Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

3:36 PM - Jun 04, 2018 #1

Hello all
I'm looking for some advice on what plants/fruit tree/flowers I can use to cover up the wall.
The area doesn't get much sun and the soil is damp with a mixture of clay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jane_T
Mad Woman in a Box
Mad Woman in a Box
Jane_T
Mad Woman in a Box
Mad Woman in a Box

4:36 PM - Jun 04, 2018 #2

You don't say exactly which way the wall faces, but I am a fan of  climbing hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris) I have one on a North Facing wall and it's very happy there planted tight up against the wall.  https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/97624/Hyd ... is/Details

I think most fruit trees prefer sunny walls,  but others may have ideas.  Variegated Ivies are also good for dark walls and again you can prune to control

Jane

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
rjt.org.uk

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

4:58 PM - Jun 04, 2018 #3

It's a north facing wall.....I'll have a look at the link....thanks

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

8:00 AM - Jun 05, 2018 #4

I'm with Jane on the climbing Hydrangea. That is a summer flowering climber. I'd also plant some shade loving clematis which flower earlier and will weave through the hydrangea, some also re-flower in autumn. Another good one is honeysuckle, some of which also flower twice. Is the wall yours? you can get self-clinging climbers like the hydrangea but it may damage the brickwork. Other climbers need support such as a wooden trellis. Take a look at Taylors Clematis to find one that likes shade and in a colour/ flowering period you would want.

If you don't want to risk damage to the wall if it is not yours then there are some lovely shade loving shrubs that can give you colour all year round. I'm off to the gym just now but will add some suggestions as to which later.

Here are some pretty robust shrubs to consider 

Lonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold' is a wonderfully dense evergreen. Its colourful foliage is a buttery, pale yellow in summer and a warm bronze in winter. Golden Shrubby Honeysuckle looks fantastic when clipped into a neat form and its colourful foliage is beautifully decorated in spring with creamy white flowers.

lomaria-leaved mahonia, I have this in my garden. It's evergreen shrub with yellow flowers in the spring, sometimes followed by black or purple berries.

Cherry Laurel is a spreading evergreen shrub to 1m tall, with dense, low growth, and narrow, glossy dark green leaves. Flowers small, white in erect racemes; fruits cherry-like, red turning glossy black

Dwarf sweet box it has fragrant creamy-white flowers in winter or spring, followed by red, purple or black berries 

Viburnam 'Winton' is a spreading, medium-sized, semi-evergreen shrub. I have this. The leaves are  tinted bronze in spring and copper-red in autumn and winter. Small white flowers are borne in rather stiff panicles in early summer, and are followed by small oval fruits, red at first, becoming black

I've also had dark purple-flowered periwinkle. It's a very low growing shrub but you can plant it in front of the taller shrubs

Obviously I don't know what your soil is like if it is clay then we might have to have another thing. Hope this helps.

Tee Gee
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Tee Gee
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

4:05 PM - Jun 08, 2018 #5

To save damaging the wall you can fix trellis or wire supports to it then you can plant more or less anything that grows skywards.

For seasonal interest I use various classifications of Clematis that flower at various times of the year, plus Honeysuckle, Ipomea  Magnolia,Hollyhock, Climbing Roses as I said  anything that rambles or climbs vertically.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling
Dee_Patel
Seedling
Seedling

4:28 PM - Jun 08, 2018 #6

Great ideas!!
I will keep you guys posted on what I decide.
Anything is better than just a plain wall

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

4:13 PM - Jun 09, 2018 #7

2nd try, first vanished just before I finished it.

First a question.
Is the wall yours?
If it isn't you should get permission to attach trellis or wires to it as support for plants and the same if you are going to grow any self clinging plants on it such as Hydrangea petiolaris, Ivy, virginia creeper
https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/hydra ... ssid.1665/
https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/12349/Par ... ia/Details
Climbers such as Honeysuckle and clematis can be good but by nature they like to root on the north but grow through to flower in the sun, then there are the Jasmines. All these will require support.
I would go for shrubs, free standing and a much wider choice.
Kitty has said Lonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold'.Nice shrub but in poorer light it doesn't get such good colour, Mine grows North to South and didn't get good colour for the first few years, and has never had any sign of bronzing in winter, probably we are not cold enough to trigger the change.
I'd definitely have Elaeagnus, there are some variegated forms, but it's flowers are mostly hidden below the leaves in autumn, but the scent will fill your garden, also the fruit is now classified as a super fruit.
Viburnum Tinus Laurustinus  is a good shrub for flower and autumn/winter ornamental fruit, will need to be pruned in time.
Cherry Laurel, is interesting but check what you are buying some some people call common laurel cherry laurel, what you want is       Aucuba  japonica  Spotted laurel, very good foliage and flowers followed by clusters of red berries, grows up to 5 meters in time, but takes pruning well. http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/p ... s/79.shtml
I would tuck in a Winter flowering Viburnum, nice flowers and good scent.#
Then for summer you could try shrub roses, plenty to chose from.
That should keep you going for now.

I forgot to say you could also look at flowering crab apples on dwarf rootstock.