Any info on these? (Ptilostemon afer & Platycodon grandiflorus 'fuji blue')

glorsclaws
Seedling
Seedling
glorsclaws
Seedling
Seedling

8:48 PM - Aug 02, 2003 #1

Hi, my neighbours just got back from a caravan holiday and they always bring me a plant back for looking after things. This time I got two. I know nothing
about them and neither does my neighbour. Their names are written in pencil on little sticks! One is a Ptilostemon afer and the other is Platycodon g.f. Fugi
Blue. Any info on these please?
Last edited by glorsclaws on 1:05 PM - Mar 06, 2008, edited 2 times in total.

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

8:58 PM - Aug 02, 2003 #2

The Platycodon grandiflorus 'Fuji Blue' gets about 24" in height with a spread of 18 ". It is a spectacular rich blue color - just beautiful . Make sure to plant it where you want it to be because they do not like to be moved at all .The description on this cultivar says it is likely to self seed .
Hardy Zones 4-8.
Bunty has one - not 'Fuji Blue' - but a beautiful one all the same and it has done quite well for her .
Not familiar that I know of with the other one. Sorry .Theresa
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

9:00 PM - Aug 02, 2003 #3

A little on Platycodon;
* A hardy herbaceous perennial that grows to around 600mm high, and flowers from June to August.
* Week 13; Sow seeds in trays under glass and germinate at 13C(55F)
Germination will take around three weeks.
* Week 17; Prick out into 75mm (3") pots of potting compost and grow on in a cold frame until planting out time.
n.b.The seedlings are fragile and should he handled with care when pricking out.
* Week 18; Divide and transplant established plants, if weather conditions allow.
The white fleshy roots are slow growing and resent disturbance.
* Week 40; Plant out in a sunny position at 400mm centres in ordinary well drained soil.
This is an extract from my web site (look under P for a picture.) www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk
Sorry I know nothing of the other plant mentioned.

glorsclaws
Seedling
Seedling
glorsclaws
Seedling
Seedling

9:01 PM - Aug 02, 2003 #4

Thanx for your speedy replies -much appreciated. The plant is in bloom and is beautiful.

tracey auburn
Seedling
Seedling

9:27 PM - Aug 03, 2003 #5

ptilostemon foud a ref to this on a nursery site,says its monocarpic,but self seeds and needs a very dry well dreained site.