Big Loss

h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

February 17th, 2004, 8:10 pm #1

Got a txt from Russpuss. She has lost all her plants in her greenhouse. Some sort of white fly. Haven't been over, so don't know what plants are involved, but will get a piccie tomorrow, if she hasn't already dumped them. Any ideas as to what it might be. Sorry I can't elaborate more at this time.

Jean78
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Jean78
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

February 17th, 2004, 8:17 pm #2

The same here Yoho, just a few left - definitely white fly on mine, and I sprayed them a few times.

h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

February 17th, 2004, 8:32 pm #3

Is that just what it is called Jean, White Fly? What is the proceedure now? Will the whole lot need disinfecting?

lilylover
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
lilylover
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

February 17th, 2004, 8:34 pm #4

I had to dig up and move some well established shrubs yesterday and one of them was absolutely teeming with white fly and they seemed a lot bigger than usual. They were up my nose ,in my mouth ,everywhere!!!
Is it because of the mild winter?

h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
h2yoho
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

February 18th, 2004, 3:50 am #5

Must have been the mild weather. She hadn't been in for 4 days, due to bad back. She had all dumped by the time I got over, and disinfected with Jeyes Fluid. She said there were lots of little green catapillars too. Shouldn't have those at this time of year. Even her dwarf marigolds were gone. Thought they kept Whitefly away. I think her pear tree will survive, and her primulas were unscathed. She had lovely trees coming on, which she had been nurturing these last 5yrs. Really sad.

FuzzyWillow
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
FuzzyWillow
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

February 18th, 2004, 6:28 am #6

aw, shucks.
So sorry about that. Pesky white flies.
Fuzzy

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

February 18th, 2004, 9:07 am #7

Aww, poor Russpuss

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

February 18th, 2004, 2:36 pm #8

I'm not sure if jeyes fluid will do the trick H2o Malathion would be a better option.
I am guessing the greenhouse is very dry, whitefly do not like moist conditions, so upping the humidity might help.
I'm not sure about the caterpillars,moth pupae I guess, Malathion is useful in getting rid of these too.
Or if you like pick them of individually and crush them.
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

February 18th, 2004, 3:15 pm #9

Whitefly are difficult to eradicate because normal insecticide will not kill the eggs. To use insecticide alone you need to adopt a spraying program to hit them after hatching but before breeding builds up the numbers again. Biological control can be tried and is most effective during the summer months. (Encarsia formosa) is one parasite that is used.
There are several chemicals but whitefly have built up resistances to various degrees according to chemical and strain of fly.
You could use yellow card sticky traps.
While there is not much in the glasshouse my move would be to empty it completely and apply a sulphur smoke bomb or a sulphur candle. It is absolutely vital that all plants are removed and not replaced afterwards until they can be certified free of live whitefly and eggs.Peter

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

February 18th, 2004, 4:02 pm #10

I agree with you Peter in the long term, but what made me suggest Malathion is; they are on the wing, otherwise they would not have been seen, and I was going for a quick but not necessarily complete kill.
I think there will be eggs around, meaning that the spray will have to be at the ready for when they hatch.
Then there are are the yellow sticky traps, again I see this as a bit more long term.
To ensure these are effective will necessitate regularly brushing over the leaves to get them on the wing again so that they will stick to the traps.
I don't know if Russpuss was up to it, or H2o had the time.
With the bilogical control, there was no indication of heat being available so this is why I didn't suggest them, I thought it might be too cold for them therefore a waste of money.
I always say prevention is better than cure, then such events would not happen, or at least not as severely.
However this is often easier said than done.
My belief has always been is to use those two pairs of tools we all posess, namely a pair of eyes and an index finger and thumb.
So no offence Peter,excellent advice as always, I'm afraid I have a bit of that 'killer' intinct in me, hence my comments.
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

February 18th, 2004, 7:41 pm #11

Oh that is really awful.
Louisa

Staff Sergeant Loopy

February 18th, 2004, 8:00 pm #12

HI provado put into the pots at the recomended rate for vine weevil controll will kill off adults and pupae stages of whitefly , keep aphids mealy bug scale and thrips at bay .
Not the cheapest chemical but good for treasured plants,also with a low mamalian toxicity safe around children and animals . I hope this may be of some help. I use the comercial form of it known as intercept quite expensive but it keeps the bugs away . Look for the chemical imidocloprid. it works wonders
Regards Richard

jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

February 18th, 2004, 10:00 pm #13

I used provado last year to try & protect my fuchsias from the dreaded weevil.
it did it's job, but also seemed to kill off any bees that went to the flowers as well so I'm very wary of using it again this year.
Also had a lot of weevils in & around the rest of the garden
Is there anything else effective against vine weevils that ISN'T harmful to bees? Biological control isn't really an option here - too much garden & the weevils are everywhere Also, too cold a climate for a long enough control season.

jo