Danelions and Docks

DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

February 18th, 2004, 11:54 pm #1

Can anyone come up with a good way of getting rid of these.
Last year I dug a new bed 40' x 8' ish, It was previously grass, which did have dandelions and docks in it that were kept under control by mowing, as I'm not precious about having a great lawn.
When I dug the bed I got out as much root as possible, but now I have dozens of tiny dandelions and a few tiny dock in the new bed, and as usual they are groring quite close to the plants. So digging then out is not really an option, nor is wholesale spraying of the area.
There are lots of annual weeds there too, but I tend to leave these until the perennials that are just emerging are a little bigger, so I don't weed these as well, Once this weeding is done, I intend to mulch with a good layer of cocoa shell, wich I have found is pretty good as a mulch, cat, slug and snail deterrant.

Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree

February 19th, 2004, 12:16 am #2

DeeDee
If you can't dig or spray then all you can do is prod around with something like a knife or dibber and loosen their roots and pick them out by hand. It sounds like they are too close to the proper plants for enthusiastic hoeing!
For dandelion, creeping buttercup and such like I have a patent device from Lakeland called a Speedy Weeder (or possibly Weedy!) which allows you to target individual weeds but they have to be a bit bigger than seedlings. Very effective on the right sized weed!
Edit: Sorry, don't know anything about getting rid of docks - it's one of the few things we don't have at the allotment, or at least on my bit!Laurel

trevor211
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
trevor211
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

February 19th, 2004, 12:25 am #3

Don't know if you can still get a small bottle of gell that you paint on the weeds. The brush is fixed to the cap, this has worked for me in the past.
Trevor

cwmhill
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
cwmhill
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

February 19th, 2004, 1:33 am #4

just keep hoeing them as soon as they come and then the roots will die

cwm
CWM

OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

February 19th, 2004, 4:05 am #5

Being deep rooted they can be very pernicisious, can't they?
I wonder how many there are? Like Trevor, I've painted the few I've had with a Glosphate weedkiller as I confess I've never had that many so haven't tried hoeing them, so it will be interesting to hear other experiences.

hkk66
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
hkk66
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

February 19th, 2004, 8:44 am #6

I will watching this thread closely as I have a lot of docks in my garden.
helen

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

February 19th, 2004, 8:54 am #7

I have never had docks, but have sometimes resorted to painting glyphosate onto dandelion leaves when they're too near to plants to dig out effectively.

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

February 19th, 2004, 10:30 am #8

I read recently about using a "weed glove". unfortunately it was in a library book so haven't got it anymore, but I think it was a case of a thick rubber glove with weedkiller on & wiping it on to the target leaves, though whether you could do this without touching the other plants I'm not sure.
By the way, dawn, thanks for your brilliant botany advice- it's really helpful.
Caroline

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

February 19th, 2004, 11:57 am #9

I prefer Cwm's way best, i.e. hoeing.
This is fine when the surrounding plants are quite small,and you can get into them then the other methods tend to come into play.
Concensus that spraying is out because of the surrounding plants is not strictly true in my book.
Try this; make some sort of funnel that you can sit over the offending weed the let blast into the funnel with your glyphosate weed killer. The funnel will prevent 'overspray'
The funnel could be a bottomless pot, a rosepot comes to mind as they are much deeper than standard pots.
A piece of rainwater fall pipe would also do.
Then there are 'bulb planter' the type you press in with your foot, pushing this in around the offending weed will fetch out a core of soil and hopefully the weed root.
The weed root might snap off, so there is chances that the weed will regrow,but if you keep an eye open for this then you can hoe it off and eventually kill it.
A weed fork (2 pronged) can sometimes do the trick.
But I think the key to it all, is to remember that this is not a 'once a year' job.
Regular hoeing is paramount, and if nothing else this ensures that your garden is always tidy, the root system breathe better, better moisture retention,you might spot another pest in the process so prevent an epidemic of something.
Sorry about that.............I don't like weeding either
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

February 19th, 2004, 12:45 pm #10

Nigella,
A rubber glove with an old sock over the top works just as well
would this work for you, DeeDee? It's a bit more accurate than spraying
jo

MaCoggon
Seedling
Seedling
MaCoggon
Seedling
Seedling

February 20th, 2004, 3:18 pm #11

I like my daisy grubber for dandelions because it's long and thin so you can get right down deep without chopping off the roots of the nearby plants.
Ma Coggon