Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

May 5th, 2018, 8:07 am #1

Morning all

I have been growing an avacado from seed.

I've had it in water with toothpicks for the last 6 months and have now transferred to a pot.

I've put gravel at the bottom then mixed normal soil and cactus soil.

I've about different soil mixes and everyone seems to have their own idea's.

From what I read the avacado needs a good draining soil and the roots will rot if water cannot escape.

Would like your views.

I lost a few leaves when I potted it but it looks as though it's established now.

How often should I water?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

May 5th, 2018, 11:03 am #2

Looks like a nice plant, so often they get very leggy from over nurturing, but they are the house plant equivalent of a Great Dane.

You should find the following of interest  https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Avocado_Tree/

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

May 5th, 2018, 6:09 pm #3

Taffy wrote:Looks like a nice plant, so often they get very leggy from over nurturing, but they are the house plant equivalent of a Great Dane.

You should find the following of interest  https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Avocado_Tree/
Great bit of info.....many thanks!

Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

May 5th, 2018, 6:48 pm #4

I've grown loads over the years , lots of leaves but never any fruits.  Please let us know if and when you are lucky enough to get a fruit.
TESS

She who plants a garden plants happiness

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

May 5th, 2018, 7:07 pm #5

You may well be waiting a while......lol.....but sure will post if I'm lucky
Foxcub wrote:I've grown loads over the years , lots of leaves but never any fruits.  Please let us know if and when you are lucky enough to get a fruit.

stephanelli
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
stephanelli
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

May 8th, 2018, 4:32 pm #6

I've never grown an avocado, but if you like listening to podcasts then I can thoroughly recommend the podcast On The Ledge by Jane Perrone (a podcast all about houseplants).  But, more importantly she has an episode on growing Avocdao's which might be useful for you!  Have a look here:
http://www.janeperrone.com/on-the-ledge ... cado-plant
You can play it directly from that webpage (there's a player just under the first picture).

Good luck with your plant!

(P.S. Love your venus flytrap and cactus next to your avocado in the first picture - you might say I'm a little obsessed with cacti and succulents...!)

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

May 8th, 2018, 4:42 pm #7

stephanelli wrote:I've never grown an avocado, but if you like listening to podcasts then I can thoroughly recommend the podcast On The Ledge by Jane Perrone (a podcast all about houseplants).  But, more importantly she has an episode on growing Avocdao's which might be useful for you!  Have a look here:
http://www.janeperrone.com/on-the-ledge ... cado-plant
You can play it directly from that webpage (there's a player just under the first picture).

Good luck with your plant!

(P.S. Love your venus flytrap and cactus next to your avocado in the first picture - you might say I'm a little obsessed with cacti and succulents...!)
Thanks for the info.

I've had the cactus for about 7 years now, very slow growing and I've changed the pot once and has always been on the window sill

stephanelli
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
stephanelli
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

May 8th, 2018, 4:47 pm #8

Dee_Patel wrote: I've had the cactus for about 7 years now, very slow growing and I've changed the pot once and has always been on the window sill
I've got a cactus a bit like that!  Mine's a Pachycereus pringlei and has grown about 1 - 2 cm over the last 8 years.  In many hundreds of years it may grow into a giant like you see in Mexico.

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

May 8th, 2018, 5:21 pm #9

Nice!!

I see you have gravel on top of the soil. That's a good idea, I'll do the same to mine.

How often do you water yours?

stephanelli
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
stephanelli
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

May 8th, 2018, 5:46 pm #10

So nearly all my cacti are potted in a mix of 1 part compost, 1 part vermiculite and 2 parts grit (its nice and free-draining, but still holds some water, enough so they don't rot).  I then topdress them with grit (if I've got enough grit available).  It helps stop me watering it too much and keeps the water holding soil away from the plant where it doesn't like to be wet.
During Spring - Autumn It gets watered whenever the soil is dry, but this works out to be about once a fortnight or so, sometimes less often.  Over winter most of my cacti don't get watered at all as nearly all of them aren't actively growing then and it encourages rot if there's too much water.  It has never complained of being underwatered (it'll shrivel a little).  Sometimes its gone months of neglect simply because I forgot about it and its been absolutely fine (apart from the sunburn...those black marks).  The amount of water sometimes depends on the cactus.  I've got an opuntia that wants watering a lot more frequently!

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

May 27th, 2018, 7:58 am #11

How do I treat this......

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

May 27th, 2018, 5:27 pm #12

I'd just give it a quick spurt of household fly killer

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

May 28th, 2018, 5:08 am #13

Taffy wrote:I'd just give it a quick spurt of household fly killer
I will try it later today, thanks

TalkkPiroo
Seedling
Seedling
TalkkPiroo
Seedling
Seedling

June 18th, 2018, 7:49 pm #14

Hello here! Very nice job in growing this! I have tried once but it hasn't even started to sprout..I think that advices that you have upper are very useful so you have to try them. I keep mine fingers crossed to solve this situation!

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

June 20th, 2018, 7:57 am #15

Just a pick to show how it's getting on

Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

June 20th, 2018, 8:08 am #16

That is coming along really nicely, you've even got more shoots coming on.  
TESS

She who plants a garden plants happiness

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

July 26th, 2018, 4:02 pm #17

Another update .....it's loving the heat.