Back from Pip's funeral

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 20th, 2014, 8:38 pm #1

My journey down was lovely. The M25 was good to me and once off it heading south the sun was shining and the autumnal colours just so beautiful. When I arrived Sal, Dan, Dennis, Dawn (aka Flowerof shona), and John were there. Of course so was Hendrix or 'H' as I call him. Pips garden just looked amazing considering the time of year but she was clever with her plants and planting. Something for every season. I can assure you she was able to enjoy it all, even when confined to her bed. Her bedroom window looked like a painting of carefully chosen and loved plants. Sal had been out early this morning and picked flowers from the garden and made a beautiful display for the hearth.
The chatter was though none of us had been apart for a while including Pip. All of us sharing our memories. Eventually we set off. Sal, Dan, Dennis and I in one car with Dawn and John following. Pip had planned the scenic route and it was a pretty drive. Every one was there when we arrived, 70+ people from the various walks of her life. The ceremony was wonderful, again with everything Pip wanted.  Sal was the first to make a tribute and opened with an apology.... Hendrix had given Sals speech a bit of a nibble....guess he wanted to be there and mentioned one way or another. Sal if you read this you spoke so well and no one could have done better. There were two more tributes similar thoughts and feelings expressed but withing the context of that circle of friend. Well you can't be surprised, Pip was Pip, she didn't put on one persona for one person and another for another. She was true to herself through and through. Talking to others after so many people found strength, friendship and opened horizons following their contact and friendship with Pip
We over ran a little but that again was true to form. Outside the display of flowers was what Pip wanted, colourful and natural, just beautiful. I was able to chat with Parlis and wish I'd had longer but she couldn't make the reception. Parlis one way or another we will have more time together. I saw Sue whilst waiting to go in and gave her a quick hug but we were able to chat and laugh afterwards. Met David for the first time and he is a great bloke, a good laugh and they were so comfortable together.
Moving on to the reception it was at a local vineyards.... how appropriate. The weather changed, temporally and we had a light shower. Sal, Dan, Dennis and I were outside having a ciggy and a drink and getting damp. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Pips little joke on us. Sal, Pip and I tried several times to give up the 'weed', e-mailing support and encouragement to each other. Pip was the only one of us to succeed. I was able to chat with some of her friends from other 'groups' and you could see why they valued Pip and Pip valued them. There was a remembrance table and Dawn had been able to bring two buds of the 'Pip n Sox' rose. Sal had put some in with the coffin and a few other special things
All too quickly it was time to leave and I hitched a lift with Dawn and John back to Pips where my car was. Thank you guys, I know you went out of your way. before leaving I bought a bottle of the wine from the vineyard to enjoy when I got home. Pip if you are reading this, I'm a cheapskate and don't normally spend much on wine but this time it was special. I can relax and go through my memories once again and then the bottle will go in my memory chest not that I need reminding of you and the special person you are.
Now to the journey home. I'm notorious for having difficulties in finding the right route home after a visit to Pips. I've even had to back track to get the instructions again. True to form I did have difficulties despite Sal pointing out the route on the way to the crem and Dawn doing the same on the route back to Pips. Somehow the jiggly piggly route I took landed me on the sea front which I then followed until I found another landmark to point me in the right direction. Now this is no word of a lie but I ended up at Sea Lane, Goring. Pips old address, across from 'The Cafe' and Sox's bench. Whatever you want to call it I think it was meant to be.
Home now and I will open that special bottle. Sali I know you keep saying she would have done the same for you, and she would have, but you brought all her wishes together and did it so well {{hug}}
Last edited by kitty58 on October 20th, 2014, 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 20th, 2014, 8:56 pm #2

Thank you Kitty that is lovely and so good to read.
Dare I ask - did anyone take any photos of Pip's garden or her flowers?

Parlis
Established Tree
Established Tree
Parlis
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 20th, 2014, 8:58 pm #3

It was lovely to finally meet you today Kit and Sal, Dan, Sue, David, Dawn, John and Dennis, albeit briefly. I was really sorry not to be able to stay on for the afters. I had been out of the house since 7am and Ellie was on her own all day. I didn't get home until 5.30pm.
Your post filled in the gaps before and after the lovely service.
As for getting lost on the way home, as we discussed, you were not the only one. If you read my post on the other thread you will  see what I mean.
Good job today. Moving, funny, touching and beautiful.
Parlis 

Give Peas a Chance 

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 20th, 2014, 9:33 pm #4

This photo was taken this evening of Sox's bench by Pens - as you can see, someone has left flowers.

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 20th, 2014, 10:06 pm #5

Dennis took pics but sorry I didn't feel comfortable doing it but i guess i should have so i could share all

Zygoptera
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
Zygoptera
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 20th, 2014, 10:25 pm #6

This will probably be my last post on RG. I’m pleased that Pip’s day was celebrated in the way that she wished. God bless and thanks to all that went with remembrance.

MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 21st, 2014, 12:28 am #7

Thank you for taking the time to lets us know about Pip's day Kitty.  Denis will, no doubt. let us see the photos he took in due course.  We took lots of photos on the day of Sox's funeral at Pip's request, Kitty, and I am sure she would not have minded you taking some at hers.  My candle is still alight for Pip but I will put it out when I go to bed.

cheap as chips
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

October 21st, 2014, 8:34 am #8

Thanks for letting us know what happened on the day Kitty. I almost feel like I was there.  Glad it went as Pip wanted. 

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 21st, 2014, 9:36 am #9

Thanks for telling everyone about the day Kit, and glad you got home safely (((HUGS))). Denis and I will sort out the photos for you as soon as we can xx

xx-Sal-xx

jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

October 21st, 2014, 10:46 am #10

Thank you for all that, kitty - it was so lovely for all of us who were only able to go in spirit, not in person. Have you thought about borrowing a satnav?
Sounds like you all did 'The Boss' proud indeed. 
Thank you everybody for flying the RG flag on our behalf

That was a nice touch, CA - thanks for posting.

Paineswife
Established Tree
Established Tree
Paineswife
Established Tree
Established Tree

October 21st, 2014, 3:40 pm #11

Thank you Kitty ((HUGS))

Bagpuss
Seedling
Seedling
Bagpuss
Seedling
Seedling

October 21st, 2014, 10:29 pm #12

Sue n I returned lunch time today after a couple of days stopping at a very wet n windy Eastbourne,  it was lovely to meet members at last but would normally say under difficult circumstances but it wasn't in was people getting together to celebrate the life n works of a very special person.  Although I never had the pleasure of meeting 'Pip' I do know that Sue had on many occasions, Pip (and others)were true friend to Sue when most needed  
Pip will live on and it is up to us the members of RG to make sure it happens

Dot2
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
Dot2
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

October 22nd, 2014, 5:54 pm #13

Thank you Kitty for posting the details of the funeral. I so wished I could have been there, but you have given me comfort from the details.
(((HUGS)))

Leighton

christine
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
christine
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

October 22nd, 2014, 8:25 pm #14

Thank you for Sharing Pip' s day with us Kitty, it sounded like a very peaceful and loving send off for her. It was a great pleasure and honour to have her as a friend, and I know she will be sadly missed. Xxxx
from Christine

ZootZeussir
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
ZootZeussir
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

October 25th, 2014, 12:07 am #15

I didn't know Pip, apart from my involvement with this site, but I am very impressed with the send-off on this very sad occasion.  Pip obviously touched a lot of peoples' hearts, and I am glad to have been a very tiny part of her life, even if she did , very roundly, tell me off on one occasion.  She was fair though, in my opinion, and not heavy-handed as many other people in her position might have been.  R.I.P., Pip
ALL SAX IS GOOD SAX

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

November 4th, 2014, 6:06 pm #16

These are Denis's photos of some of Pip's flowers:
Salli's arrangement of flowers from Pip's garden:

Some of the rest of the flowers:

Thanks so much Denis. It's not easy taking photographs on such an occasion but they do give those of us not able to be present a little taste of the tributes sent by people in memory of their friend.

Parlis
Established Tree
Established Tree
Parlis
Established Tree
Established Tree

November 4th, 2014, 7:00 pm #17

There were certainly plenty of floral tributes in the style that Pip wanted. Everything from 1 beautiful bloom to mixed tied bunches. I read a lot of the cards too and the they were both moving and touching. The photos are a great way to share this with everyone.
Parlis 

Give Peas a Chance 

MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

November 4th, 2014, 8:31 pm #18

Thanks for taking the photos Denis and thanks for posting them CA.  I am sure Pip would have loved all the flowers just as she wanted and she would especially have loved the lovely flower arrangement Salli did with flowers from her garden.  A beautiful tribute Salli .

moth01
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
moth01
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

December 4th, 2014, 2:03 pm #19

I am so sad I havent been in for a long time and can see that Pip has died I had known pip for ages and joined this site when it 1st started and met her several times at meets we even had one meet at my home it was wonderful she was such a help to me when i was in difficulty and sox also helped me, I loved them both.