Anyone made their own leaf mould?

Garraty Lill
Seedling
Seedling

10:26 AM - Oct 17, 2003 #1

Does it really work if you just put your fallen leaves in a bin bag and leave it 12 months? Anyone tried it?

Nehlad
Seedling
Seedling
Nehlad
Seedling
Seedling

10:42 AM - Oct 17, 2003 #2

Hi Lill, Tried it in a dustbin with a few holes in it once and it did work but took forever. I now have wire mesh containers about 3ft by 3ft x 4ft tall and just leave them open to the elements. This takes about 9 months (except this year when it has been too dry) with no trouble at all. Mind you I do have a lot of leaves. Leaves need water to allow the fungus or whatever to work its magic, leave them too dry and they stay as leaves until they become dust I imagine. Luck nehlad

MaCoggon
Seedling
Seedling
MaCoggon
Seedling
Seedling

1:01 PM - Oct 17, 2003 #3

My Mum tried it and the first year they hardly changed at all, but then she added lots of water and spiked extra holes in the bag. After another year they were just right.
Definitely worth the wait if you have somewhere inconspicuous to dump the bags!

2:24 PM - Oct 17, 2003 #4

It has never worked for us either
Now I just let nature do her bit and leave most fallen leaves where they land.
Louisa

Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree

4:24 PM - Oct 17, 2003 #5

Lill
It works very well for me, but it's important that the leaves are very wet - if not pour loads of water in the top of the bin bag - tie up the bag and then stab it several times all over with a garden fork. I stash mine under the hedge at the allotment but the bags still get lots of sun.
Then two or three times during the year I turn them over and generally prod them about and shove them back again. After a year I've got very good useable stuff. Full of worms!
I learnt my lesson early on and use quite good quality bags - they need to be reasonably heavy duty if they are going to last the year out.
If you have a plentiful supply of leaves and somewhere to stash them then it's definitely worth a try!
Best of luck Laurel

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

4:40 PM - Oct 17, 2003 #6

Works very well for me. I use compost sacks. As Lilylover says, it's important that the leaves are wet. Mine don't actually get that much sun and I don't do anything with them for a year. Lovely friable leaf mould after that time, loads of worms.
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

3:12 AM - Oct 18, 2003 #7

I use the big bags that I get my compost in and turn them inside out so the black side is showing. So next year about this time I hope we will have lots of lovely leaf mould as we get lots of leaves. Shortly we are going to turn out the compost heap and hope we will have some compost at the bottom .......my husband is a dab hand at killing a compost heap dead but with me quoting all the info gleaned from RG I think at last he is getting the message
Just a thought ....hasn't Jeyes Fluid been banned ........AlanB did tell me something about it but I have the ability to forget info just as soon as I am told

BunnyNo2
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
BunnyNo2
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

10:52 AM - Oct 18, 2003 #8

Macca, they just changed the recipe, that's all.

OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

12:43 PM - Oct 18, 2003 #9

Confirm I wet the leaves well, but also add some spent potting compost from the containers that have had summer displays in, and the forget about it for about a twelve-month.

Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree

2:47 PM - Oct 18, 2003 #10

Thinking about adding some Garotta this year to see if that hurries it up even more - should do, I suppose - but I do like OJ's tip about adding a bit of old compost too! Laurel

titchmarsh
Seedling
Seedling
titchmarsh
Seedling
Seedling

5:59 PM - Oct 18, 2003 #11

I can only endorse the other replies,big strong bag(compost bag),plenty of water,aeration holes and tie tightly and leave for 1 year.Success everytime!!!

gillessex7
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
gillessex7
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

7:22 PM - Oct 18, 2003 #12

Hmmmmmm may have to give this a go,, have a large japanese flowering cherry tree,, lots of leaves dropping now

OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

6:49 PM - Oct 20, 2003 #13

I don't know why it hasn't occurred to me before, to add Comfrey leaves to the bag of leaves to help accelerate their rotting, the same as I do with rubbish in the Composter.