composting question

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

1:11 AM - Jun 26, 2004 #1

sister in law wants to know if it is ok to put arrum lily on a compost heap as her's was blown down in the wind and had to be cut back but she is un sure if its toxic or not

Dawn's garden

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

5:37 AM - Jun 26, 2004 #2

I see no reason why she should not add the foliage and any flowers to her compost heap; roots also if she takes a spade and chops them up to help decomposition. I doubt if any plant toxicity would be carried over to be harmful in any way after composting. Not the same as carrying over pests, bacterial and fungal diseases which might end up attacking growing plants. Peter
Website

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

1:04 PM - Jun 26, 2004 #3

Thanks Peter
Dawn's garden

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

10:34 AM - Jun 27, 2004 #4

With that in mind can you put foxglove on the compost as it is poisonous

Kitty

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

11:23 AM - Jun 27, 2004 #5

Again I would say yes, Kitty. Perhaps someone can tell me differently but I have no evidence through my gardening that any noxious plant substances will carry over in the compost heap and subsequently do damage. Only in so far as seeds or roots may survive and an unwanted plant appear after using poorly composted material. What plant material is poisonous to humans is not usually so to other plants. As far as I'm aware the only danger lies in the ingestion by humans and some animals of sap and fruit of poisonous plants.
Peter
Website