Pip at Home
Established Tree
Established Tree

12:03 PM - Mar 02, 2008 #1

Lou

Unregistered User

(2/19/02 12:40:04 pm)

Weeds
Ok, I've a new garden of around 300 m/sq. We had the soil brought in in December (very cheap stuff but good)

Now we've had the winter rains it's obviously filled with weeds. We came home to England for a month and now have a lovely spread f foot
high prickely, luctious weeds.

We need to hurry and prepare the area for turf or grass seed. Any advise on how we can get rid of the stuff fairly quickly as there just isn't
enough time in weekends.

Please help as our backs can't take much more! Luv and Hugs

Lou.

alan gould

Unregistered User

(2/19/02 8:45:42 pm)

lawn

If you are going to have lawn on the area described, there is no need to worry too much about green shoots you see springing up in your new soil. A
large proportion of them will not survive being mowed - those that do are often companion plants to grass like clovers or pretty wildflowers such
as daisies, buttercups etc.

Prepare your area by raking it flat - you can pick out any obvious weed herbage or roots as you do that, but don't try to eliminate every last
one. Either seed it or turf it, then let it really settle down before you begin mowing. It will take the lawn at least three years to reach a high
standard, but once it is established, and if it is well cared for, it will last a lifetime.

ItsmeAlanB

(2/19/02 11:50:25 pm)

Re:
lawn
Alan , most of my clients consider daisies and buttercups to be weeds (as I do ) and want them removed !!.

In an existing lawn how would you remove them ?? Ive tried all the usual over the counter Chems and they still come back, is there a way to get a
weed free lawn ??

Alan

[url=http://insert%20your%20homepage%20url%20here/][/url]
alan gould

Unregistered User

(2/20/02 7:08:59 am)

lawn
I don't know who your clients are Alan, I was addressing the membership of this gardening website.

In recreational gardening everyone is entitled to make their own choice about what they wish to grow, but they cannot take control of natural
processes. IMHO the idea of an all grass lawn is largely an illusion - even greens cared for by professionals do not reach that standard if you
look at them closely. To attempt it is to invite the same problems encountered by intensive agriculturists when they practice monoculture.

If natural wildflowers are allowed to flourish in lawns, they will benefit the grass by their companionship and they will enhance the lawn with
their flowers. The fact that the gardener did not actually plant them does not make them harmful, and to call them weeds is misleading.

Lou

Unregistered User

(2/20/02 2:01:54 pm)

weeds
I'm with Alan about the daiseys and buttercups and look at them as pretty flowers rather than weeds. The problem is that what I've got a
fiels of spiky and 2 ft high already, granted it has now sprouted some nice yellow flowers which I'm sure will seed it'self beautifully,
But I want /need it all out before I can even see the soil.

I'm in my fourth month od pregnancy and was hoping for an easy option. Perhaps well just turf the front lawn this year. Cheers!!

Thomas

Unregistered User

(2/20/02 2:10:23 pm)

Weeds
The way I would tackle the problem is to hire a rotavator and then go over the whole area with it - leave it for a couple of days, or even a week
if you can and then rotavate again.

Rake and level the area in the usual way and then if you are using turf you can lay it straight down.