the Spring and with texture throughout the rest of the year. It is really difficult to fit any more in as we do not wish to be totally in the shade, so we pretty well had to draw the line. This is what we have. Three of the red/purple Japanese flowering plums, lining part of our driveway (I think you said you will be growing this too. Also three blush cherry trees, one pink saucer magnolia, white and pink star magnolias and the pink dogwood. They sure have made a difference! Can you grow the Japanese red maples in your zone. We have a beauty, but we dug it up and brought it from our other house as it was a gift. It is very large now. I would still like to fit in a weeping willow though, but goodness knows where, as they like the sun, I believe and the spot I would really like to put it is quite shady!! I apologise for not using botanical names. I think we are very bad generally in this country for not, but now I belong to the Hort. Soc., I think I have to learn them in a helluva hurry, otherwise won't always know what they're all talking about What is an Eastern Redbud?
Have a great day
Wedgie PaulineWedgwood House Bed & BreakfastLantzville-by-the-Sea, Nr. Nanaimo on Beautiful Vancouver Island.
Paulina

Wedgwood House

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

8:53 PM - Sep 02, 2003 #5

Cercis canadensis My apologies to you - I had to go look up the botanical name
Pauline , we have such similiar tastes it is almost scary !Glad to know I do have good taste after all
Been looking at all you have listed . Liked the saucer cup Magnolia - blooms and leaf form .Love that glossy waxy leaf and the smell of the blooms are heavenly .
I can safely plant 3 trees in front - right now they have 3 mature water maples .I don't know the botanical on them .They are showing signs of damage so taking them down is a must .The tricky part is I already have all my shade plants out front so I am replacing the 2 outside trees first one with a dogwood then after they get up a bit , I'll take down the middle tree.Leaning towards the saucer Magnolia and the Redbud as the other replacements.
The Prunus 'Thundercloud' I know is a definite on the back . I think it is a Japanese plum . Very pretty fluffy blooms.I had like the Copper Beech but it is proving to be difficult to locate .Don't want to go mail order for a tree. I'd like to get them at least a couple years old if not older .
The biggest thing with the willow are the branchest are brittle and it is a water hog ! I planted it out in the middle of my back yard so any falling branches wouldn't do damage and it is on my curtain drain so water not an issue.
Like you , I love the Spring blooms on my trees . We have dogwoods and redbuds all up and down the sides of the roads . What is they say "You covet what you
see " ? Yep - I sure do !
Theresa

wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
wedgwoodhouse
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

8:38 AM - Sep 03, 2003 #6

Would also love room for the beautiful pink Japanese Cherry, Sorry, at a loss for the name again, but the most popular one with the huge mid-pink blossoms - but no more room at this inn. Good luck with all your tree plantings Theresa PaulineWedgwood House Bed & BreakfastLantzville-by-the-Sea, Nr. Nanaimo on Beautiful Vancouver Island.
Paulina

Wedgwood House

Labonne
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Labonne
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

10:12 AM - Sep 03, 2003 #7

Wanna.
Cornus are marvellous so many shapes and sizes, and I agree with the Eddies White Wonder choice.
My favourite is Cornus alternifolia Argentea. Which is in my front garden, though only a baby. It is variegated and tiered like a wedding cake (and similar to C. controversa.) Good for small gardens.

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

12:26 PM - Sep 03, 2003 #8

Great for small gardens? Then that would mean I could fit it in my back yard . Will look it up , Labonne.I like the variegated foliage - that would be an added interest . Just the ones I had seen so far were too big for back .I want the larger C.controversa for the front yard. No power lines or septic system so free rein .I like the canopy .
Wedgie, you have a nice day -I'll keep you posted on my progress . Glad you had a minute .Theresa