3 greenhouse questions in 1

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

2:36 PM - May 08, 2004 #1

If you bubble-wrap your greenhouse for winter, have you "unwrapped" it yet? If so, do you then put shading up straight away? And finally, do tomato plants suffer from draughts? I've put a new workbench in my greenhouse this year & the only floor space for the tomatoes is next to the door.
Caroline

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

3:50 PM - May 08, 2004 #2

If you bubble-wrap your greenhouse for winter, have you "unwrapped" it yet? If so, do you then put shading up straight away?
I guess it is each to there own here!
Because I have more than one greenhouse I rarely (if ever) take my insulating layer down and just leave it to form the shading. Not that I grow much in this greenhouse in anycase, I tend to keep it as a propagating greenhouse.
However to answer your question.......when I was in a similar position to you I rigged my insulating layer (I don't use bubble wrap I use cellophane it lets better light through during the winter months) so that the roof part was easily removed to allow maximum light in, yet easily put back in periods of cold weather.
The sides were lined separately as well, again for similar reasons in the winter months.
However as with the location of many greenhouses only one side of it generally requires shading fitted so I would leave the insulating layer on,on the side most affected by the sun.
If I were to remove it, I would probably remove the roof part in mid April and the remainder about the end of May.
I say this advisedly because even the 'winter sun' through glass can be quite intense, and the seedlings that are likely to be in the greenhouse can suffer, hence leaving it to late on to remove.
I am afraid location of the greenhouse and what you grow plays a major part in the decision as to when to remove the insulation/shading
nd finally, do tomato plants suffer from draughts? I've put a new workbench in my greenhouse this year & the only floor space for the tomatoes is next to the door.
Tomatoes like good air circulation around them so there should be no major problem.
I would mention though that a door left fully open causes less draught that a door left ajar.
I would tend to either leave the door fully open on the warmest of days and rely on the vents to keep the air circulating when the door is fully closed on cooler days.
I hope that answers your question.
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

4:38 PM - May 08, 2004 #3

Can't help you..don't insulate over winter BUT might next year!!!
don't put up shading just open and close the g/house door or windows as necc...but mine is so big that I can put stuff under the shelving if they need shade

Kitty

8:04 AM - May 09, 2004 #4

We don't insulate either, we breed fighters or they are out.

LouisaStaff Sergeant Loopy

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

3:41 PM - May 09, 2004 #5

Thanks, maybe I'll take the easy way out & just leave up the bubblewrap as shading- I'll probably only have tomatoes & peppers in there through the summer.
Caroline

8:22 PM - May 10, 2004 #6

HI there
I have grown tomatoes and peppers in a greenhouse and neither seem to need shading just ventilation by all means leave the bubblepack up to provide some shade
Regards Richard