Daffodils - advice please

1patrick
Seedling
Seedling
1patrick
Seedling
Seedling

May 21st, 2004, 10:20 pm #1

I am sorting out someone's garden but need help re: daffodils. A whole border of daffodils - blocking view from the kitchen window - need tieing, I assume, but how is best to tie them - in groups/bunches? (no time to do it individually and don't want to cut them). Any thoughts. I'm sure someone out there will come up with the answer.
Cheers
patrick

May 21st, 2004, 10:58 pm #2

Dont...I believe is the answer Patrick, its best to let them die back giving them a feed of blood fish & bone (or similar).
Picklemonster

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

May 22nd, 2004, 5:45 am #3

Pickle is right Patrick. If the bulb leaves are tied up, they are unable to absorb the sunlight fully, unable to photosynthesise and therefore unable to feed the bulb for next year's flowers. They should be left well alone until they have turned brown and died off naturally.

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

PaulineM
Established Tree
Established Tree
PaulineM
Established Tree
Established Tree

May 22nd, 2004, 8:15 am #4

Now I leave all mine (and it's not that many!) to die off naturally - other things grow in to cover them anyway. But I'm sure I heard on GW last year that it's OK to cut the leaves off 6 weeks after the flowers have faded. Or have the experts changed their minds again?

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

May 22nd, 2004, 5:47 pm #5

I go along with Pauline, particularly if the tips of the the leaves are begining to turn yellow.
Obviously the longer they are left the better, but if needs must I work to this method.
http:/www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

1patrick
Seedling
Seedling
1patrick
Seedling
Seedling

May 22nd, 2004, 8:52 pm #6

cheers, folks.