Blue Bean Plant/ Decaisnea Fargesii

Mrs Muggleton
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
Mrs Muggleton
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

8:31 AM - May 24, 2003 #1

Does anyone have one of these? Apparently they grow to a max of 10ft and have peculiar blue pods on in October and November which are about 10cm long..
I would love to grow one but no nothing about them..are they easy to grow ? do they grow fast? do you get the pods in the first year???

pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

9:30 AM - May 24, 2003 #2

I've got one of these Muggs. Moth gave it to me at a Meet last year. I understand it grows 12"-18" a year and gradually develops into a multi-stemmed tree.
This year it is looking very healthy and the leaves are a beautiful lime green. I've no idea how long I'll have to wait for the "beans" though.
I understand propogation is by seed sown in the autumn. You have to maintain an even by not excessive moisture level and then plant out in the spring. It is hardy down to -15c
I have got a couple of pictures that I picked up when Moth first gave me the plant but picturetrail is down for backups at the moment. I'll upload them later on.

pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

10:27 AM - May 24, 2003 #3

Here's the pictures.

Mrs Muggleton
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
Mrs Muggleton
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

3:33 PM - May 24, 2003 #4

wow pip - those pods look a fantastic blue dont they! Would give some lovely colour in the early winter months - will have to keep my eye out for one.-*- Muggs -*-