Advice needed about my Willow Tree

Garraty Lill
Seedling
Seedling

10:24 AM - Oct 17, 2003 #1

I've got a lovely twisted Willow problem is whoever planted it only put it 15 ft from the house. Its now up to the bedroom windows and swamping my little garden. I want to cut it back - any advice on how I should do this? I was going to just cut the main branches right back to the 'trunk' not that its really got one. I thought that next year I would get loads of new 'whippy' growth from where I cut back too. Is this right?

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

12:01 PM - Oct 17, 2003 #2

I'm guessing what you have is the Corkscrew willow.
It is fine to prune - I use the branches in floral arrangements. The problem with your garden and your house isn't the branches - it's the roots. They seek out water sources - household plumbing ,sewers.

That's where your problem will be.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

David
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
David
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

12:19 PM - Oct 17, 2003 #3

Probably S babylonica 'Tortuosa' which grows naturally as a multi-stemmed tree, sometimes with a short trunk. The mature tree responds well to hard pruning from autumn to spring (spring in severe winter climate areas).
It is not usual to pollard or coppice this form of Salix (willow) as it is with many of the non-contorted types.
Replacing the tree with a young one may be justified when the best shape and contortion of the branches is required. Also a point if you consider it too close to the house.
Annual pruning involves the removal of some inward growing branches to keep the crown open and also the removal of untidy crossing growths and any dead ones.
David - Cumbria - UK

Saph5
Established Tree
Established Tree
Saph5
Established Tree
Established Tree

5:10 PM - Oct 17, 2003 #4

I've cut mine back to 6ft and just trim the hanging stems to the length I want.
When Pip was here visiting, she added one to her wish list.