To Shane..re: Littlefoot

To Shane..re: Littlefoot

Kisal
Kisal

November 20th, 2001, 8:44 am #1

Sorry, but this is the best I could find in the time I have available right now. I'll look for more next week, after my Thanksgiving guests are gone.

http://www.rialian.com/rnboyd/littlepeople.htm

(I hate that last paragraph he tacked on, but some people say the same about BF, so......oh, well.)

Locust Brother
Locust Brother

November 21st, 2001, 10:22 pm #2

Happy Thanksgiving

Sometimes, folks, I just can't stand lurking. Some of us old-timers, ancient people like me are forgotten, along with our work, a new generation reinvents the wheel... again and again... ad hoc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. In my case, I went out of my way to have a lot of my work buried and forgotten, so it's understandable that a new generation of BFr's may not have seen the research about the little people that I compiled long ago. PLease think of this as my thanksgiving gift to the conference, I'm trying to save you some time and effort.

Kisal, you live somewhere in SW Oregon, do you not?
Babyfoot Lake and Babyfoot Creek are in your neck of the woods. If you ever have the time, take a look in your local historical society or library and see how they got those names... haha <g>

all the best

LB
--------------------------------------
XVIII. Wah’-tee -tas

Wah' -tee -tas was a word that Louis Mann used in 1916, when he was describing to L.V. McWhorter the: “'ancient people', also interpreted 'animal people'. They are described as dwarfs, not exceeding two feet in height. They were seen only during the evening twilight or in the early dawn of the morning. Death invariably followed on the heels of those who beheld the Wah' -tee -tas, except as Talismanic, as in the case of children set forth in the (oral histories). Of course an adult can commune with his or her tahmahnawis (spirit power) with beneficial results. It is claimed that Chief We-yal-lup Wy-ya-cika obtained much of his power as a medicine man from friendly Wah' -tee -tas. I do know that the Chief told me before he died that he could explain to me the meaning of all the Puh-tuh num, (meaning ‘pictured’ or ‘marked’) and that he would sometime do so. But unfortunately death claimed him before this was done. We-Yal-lup also had power from the great horned chief of the Wah' k-puch, (poison-snake) which he saw in Teiton Canyon. Schop-tash and Puh-tuh num, of the preceding story, refer to the same pictographs, or rock-paintings, to be found on great cliff in the Naches Gap near Yakama. It will be noticed that there is a slight difference in interpretation, but there should be no confusion connected with the rendition of the two appellations"

Yakama Indian Tokiaken Twi-wash told L.V. McWhorter this story in 1912. “I am now old. it was before I saw the sun that my ancestors discovered the Wah’-tee -tas, the little ancient people who wore robes woven from rabbit’s hair. They dwelt in the cliff. My people saw a little short fellow, like a person. marking the rocks as you now see them. He walked from rock to rock, hunting the smooth places. You see some of the paintings high up upon the wall. We do not know how Wah-tee -tas got up there to do the work. We see it there; we know that it is true...
Sometimes the people would see the Wah’-tee-tas once or twice a year, see them in the evening dim, or in the morning before the sun, while it was yet a little dark. The Wah’-tee-tas were spirits, but not bad.”

Chief Sluskin and an Indian named Holite gave this account to McWhorter in September, 1917. “No one knows how old the Schop-tash are, nor what they mean... It was after the flood that Man came. It was then that the Schop-tash was painted. The Schop-tash was the law for the Yakamas. They came in the night and painted the hands. Then the other paintings were made, were finished completely. These were often repainted, made bright during the night. But after white man came, this ceased. No more painting was done. The people who made the Schop-tash were small, small but full grown. No one knew where they lived. They might be seen standing on top the cliff, seen after the sun had gone down, or before it was up in the morning. But anyone seeing them died soon afterwards. No one wanted to see them. It brought death.”

“The little Wah’-tee-tas watched over the paintings, the markings, and never let them grow dim. It is too bad that white man destroyed the Puh-tuh-num. It was the law of my people, painted there on the rocks by the Wah’-tee-tas, the Ancient People.”... “I, [L.V. McWhorter] asked an old Indian there who knows these pictures who made them. He answered that they were made by some other people before the Indians came.”

XIX. Te-chum’ mah

L.V. McWhorter wrote: "The Te-chum' mah, or ground people, are diminutive, invisible dwarfs, inhabiting the more heavily-timbered peaks and summit ranges of the Cascade Mountains, especially around Lake Keechelas ... Also, up in the timbered region of the Wenas waterhead, there is a small lake known to the Yakamas as Wat-tum wat-tum, "Lake-lake," where the Te-chum' mah also reside ... They also known to reside around Fish Lake ... Their abode is the cavity of an upturned tree .”

A Chehalis-Yakama Indian gave this account of the Te-chum' mah to L.V. McWhorter:

“Sometimes I hear these little people as I travel in the night. They are small. You cannot see them if you look. One time I saw them in a dream, saw them just as if I were awake. But I was not awake. I was asleep. I saw them asleep. They look nice, about this high [ eighteen inches]. They look like big people, only they were small. I heard them talking. They are afraid of strangers. When they saw anybody coming, they said to each other, 'Doctor [medicine man] coming!' They ran and hid somewhere. When out in the woods at night, when anywhere in a lonely place, you hear them whistling like birds. You better not answer them, better not try to follow them. If you do, they make you crazy. you do not know where you are going. you run! you run! you run! You run until you die. You will not look where you go. You do not stop for anything. Maybe you fall from high rocks and die. Maybe you get lost and are never found. Do not pay attention to them. They cannot hurt you. They call like one kind of bird at night. They call like this, "W-w-wh-hah! W-w-wh-hah!"

“You have heard them. Once called close to me in the dark. I was scared! My head felt just like baked! I did not answer! I would not follow that call. I did not want to go crazy; I did not want to die. I kept going, kept traveling to get away from that place.”

XX. Pah-ho-ho-klah

The Tenino Indians (also called the Warm Springs Sahaptin), occupied a portion of the south bank of the Columbia River in North Central Oregon and the lower watershed of its southern affluents. They spoke of the Pah-ho-ho-Klah, the “ground people” or “people of the ground”, who are described in similar terms as the Te-chum-mah. This tale was told to L.V. McWhorter by Ah-nah-chu Pick-wah-pah (“Behind the Rock”), and intelligent young man of the warm springs tribe, gave McWhorter his experience with the Pah-ho-ho-klah: “calling”, “signaling” or “answering”. No date cited.

“Hunting in Oregon, I got lost in the fog and rain. I killed one deer. I did not get crazy! I did not run like wild. I thought to stay where I was when the fog came up, wait until all cleared away again. I do this when I find I’m lost. It is not good to travel when lost. You might get killed. Their are high rocks where you fall and die. I got under a big tree, a heavy topped tree. With plenty of dry wood, I built a fire out from the tree; I took a place between the fire and tree. I was close against tree, a safe place. I roasted meat from the deer and ate.”

“Not long after this I heard calling, calling like birds in the trees about my camp. It was getting dark! Other voices like birds answered farther away. I knew the birds were not there. It was the Pah-ho-ho-klah , the little people of the mountains. I was scared! I did not answer them! I sat still! I did not move, did not make any noise. If I answered the calls, I would go crazy, be lost five days and nights. It would rain and be foggy five days and nights. I sat against the tree in the firelight, holding my gun. I watched just like a soldier! I did not sleep all day. I kept the fire burning, watching everywhere. The sun traveled behind the clouds; no light was in the woods.”

“Night came, dark, plenty of fog, wet rain. I must sleep! I made a big fire to light up all around the camp. I lay down, my feet to the fire and my head close against the tree. I slept long. I did not know how good I slept; then I awoke. There! I looked good! I looked sharp! Only a short distance from me, in the light of the fire, I saw him! I saw Pah-ho-ho-klah! He was sitting down, had an arrow! Yes! He was biting that arrow, sighting it with his eye! He was making the arrow straight.”

“I looked at him fixing his arrow. I saw him good. He had on buckskin clothes, a shirt filled with holes, a summer-shirt. I can make that shirt. He had a band of cedar band this wide (two fingers), tied around his head. His hair was braided like mine, hung to the middle of his breast, maybe a little shorter. I saw above his left shoulder the feather-ends of about ten arrows and a bow, all in a case on his back. The Pah-ho-ho-klah was an Indian all right, the same color as me. He was straightening arrows with his teeth, biting out crooked places. I was not scared now. I lay still. I was lots sleepy. I went to sleep again.”

“The next morning it was getting light; I heard the same voices! They went farther, farther away! After calling five times out in the woods, then they quit. The Pah-ho-ho-klah Chief had called his people from that place. The rain had now quit; the fog was thin, waving like wind. The sun came up, shining warm. I went up on a hill, looked everywhere. I knew that country; I knew where I was. I carried the deer, traveled to camp about three hours. I was safe! I am telling you this tonight.”

XXI. Babies and Babyfeet

Baby Rock, in Lane county Oregon, “is on the southwest shoulder of Heckletooth Mountain, above the track of the Southern Pacific Company just southeast of Oakridge. It was named by the Indians. Mrs. Line a Flock gave the compiler an unusual legend about the name. Indians who slept near the rock were believed to have been bitten by some animals that left the footprints of a baby. The wounds were fatal. Finally two Indians determined to exterminate these peculiar animals, and hiding in the rocks above, they surprised the visitors, jumping down on them with blankets in such a way that they could not escape. The animals were twisted in blankets and burned up. Indian Charli Tufti would never go near this rock. (Tufti Mt. is just south of Baby Rock) Mrs. Flock’s grandfather, Fred Warner, was of the opinion that the peculiar animals were porcupines, which make tracks not unlike a small baby. Indians asserted that the baby tracks remained about the rock for many years, hence the name.” Babyfoot Creek, and the Babyfoot Lake botanical Area, in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness, Curry County OR, appears to have the same sort of Indian legend behind it.

“Between Mount Adams and Mount Rainier are many small lakes, in a region where Indians used to go late in the summer for huckleberries and game. In these dark, deep lakes surrounded by tall trees, the Indians believed, lived spirits that had control of the rain...Some of the lakes in that region were said to have strange animals living in them...At night, when all was dark and quiet, the spirits would come out and gather food on the shores. In some of the lakes were the spirits of little children who had lived in the days of the ancient people. Their cries sometimes broke the silence of the nighttime. The next morning the prints of their little naked feet were found in the wet sand along the margin of the lake.

The east side of Mt. Adams (12,307) at the top has many caves where many eagles breed and live. Near the north side of the mountain is Fish Lake. Between the two is a section of large broken up rocks.

XXII. The Dwarf Mountain People

This is an Umatilla Indian story of the Dwarf Mountain People who live in the Blue Mountains, told to L.V. McWhorter by an unknown Indian at an unknown date: The Umatillas lived by the mouth of the Umatilla river, where it joins the Columbia, due east of the Teninos.

“Three brothers Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou, Tem-mot-Cio-soota-cots, and We-yow Yets-chit-con, were hunting in the Blue Mountains where there was snow. Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou, a tribal warrior and whose widow and daughter are still living (1927), was riding alone. he saw fresh deer track and proceeded to follow it. Then he noticed a moccasin track which appeared following the deer, not larger than that of a baby’s footprint. he could not understand but though, “Maybe he is also tracking the deer”.

“After a time, looking a short distance ahead, he saw an old man, an old man not larger than a papoose, dressed in a spotted fawn-skin, standing on a log. He had a bow and arrows in a fawn-skin case. Riding up close, Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou saw that the little fellow was very old, face wrinkled, eyes set deep in the head. he thought to take IT home with him. he spoke, but there was no answer. he then motioned for IT to get on the horse behind him. IT held out a very oldish-looking hand, and when grasped by Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou, leaped to the seat on the horse. Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou gathered IT close and secure in the folds of his blanket, held fast as does the mother riding with her baby so wrapped behind her.”

“Riding thus, Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou met his two brothers. They all counseled and thought to take IT home with them, to see what IT would do, what would come of IT, letting people see the little old man. They rode on and, although it was daylight and the sun was shining, soon they missed IT from the blanket held fast and close by Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou. None knew when IT disappeared, or how gone. Nothing was seen of the little old man. Nobody knew where these people live but suppose it is in caves in the rocks. They may have fire. No one knows.”

“If you are lost in the woods, and hear a calling, do not answer. It is the Little People , and they will take you wrong. It is dangerous to answer unknown callings when in the mountain forests.”

The Makah Indians of the Straight of Juan De Fuca tell a story about the cause of the northern lights.

“The northern lights come from the fires of a tribe of dwarf Indians who live many moons’ journey to the north. These dwarfs are no taller than half the length of a canoe paddle. They live on the ice, and they eat seals and whales. Although they are small, they are so strong and hardy that they can dive into cold water and catch whales with their hands. Then they boil out the blubber in fires built on the ice. The lights we sometimes see, are from the fires of those little people boiling whale blubber. The dwarfs are evil spirits, or skookums, and so we dare not speak their names”.

‘Thomas C. Pitka related his finding of many strange bare footprints of a child 7-9 years (old?) around the Green Point Upper Reservoir, SW of Hood River Or. The tracks were about 6” long, and he thought it odd that there were no other tracks about.’

‘Bud Darcor asked Ray Crowe if he wanted to “hear something strange?” It was way back in 1944 he said, and he was spending the weekend deer hunting with a younger brother near the Bly Mountain Lookout, OR., where he had a friend that worked, and had invited them up. As they were looking over the forest from the lookout tower, there appeared a bright ball that flew towards a nearby tableland. It looked like the bright ball landed on east end mountain about two miles away. The next day he and his brother hiked over to the site and were surprised to find next to a water hole, in a small clearing by the edge of a creek, a burnt patch. It was about 30 feet across, he said.

Still scratching their heads, they were hiking back to the L.O. when they had a weird feeling... then they saw “baby” footprints in the pumice dust of the road. The footprints crossed the road and went up the roadcut bank, and “sat down”. The butt print was about 6 inches across he said, and the prints were about 4 1/2 inches long. We put a board across the footprints to preserve them, and went to talk to the local Forest Service boss, and another government guy. The government guy suggested that a monkey had fallen out of an airplane, while the F.S. fellow said, “we didn’t see nothin’, and don’t know nothin’.”

This letter from Hugh Barnes appeared on the Internet on 9 Sept. 1994

Hello all!
It's been a while since I posted, so here we go. Last time I was asking for help identifying a recurring spirit...this time it is a quest for some simple info. The bogey in question is the Green Man. A friend of a friend (and I) both saw the fellow out in a local woodland. I have heard references to him before as a Native American spirit of some sort, so I thought it would be pretty easy to get some information...not so! Two days of free time were killed by yours truly for the net gain of zero. I couldn't even find a mention of it by that name, description, or anything else. I suppose I just missed it due to my having to approach the problem with next to no information, so maybe one of you can help. The "green man" (which was gray in my case...it was dark out) is short legged, long armed, moderately woolly-looking and struck me as rather old. Picture an emaciated gorilla that stands on its hind legs and has a human face and you have it. He also struck me as shorter than the average human. If there are any opinions on this, I'd like to hear them, thanks! Hugh Barnes

Rosemary Sutcliff wrote “Sword at Sunset” (Copyright 1963, Coward-McCann, NY), which is a novel about King Arthur which attempts to be somewhat historically accurate, about the “People of the Hills”, who were also called the “Little Dark People”, that lived in the “Hollow Hills”, and were allies of Arthur...Arthur was surprised one night in camp by them, and “his first thought was to curse men of the guard for sleeping on watch. But that was before I came to know the pure-blooded People of the Hills as I came to know them later. When I did, I never again was hard on a sentry who let the Dark Ones slip through, for they move like shadows on the grass.” Arthur went to visit them in the Hollow Hills, and when he was about to leave, the Old Woman of the Hills offered him a drink. “Drink, my Lord the Bear, it will shorten the long way back” she said. “Drink; there be no harm in it. Or do you fear to sleep and wake on a bare hillside and find when you return to it, the fort empty and your spear brothers dead a hundred years ago?”

goldie
goldie

November 22nd, 2001, 3:18 am #3

Locust Brother,
Thanks for a terrific post on little
people. Have you seen them yourself or
pictures of these little people? This is
a great gift for me as I've been collecting
stories and information about them for some
time. I know you meant this for two other
people but just wanted to tell you I also
enjoyed. Are there web sites or any other
books out there about them? Do they travel
with the bigfoot? goldie

Kisal
Kisal

November 22nd, 2001, 4:20 am #4

Happy Thanksgiving

Sometimes, folks, I just can't stand lurking. Some of us old-timers, ancient people like me are forgotten, along with our work, a new generation reinvents the wheel... again and again... ad hoc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. In my case, I went out of my way to have a lot of my work buried and forgotten, so it's understandable that a new generation of BFr's may not have seen the research about the little people that I compiled long ago. PLease think of this as my thanksgiving gift to the conference, I'm trying to save you some time and effort.

Kisal, you live somewhere in SW Oregon, do you not?
Babyfoot Lake and Babyfoot Creek are in your neck of the woods. If you ever have the time, take a look in your local historical society or library and see how they got those names... haha <g>

all the best

LB
--------------------------------------
XVIII. Wah’-tee -tas

Wah' -tee -tas was a word that Louis Mann used in 1916, when he was describing to L.V. McWhorter the: “'ancient people', also interpreted 'animal people'. They are described as dwarfs, not exceeding two feet in height. They were seen only during the evening twilight or in the early dawn of the morning. Death invariably followed on the heels of those who beheld the Wah' -tee -tas, except as Talismanic, as in the case of children set forth in the (oral histories). Of course an adult can commune with his or her tahmahnawis (spirit power) with beneficial results. It is claimed that Chief We-yal-lup Wy-ya-cika obtained much of his power as a medicine man from friendly Wah' -tee -tas. I do know that the Chief told me before he died that he could explain to me the meaning of all the Puh-tuh num, (meaning ‘pictured’ or ‘marked’) and that he would sometime do so. But unfortunately death claimed him before this was done. We-Yal-lup also had power from the great horned chief of the Wah' k-puch, (poison-snake) which he saw in Teiton Canyon. Schop-tash and Puh-tuh num, of the preceding story, refer to the same pictographs, or rock-paintings, to be found on great cliff in the Naches Gap near Yakama. It will be noticed that there is a slight difference in interpretation, but there should be no confusion connected with the rendition of the two appellations"

Yakama Indian Tokiaken Twi-wash told L.V. McWhorter this story in 1912. “I am now old. it was before I saw the sun that my ancestors discovered the Wah’-tee -tas, the little ancient people who wore robes woven from rabbit’s hair. They dwelt in the cliff. My people saw a little short fellow, like a person. marking the rocks as you now see them. He walked from rock to rock, hunting the smooth places. You see some of the paintings high up upon the wall. We do not know how Wah-tee -tas got up there to do the work. We see it there; we know that it is true...
Sometimes the people would see the Wah’-tee-tas once or twice a year, see them in the evening dim, or in the morning before the sun, while it was yet a little dark. The Wah’-tee-tas were spirits, but not bad.”

Chief Sluskin and an Indian named Holite gave this account to McWhorter in September, 1917. “No one knows how old the Schop-tash are, nor what they mean... It was after the flood that Man came. It was then that the Schop-tash was painted. The Schop-tash was the law for the Yakamas. They came in the night and painted the hands. Then the other paintings were made, were finished completely. These were often repainted, made bright during the night. But after white man came, this ceased. No more painting was done. The people who made the Schop-tash were small, small but full grown. No one knew where they lived. They might be seen standing on top the cliff, seen after the sun had gone down, or before it was up in the morning. But anyone seeing them died soon afterwards. No one wanted to see them. It brought death.”

“The little Wah’-tee-tas watched over the paintings, the markings, and never let them grow dim. It is too bad that white man destroyed the Puh-tuh-num. It was the law of my people, painted there on the rocks by the Wah’-tee-tas, the Ancient People.”... “I, [L.V. McWhorter] asked an old Indian there who knows these pictures who made them. He answered that they were made by some other people before the Indians came.”

XIX. Te-chum’ mah

L.V. McWhorter wrote: "The Te-chum' mah, or ground people, are diminutive, invisible dwarfs, inhabiting the more heavily-timbered peaks and summit ranges of the Cascade Mountains, especially around Lake Keechelas ... Also, up in the timbered region of the Wenas waterhead, there is a small lake known to the Yakamas as Wat-tum wat-tum, "Lake-lake," where the Te-chum' mah also reside ... They also known to reside around Fish Lake ... Their abode is the cavity of an upturned tree .”

A Chehalis-Yakama Indian gave this account of the Te-chum' mah to L.V. McWhorter:

“Sometimes I hear these little people as I travel in the night. They are small. You cannot see them if you look. One time I saw them in a dream, saw them just as if I were awake. But I was not awake. I was asleep. I saw them asleep. They look nice, about this high [ eighteen inches]. They look like big people, only they were small. I heard them talking. They are afraid of strangers. When they saw anybody coming, they said to each other, 'Doctor [medicine man] coming!' They ran and hid somewhere. When out in the woods at night, when anywhere in a lonely place, you hear them whistling like birds. You better not answer them, better not try to follow them. If you do, they make you crazy. you do not know where you are going. you run! you run! you run! You run until you die. You will not look where you go. You do not stop for anything. Maybe you fall from high rocks and die. Maybe you get lost and are never found. Do not pay attention to them. They cannot hurt you. They call like one kind of bird at night. They call like this, "W-w-wh-hah! W-w-wh-hah!"

“You have heard them. Once called close to me in the dark. I was scared! My head felt just like baked! I did not answer! I would not follow that call. I did not want to go crazy; I did not want to die. I kept going, kept traveling to get away from that place.”

XX. Pah-ho-ho-klah

The Tenino Indians (also called the Warm Springs Sahaptin), occupied a portion of the south bank of the Columbia River in North Central Oregon and the lower watershed of its southern affluents. They spoke of the Pah-ho-ho-Klah, the “ground people” or “people of the ground”, who are described in similar terms as the Te-chum-mah. This tale was told to L.V. McWhorter by Ah-nah-chu Pick-wah-pah (“Behind the Rock”), and intelligent young man of the warm springs tribe, gave McWhorter his experience with the Pah-ho-ho-klah: “calling”, “signaling” or “answering”. No date cited.

“Hunting in Oregon, I got lost in the fog and rain. I killed one deer. I did not get crazy! I did not run like wild. I thought to stay where I was when the fog came up, wait until all cleared away again. I do this when I find I’m lost. It is not good to travel when lost. You might get killed. Their are high rocks where you fall and die. I got under a big tree, a heavy topped tree. With plenty of dry wood, I built a fire out from the tree; I took a place between the fire and tree. I was close against tree, a safe place. I roasted meat from the deer and ate.”

“Not long after this I heard calling, calling like birds in the trees about my camp. It was getting dark! Other voices like birds answered farther away. I knew the birds were not there. It was the Pah-ho-ho-klah , the little people of the mountains. I was scared! I did not answer them! I sat still! I did not move, did not make any noise. If I answered the calls, I would go crazy, be lost five days and nights. It would rain and be foggy five days and nights. I sat against the tree in the firelight, holding my gun. I watched just like a soldier! I did not sleep all day. I kept the fire burning, watching everywhere. The sun traveled behind the clouds; no light was in the woods.”

“Night came, dark, plenty of fog, wet rain. I must sleep! I made a big fire to light up all around the camp. I lay down, my feet to the fire and my head close against the tree. I slept long. I did not know how good I slept; then I awoke. There! I looked good! I looked sharp! Only a short distance from me, in the light of the fire, I saw him! I saw Pah-ho-ho-klah! He was sitting down, had an arrow! Yes! He was biting that arrow, sighting it with his eye! He was making the arrow straight.”

“I looked at him fixing his arrow. I saw him good. He had on buckskin clothes, a shirt filled with holes, a summer-shirt. I can make that shirt. He had a band of cedar band this wide (two fingers), tied around his head. His hair was braided like mine, hung to the middle of his breast, maybe a little shorter. I saw above his left shoulder the feather-ends of about ten arrows and a bow, all in a case on his back. The Pah-ho-ho-klah was an Indian all right, the same color as me. He was straightening arrows with his teeth, biting out crooked places. I was not scared now. I lay still. I was lots sleepy. I went to sleep again.”

“The next morning it was getting light; I heard the same voices! They went farther, farther away! After calling five times out in the woods, then they quit. The Pah-ho-ho-klah Chief had called his people from that place. The rain had now quit; the fog was thin, waving like wind. The sun came up, shining warm. I went up on a hill, looked everywhere. I knew that country; I knew where I was. I carried the deer, traveled to camp about three hours. I was safe! I am telling you this tonight.”

XXI. Babies and Babyfeet

Baby Rock, in Lane county Oregon, “is on the southwest shoulder of Heckletooth Mountain, above the track of the Southern Pacific Company just southeast of Oakridge. It was named by the Indians. Mrs. Line a Flock gave the compiler an unusual legend about the name. Indians who slept near the rock were believed to have been bitten by some animals that left the footprints of a baby. The wounds were fatal. Finally two Indians determined to exterminate these peculiar animals, and hiding in the rocks above, they surprised the visitors, jumping down on them with blankets in such a way that they could not escape. The animals were twisted in blankets and burned up. Indian Charli Tufti would never go near this rock. (Tufti Mt. is just south of Baby Rock) Mrs. Flock’s grandfather, Fred Warner, was of the opinion that the peculiar animals were porcupines, which make tracks not unlike a small baby. Indians asserted that the baby tracks remained about the rock for many years, hence the name.” Babyfoot Creek, and the Babyfoot Lake botanical Area, in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness, Curry County OR, appears to have the same sort of Indian legend behind it.

“Between Mount Adams and Mount Rainier are many small lakes, in a region where Indians used to go late in the summer for huckleberries and game. In these dark, deep lakes surrounded by tall trees, the Indians believed, lived spirits that had control of the rain...Some of the lakes in that region were said to have strange animals living in them...At night, when all was dark and quiet, the spirits would come out and gather food on the shores. In some of the lakes were the spirits of little children who had lived in the days of the ancient people. Their cries sometimes broke the silence of the nighttime. The next morning the prints of their little naked feet were found in the wet sand along the margin of the lake.

The east side of Mt. Adams (12,307) at the top has many caves where many eagles breed and live. Near the north side of the mountain is Fish Lake. Between the two is a section of large broken up rocks.

XXII. The Dwarf Mountain People

This is an Umatilla Indian story of the Dwarf Mountain People who live in the Blue Mountains, told to L.V. McWhorter by an unknown Indian at an unknown date: The Umatillas lived by the mouth of the Umatilla river, where it joins the Columbia, due east of the Teninos.

“Three brothers Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou, Tem-mot-Cio-soota-cots, and We-yow Yets-chit-con, were hunting in the Blue Mountains where there was snow. Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou, a tribal warrior and whose widow and daughter are still living (1927), was riding alone. he saw fresh deer track and proceeded to follow it. Then he noticed a moccasin track which appeared following the deer, not larger than that of a baby’s footprint. he could not understand but though, “Maybe he is also tracking the deer”.

“After a time, looking a short distance ahead, he saw an old man, an old man not larger than a papoose, dressed in a spotted fawn-skin, standing on a log. He had a bow and arrows in a fawn-skin case. Riding up close, Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou saw that the little fellow was very old, face wrinkled, eyes set deep in the head. he thought to take IT home with him. he spoke, but there was no answer. he then motioned for IT to get on the horse behind him. IT held out a very oldish-looking hand, and when grasped by Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou, leaped to the seat on the horse. Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou gathered IT close and secure in the folds of his blanket, held fast as does the mother riding with her baby so wrapped behind her.”

“Riding thus, Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou met his two brothers. They all counseled and thought to take IT home with them, to see what IT would do, what would come of IT, letting people see the little old man. They rode on and, although it was daylight and the sun was shining, soon they missed IT from the blanket held fast and close by Cee-wal-tis-cou-cou. None knew when IT disappeared, or how gone. Nothing was seen of the little old man. Nobody knew where these people live but suppose it is in caves in the rocks. They may have fire. No one knows.”

“If you are lost in the woods, and hear a calling, do not answer. It is the Little People , and they will take you wrong. It is dangerous to answer unknown callings when in the mountain forests.”

The Makah Indians of the Straight of Juan De Fuca tell a story about the cause of the northern lights.

“The northern lights come from the fires of a tribe of dwarf Indians who live many moons’ journey to the north. These dwarfs are no taller than half the length of a canoe paddle. They live on the ice, and they eat seals and whales. Although they are small, they are so strong and hardy that they can dive into cold water and catch whales with their hands. Then they boil out the blubber in fires built on the ice. The lights we sometimes see, are from the fires of those little people boiling whale blubber. The dwarfs are evil spirits, or skookums, and so we dare not speak their names”.

‘Thomas C. Pitka related his finding of many strange bare footprints of a child 7-9 years (old?) around the Green Point Upper Reservoir, SW of Hood River Or. The tracks were about 6” long, and he thought it odd that there were no other tracks about.’

‘Bud Darcor asked Ray Crowe if he wanted to “hear something strange?” It was way back in 1944 he said, and he was spending the weekend deer hunting with a younger brother near the Bly Mountain Lookout, OR., where he had a friend that worked, and had invited them up. As they were looking over the forest from the lookout tower, there appeared a bright ball that flew towards a nearby tableland. It looked like the bright ball landed on east end mountain about two miles away. The next day he and his brother hiked over to the site and were surprised to find next to a water hole, in a small clearing by the edge of a creek, a burnt patch. It was about 30 feet across, he said.

Still scratching their heads, they were hiking back to the L.O. when they had a weird feeling... then they saw “baby” footprints in the pumice dust of the road. The footprints crossed the road and went up the roadcut bank, and “sat down”. The butt print was about 6 inches across he said, and the prints were about 4 1/2 inches long. We put a board across the footprints to preserve them, and went to talk to the local Forest Service boss, and another government guy. The government guy suggested that a monkey had fallen out of an airplane, while the F.S. fellow said, “we didn’t see nothin’, and don’t know nothin’.”

This letter from Hugh Barnes appeared on the Internet on 9 Sept. 1994

Hello all!
It's been a while since I posted, so here we go. Last time I was asking for help identifying a recurring spirit...this time it is a quest for some simple info. The bogey in question is the Green Man. A friend of a friend (and I) both saw the fellow out in a local woodland. I have heard references to him before as a Native American spirit of some sort, so I thought it would be pretty easy to get some information...not so! Two days of free time were killed by yours truly for the net gain of zero. I couldn't even find a mention of it by that name, description, or anything else. I suppose I just missed it due to my having to approach the problem with next to no information, so maybe one of you can help. The "green man" (which was gray in my case...it was dark out) is short legged, long armed, moderately woolly-looking and struck me as rather old. Picture an emaciated gorilla that stands on its hind legs and has a human face and you have it. He also struck me as shorter than the average human. If there are any opinions on this, I'd like to hear them, thanks! Hugh Barnes

Rosemary Sutcliff wrote “Sword at Sunset” (Copyright 1963, Coward-McCann, NY), which is a novel about King Arthur which attempts to be somewhat historically accurate, about the “People of the Hills”, who were also called the “Little Dark People”, that lived in the “Hollow Hills”, and were allies of Arthur...Arthur was surprised one night in camp by them, and “his first thought was to curse men of the guard for sleeping on watch. But that was before I came to know the pure-blooded People of the Hills as I came to know them later. When I did, I never again was hard on a sentry who let the Dark Ones slip through, for they move like shadows on the grass.” Arthur went to visit them in the Hollow Hills, and when he was about to leave, the Old Woman of the Hills offered him a drink. “Drink, my Lord the Bear, it will shorten the long way back” she said. “Drink; there be no harm in it. Or do you fear to sleep and wake on a bare hillside and find when you return to it, the fort empty and your spear brothers dead a hundred years ago?”
I appreciate it! Here's one more site I found:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~reed/global/patpaul.html

Kisal
Kisal

November 22nd, 2001, 4:33 am #5

Locust Brother,
with the bigfoot? goldie
of that 18" tall mummy that was found in a cave by some gold miners--early to mid 20th century, I believe. I came across that by searching under "mummies" using Google. Apparently the mummy was x-rayed and found to be a real, intact body. They estimated the age at death to have been around 85 years. The mummy has been lost for several years now. (Of course! If a thing isn't made of gold, museums always seem to lose it!)

B. Locust
B. Locust

November 22nd, 2001, 5:09 am #6

I have a gif of the head of that mummy, can't remember where I got it... got it back in 95... couldn't seem to paste it into this message though...

LB

Brother L.
Brother L.

November 22nd, 2001, 7:54 am #7

I appreciate it! Here's one more site I found:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~reed/global/patpaul.html
Every once and awhile, I cut loose with some information. I like to be the sharing type, but I hold back from saying anything usually. I've been burned too many times, by too many self righteous fools. Some say I'm such a jerk for holding back. But you know, I'm a bit cynical, usually when I have posted anything interesting about BF in the way distant past, I could count on at least three people writing articles for money plagerizing it, and five websites to grabbing it under fair use terms... sigh... makes a guy keep his mouth shut. It takes all kinds for the world to go 'round, ya know? I'm sure you all have some experience with this phenomenon. It just adds some fuel to my reluctance to say anything interesting about BF or little people or anything else.

Anyhow, it being the holidays and all, and because I like some of the people on George's board... here's another little people tidbit that will generate three articles by some looters, plagerists, and second handers...

Yakama people say 'Ste ye hah' and refer to the big guys, Nez Perce people say 'I Ste ye hah' and refer to the little guys. Yakama say 'Stick Indians' and refer to the big guys, Nez Perce say 'Stick Indians' and refer to the little guys... Interesting difference between tribes, eh??? Bet you all never noticed that before... So maybe big and little have something to do with each other afterall? I bet I read about this very same thing in Fate magazine or something like it some day.

In the continued spirit of giving... I was browsing various old disks I have today, and I came across a list I made of bigfoot hangouts named "skookum" and their coordinates... (Longitude/Latitude, followed by height if available) I made this list on 5/15/96, and sent to a BF mailing list membership at the time. Funny, that seems so long ago, but it's just over five years ago. I explored most places on this list during the period of 1993-1997. You'll notice that "skookum meadow" is just one of the many "skookum" places on this list. I went there long before anybody ever thought of it,... I told every BFooter on my email list in 1996 to go look for BF in those places, but I think I was the only one who did so, at least until till the skookum meadow cast crew came along that is. I wonder what methodology those scientific guys used to decide to look for BF in Skookum Meadow anyhow? Could it have been,... er.. maybe... might it have been, "Let's listen to Brother Locust's suggestion, even though he's crazy?" Naah, they'll never admit something I suggested in 1996 had anything to do with any choices the BFRO skookum cast expedition made as to where to look for BF. I once wanted to join the BFRO, but I was too controversial for BFRO membership, they wouldn't have me. (God, I am feeling old, just had my 45th birthday this past Monday, but you know, age isn't entirely chronological.) sigh. Reading the posts here from time to time makes me feel like Arnie Saknussen in Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth". In that spirit, here's a 1996 list I once made of skookum places, from the USGS Geographic Names Information System. Peter Byrne bought me the GNIS database on CD at the time, and I made the list originally for him. You'll notice a two spots in Mississippi, but the rest are in OR, WA, ID, MT, CO, NV, and Northern CA. I can also tell you that after I made this original list I added alternate spellings, and obsolete names of places currently named other stuff, and skookum places in Canada. Then I moved on to other things. Happy Thanksgiving once again...
LB

U.S. Geological Survey
National Geographic Names Data Base

Feature Name |ST| Type | County |Topographic Map| Coordinates |Elev
----------------|--|---------|----------|---------------|---------------|-----
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Valdez-Cor| |620632N1415007W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Yukon-Koyu| |630550N1545531W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Nome | |643823N1651256W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Nome | |650555N1661448W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Yukon-Koyu| |651157N1500839W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Nome | |653056N1641609W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Nome | |653752N1672605W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Nome | |653908N1642514W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Valdez-Cor| |622403N1425824W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Nome | |650153N1661144W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Prince of | |555903N1300307W|
Skookum Creek |AK|stream |Anchorage | |604708N1485947W|
Skookum Glacier |AK|glacier |Kenai Peni| |604347N1485344W|
Skookum Lake |AK|lake |Kenai Peni|Kenai C-2 NW (1|604115N1504458W|
Skookum River |AK|stream |Nome | |643948N1634758W|
Skookum Gulch |CA|valley |Siskiyou |Gazelle Mountai|412935N1224134W|
Skookum Prairie |CA|area |Humboldt |French Camp Rid|410932N1235202W|
Skookum Reservoi|CO|reservoir|Delta |Grand Mesa |390344N1075248W|
Skookum Butte |ID|summit |Idaho, Mis|West Fork Butte|463953N1142339W|7215
Skookum Canyon |ID|valley |Shoshone |Three Sisters |471351N1154241W|
Skookum Creek |ID|stream |Idaho |Holly Creek |462520N1150849W|
Skookum Creek |ID|stream |Kootenai |Skitwish Peak |474420N1162807W|
Skookum Creek |ID|stream |Shoshone |Three Sisters, |471342N1154224W|
Skookum Lake |ID|lake |Idaho |Dick Creek (MT)|463811N1142145W|6635
Skookum Saddle |ID|gap |Kootenai |Skitwish Peak |474221N1162556W|4020
Skookum |MI|ppl |Lake |Luther |440450N0853837W|
Skookum Bridge |MI|bridge |Lake |Luther |440445N0853836W|1033
Skookum Butte |MT|summit |Missoula, |West Fork Butte|463953N1142339W|7215
Skookum Butte Lo|MT|locale |Missoula |West Fork Butte|463953N1142339W|7215
Skookum Joe Cany|MT|valley |Sweet Gras|Squaw Peak |453232N1100227W|
Skookum Lake |MT|lake |Flathead |Marion |480123N1144433W|
Skookum Mountain|MT|summit |Lincoln |Sylvanite |484255N1154723W|5954
Skookum Placer M|MT|mine |Jefferson |Mount Thompson |Unknown |
Skookum Point |MT|summit |Sanders |Bend |475806N1150113W|5176
Skookum (histori|NV|ppl |Lander |Vigus Butte |393217N1171031W|5910
Skookum Mine |NV|mine |Lander |Vigus Butte |393229N1171039W|6180
Skookum Mining D|NV|civil |Lander |Vigus Butte |393327N1171044W|
Little Skookum L|OR|lake |Lake |Commodore Ridge|424327N1200510W|
Skookum Butte |OR|summit |Klamath |Walker Mountain|431514N1213918W|6067
Skookum Canyon |OR|valley |Harney, Gr|Dollar Basin, K|440224N1183221W|
Skookum Chuck Ca|OR|locale |Douglas |Acker Rock |430109N1224014W|3330
Skookum Chuck Cr|OR|stream |Baker |Sturgill Creek |444105N1170445W|2080
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Umatilla |Jubilee Lake |455200N1175900W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Harney, Gr|Dollar Basin, K|440225N1183218W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Douglas |Hamaker Butte, |430752N1222057W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Lane |Waldo Mountain,|435123N1220347W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Jackson |Cascade Gorge, |424251N1223234W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Grant, Mor|Johnny Cake Mou|445809N1192557W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Wallowa |Duck Creek, Gum|450633N1165620W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Jackson, S|Soda Mountain |420123N1222135W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Baker |Bennet Peak |450015N1172532W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Wasco |Kaskela, Mutton|445519N1210449W|
Skookum Creek |OR|stream |Clatsop |Gearhart |460200N1235430W|20
U.S. Geological Survey

Skookum Creek Ca|OR|locale |Douglas |Acker Rock |430111N1224012W|
Skookum Creek Fo|OR|locale |Lane |Waldo Mountain |435141N1220237W|4450
Skookum Game Exc|OR|locale |Morrow |Madison Butte |450059N1192443W|
Skookum Gorge |OR|valley |Jackson |Cascade Gorge |424245N1223238W|
Skookum Lake |OR|lake |Clackamas |Bagby Hot Sprin|445953N1220943W|
Skookum Lake |OR|reservoir|Tillamook |Blaine |452223N1234204W|
Skookum Lake |OR|lake |Lane |Waldo Mountain |435153N1220154W|
Skookum Lake |OR|lake |Douglas |Garwood Butte |431000N1222003W|
Skookum Lake |OR|lake |Lake |Commodore Ridge|424242N1200420W|
Skookum Lake Cam|OR|locale |Clackamas |Bagby Hot Sprin|445954N1220949W|4320
Skookum Lake Dam|OR|dam |Tillamook |Blaine |452224N1234148W|
Skookum Lake Wat|OR|reservoir|Lake |Commodore Ridge|424230N1200405W|5220
Skookum Lakes |OR|lake |Marion |Newberg |451546N1225734W|
Skookum Pond |OR|lake |Douglas |Buckeye Lake |430034N1223545W|3494
Skookum Prairie |OR|flat |Douglas |Garwood Butte |430847N1221930W|
Skookum Prairie |OR|locale |Douglas |Garwood Butte |430818N1221942W|5855
Skookum Rock |OR|pillar |Crook |Opal Mountain |443251N1203511W|
Skookum Spring |OR|spring |Klamath |Walker Mountain|431537N1214148W|
Skookum Spring |OR|spring |Harney |Van |435619N1184158W|
Skookum Spring |OR|spring |Grant |Dollar Basin |440307N1183006W|
Skookum Spring |OR|spring |Morrow |Madison Butte |450051N1192427W|
Skookum Spring |OR|spring |Umatilla |Jubilee Lake |455031N1175902W|
Skookum Spring |OR|spring |Harney |Round Top Butte|432405N1195320W|4980
Skookum Tum Tum |OR|park |Marion |Drake Crossing |445740N1223750W|800
Little Skookum C|WA|stream |Pend Oreil|Skookum Creek, |482210N1171055W|
Little Skookum C|WA|stream |Mason |Shelton |470740N1230542W|
Little Skookum I|WA|bay |Mason |Shelton |470840N1230335W|
Little Skookum V|WA|valley |Mason |Kamilche Valley|470633N1230813W|
North Fork Skook|WA|stream |Pend Oreil|Skookum Creek, |481904N1171417W|
North Skookum Ca|WA|locale |Pend Oreil|Browns Lake |482417N1171052W|3600
North Skookum La|WA|lake |Pend Oreil|Browns Lake |482418N1171044W|3577
North Skookum La|WA|locale |Pend Oreil|Browns Lake (WA|482415N1171052W|3578
Skookum Canyon |WA|valley |Franklin |Monumental Rock|463541N1182624W|
Skookum Canyon |WA|valley |Klickitat |Wahkiacus, Klic|454904N1210727W|
Skookum Communit|WA|locale |Pend Oreil|Skookum Creek |481525N1171311W|
Skookum Creek |WA|stream |Pierce |Sun Top |470313N1213424W|
Skookum Creek |WA|stream |Clallam |Mount Zion |475547N1230532W|930
Skookum Creek |WA|stream |Pend Oreil|Cusick, Skookum|481757N1171504W|
Skookum Creek |WA|stream |Whatcom |Acme, Cavanaugh|484015N1220825W|
Skookum Creek |WA|stream |Mason |Shelton, Summit|470759N1230512W|
Skookum Flat |WA|flat |Klickitat |Klickitat |454817N1211035W|410
Skookum Meadow |WA|flat |Skamania |Lone Butte |460546N1215040W|
Skookum Mine |WA|mine |Kittitas |Mount Stuart |472439N1205829W|4460
Skookum Peak |WA|summit |Pend Oreil|Skookum Creek |481811N1171122W|3261
Skookum Point |WA|cape |Mason |Shelton |471217N1230034W|
Skookum Puss Mou|WA|summit |Chelan |Prince Creek |481155N1202849W|7260
South Fork Skook|WA|stream |Pend Oreil|Skookum Creek |481746N1171350W|
South Skookum La|WA|lake |Pend Oreil|Browns Lake |482335N1171049W|3529
South Skookum La|WA|locale |Pend Oreil|Browns Lake |482330N1171059W|3540
South Skookum La|WA|locale |Pend Oreil|Browns Lake (WA|482331N1171059W|3530

Locust B.
Locust B.

November 22nd, 2001, 11:07 am #8

Locust Brother,
with the bigfoot? goldie
Goldie,

to answer some of your questions.

I've only had Class B experiences with the little and big people, never class A.

I don't know of any other websites, but Kisal found some good ones.

As to whether big and little run together, see my other response.
LB

November 22nd, 2001, 2:55 pm #9

Every once and awhile, I cut loose with some information. I like to be the sharing type, but I hold back from saying anything usually. I've been burned too many times, by too many self righteous fools. Some say I'm such a jerk for holding back. But you know, I'm a bit cynical, usually when I have posted anything interesting about BF in the way distant past, I could count on at least three people writing articles for money plagerizing it, and five websites to grabbing it under fair use terms... sigh... makes a guy keep his mouth shut. It takes all kinds for the world to go 'round, ya know? I'm sure you all have some experience with this phenomenon. It just adds some fuel to my reluctance to say anything interesting about BF or little people or anything else.

Anyhow, it being the holidays and all, and because I like some of the people on George's board... here's another little people tidbit that will generate three articles by some looters, plagerists, and second handers...

Yakama people say 'Ste ye hah' and refer to the big guys, Nez Perce people say 'I Ste ye hah' and refer to the little guys. Yakama say 'Stick Indians' and refer to the big guys, Nez Perce say 'Stick Indians' and refer to the little guys... Interesting difference between tribes, eh??? Bet you all never noticed that before... So maybe big and little have something to do with each other afterall? I bet I read about this very same thing in Fate magazine or something like it some day.

In the continued spirit of giving... I was browsing various old disks I have today, and I came across a list I made of bigfoot hangouts named "skookum" and their coordinates... (Longitude/Latitude, followed by height if available) I made this list on 5/15/96, and sent to a BF mailing list membership at the time. Funny, that seems so long ago, but it's just over five years ago. I explored most places on this list during the period of 1993-1997. You'll notice that "skookum meadow" is just one of the many "skookum" places on this list. I went there long before anybody ever thought of it,... I told every BFooter on my email list in 1996 to go look for BF in those places, but I think I was the only one who did so, at least until till the skookum meadow cast crew came along that is. I wonder what methodology those scientific guys used to decide to look for BF in Skookum Meadow anyhow? Could it have been,... er.. maybe... might it have been, "Let's listen to Brother Locust's suggestion, even though he's crazy?" Naah, they'll never admit something I suggested in 1996 had anything to do with any choices the BFRO skookum cast expedition made as to where to look for BF. I once wanted to join the BFRO, but I was too controversial for BFRO membership, they wouldn't have me. (God, I am feeling old, just had my 45th birthday this past Monday, but you know, age isn't entirely chronological.) sigh. Reading the posts here from time to time makes me feel like Arnie Saknussen in Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth". In that spirit, here's a 1996 list I once made of skookum places, from the USGS Geographic Names Information System. Peter Byrne bought me the GNIS database on CD at the time, and I made the list originally for him. You'll notice a two spots in Mississippi, but the rest are in OR, WA, ID, MT, CO, NV, and Northern CA. I can also tell you that after I made this original list I added alternate spellings, and obsolete names of places currently named other stuff, and skookum places in Canada. Then I moved on to other things. Happy Thanksgiving once again...
LB

U.S. Geological Survey

U.S. Geological Survey

Unfortunetely, with any translation of many Native American words, some will define more than one meaning.

Because of this, the area, and the trible most predominant must be studied to identify which of the meanings they would mostly use in attaching a name to a creek, lake, mountain...etc.

In the case of the word "Skookum", some may have used the term in reference to the area being "Haunted" or inhabited by "Monsters".

But in other cases among other tribes, the area could have been named in references to it being "Good", "Grand in scale" or possibly an excellent place to fish or hunt.

Therefore, I would suggest indivduals research the specific area you might like to investigate in order to find the historical origins of the area's specific use of the term "Skookum".

<font face="tahoma" color="00ffff" size=2">The Random House Dictionary, 2nd edition states:

skookum: adj., Northwest U.S., Canada. 1. large; powerful; impressive. 2. excellent, first-rate. (1825 - 1835, Amer.; < Chinook jargon: strong, powerful < Lower Chehalis (Salishan language of the Washington coast), ghost, spirit, monster (hence, apparently "fearsome" >.
</font>

Brother Locust, it is wonderful to see you presenting some of the vast information you have collected over the years. I am one of the fortunate that have viewed and learned from much of your work.

You are correct that there is a new generation among the community. One that did not have the chance to become Enlightened by your research, philosophy and study techniques.

Wouldn't it be nice if the material were to re-surface??????

Have a Happy one, H

Your past student

Jimbo

November 22nd, 2001, 5:38 pm #10

LB

U.S. Geological Survey

U.S. Geological Survey

THE STICK INDIANS OF THE COLVILLES
Choanito, Sc'wanay'tex and Skanicum

Among the various tribes comprising the Colville Confederation, Sasquatch was referred to by several different names but a common conceptual thread permeates all of their beliefs. He was always considered a human being, members of their own species. Prior to the arrival of the white man, the only people known to the Indians were other Indians and Sasquatch.

The Lake Band of Indians called him "Skanicum" which translates to "Stick Indian". Some Indians referred to him as "Scwe-ney-tum", derived from the original sc'wanay'tex meaning "stick (= woods) Indian".

To the Wenatchee Indians he was known as "Choanito" or "Night People."
Many Indians believed that Skanicum could turn into a tree. This belief derived from their interaction with him.

It is reported that a group of Indians followed Skanicum to a ravine through the bottom of which flowed a creek with the usual heavy growth of trees, brush, willows, etc. They sat down on the hillside where they could see the entire area including the hillsides. After a little while when Skanicum did not leave the ravine, some of the Indians went down into the ravine while others maintained vigilance from their vantage point. A complete and thorough search of the ravine yielded no sign of Skanicum, only trees, and they were certain that he could not have left the ravine without being seen. No Indian would dare to start chopping into the trees with an ax. Today, the Indians know all too well that Skanicum's color and natural camouflage enables him to stand motionless against a tree and be nearly imperceptible.

Incidents involving Skanicum and Choanito

Informants: Francis, an Indian woman, age 60 and niece to Patrick, described later, and her mother, Laura, age 85, are members of the Lake Band. Francis pronounces "Skanicum" as if clearing her throat with a mouth full of saliva. This interview with Francis on September 17, 1985, was followed by another with her mother, Laura, at her separate residence at Nespelem. Laura (deceased in 1987) verified everything as reported by Francis, adding many details. Laura relates that as a child she had a much greater interest in things, especially Skanicum, than other Indian women whom she knew. She would ask questions of her Grandfather and Grandmother who explained things to her and passed on many stories. As a child, from about the age of six, she would sleep outside and spend considerable time in the mountains alone, could identify and understood the many sounds that she heard, like the "iiieee" cry of Skanicum.

Back around the turn of the century (1885-1900) the Indians set up a fishing camp near Keller on the San Poll River ("D" on map, p26). In the evening the men would return, tired and hungry, to camp with their days catch. The women would work all evening processing the fish and putting it on drying racks to dry. While cooking dinner one of the women, a recent bride through bride-purchase, took a kettle and went off after water. Minutes later she was heard screaming. The men rushed to the scene but could only stand and watch as Skanicum carried her off. They knew that Skanicum was very vengeful and if harmed the captive may be injured and the mountains would not be safe for any Indian. As she was carried away, the captive tore off and dropped pieces of her white slip leaving a trail for the men to follow. She was with Skanicum all summer, or at least a couple of months, when the men searching for her on horseback saw her gathering wild potato roots.

Skanicum was asleep nearby. Upon seeing the men she emptied her lap of the potatoes, crept quietly to them, leaped on one of the horses behind it's rider, and thus escaped. Upon return to camp all of the Indians immediately broke camp and hastily departed the area. During her stay with Skanicum the woman had gathered roots, etc., which they shared. Skanicum eats anything that other people eat but lives primarily on roots such as that of the thule (tooly) or cattail plant, which they gather, dry, and store in caves. They build fires with flint stone and steal hides from Indians, which they use for bedding and to cover the entrance to their cave.

During her stay with Skanicum the woman became pregnant and bore a son named Patrick, who grew up on the reservation. Patrick's body structure was very different from that of other Indians as his arms were very long, reaching about to his knees. He was very short, about 5'4" tall (his mother was described as "tiny"), possessed a sloping forehead, very large lower jaw, a very large wide mouth with straight upper and lower lips, and straight protruding teeth. He was kind of stooped, or hump-backed. His ears were elongated upwards (peaked) and bent outward at the top. He had very large hands and long fingers, is described as very ugly although extremely intelligent. He attended school on the reservation, was "very smart", operated a ranch in the area, died at about the age of 30, and is buried on the reservation. Patrick is described as a "gentle" man, never beat or mistreated his wife. He married easily as he had a good ranch and was considered "affluent". From this marriage to Laura's cousin was born three daughters and two sons. Both sons died at an early age. The three daughters were named, in order from oldest to youngest, Mary Louise, now about 65 years old, Madeline, and Stella. Stella died at a young age. Mary Louise lives near Omak. A couple of summers ago Mary Louise spent several weeks with Laura. Mary had heard several times over the years that her paternal grandfather was a Skanicum and sought verification from Laura. Laura revealed all to her, confirming that her father was indeed half Skanicum. Mary Louise' physical appearance is relatively "normal". However, both girls have wide mouths (look like split from ear to ear), protruding teeth, and squint eyes. But Madeline, who lives on the Washington coast, has other very distinct Skanicum features such as sloping forehead, long peaked ears, etc. She is considered ugly by Indian standards, is an alcoholic spending much time in taverns. Patrick's wife, mother of these girls, is Laura's first cousin.

Francis met Patrick when she was a young girl about eight years old. She reports another incident in about 1982 when she and her niece were returning to Nespelem from Omak just after dark. About two miles from Omak near a gravel pit they passed a Skanicum standing alongside the road.

About a year later Francis and Laura were returning home when they stopped up on Keller Butte to eat chicken that they had brought back with them. They heard Skanicum scream only a short distance away. So close in fact that they quickly left the area. There is a cave near Kartar on the reservation where Skanicum is known to live.

Laura reports that some years ago she shot a deer not far from Nespelem. Being alone at the time and unable to load it into her car, she returned the next morning with her grandson. Several Skanicum were on the scene. One, a female, was standing just alongside the road and never moved as Laura drove by her, getting a good look at her. She looked human, was about six feet tall, her body covered with long brown hair, had a sloping forehead with ears that appeared to be pulled upward. Arriving at the deer carcass they found that the liver had been removed, as had the tender parts of both rear flanks. The skin had been carefully rolled from the hindquarters; the meat was very clean (she reiterates and emphasizes how clean the meat was). She and her grandson left the carcass as they found it and left the area. Laura states that there are areas just south of Nespelem and about two miles north of the Columbia River where she can call Skanicum (in his language, she knows how) and he will answer. She believes that they live in the area. At one time she encountered a large male Skanicum on the highway near Nespelem. It tried to converse with her, making organized sounds, leaving her to believe that they have a language. She left quickly.

Louie, a 79 year old male member of the Columbia-Moses Band, knew Patrick all of his life and remembers him and his family well. He worked for Patrick on his ranch around 1925-1930, describes him as a "pinhead" about 5' 4" tall, with larger than normal ears, mouth, teeth, and with large hands he was a very good card player who seemed to instinctively know what everyone else was holding.

Choanito

Among the Wenatchee Tribe, Sasquatch was known as Choanito, which in their language, means "NIGHT PEOPLE" and is pronounced Cho-a-ni-to.

Isabel, a 100-year-old Indian woman, member of the Wenatchee Tribe, gave the following report of an event, which occurred during her Great Grandfather's generation:

In the fall of the year, October, a group of male members of the Wenatchee Tribe were on a hunting trip near Wenatchee Lake. One of the men became separated from the rest of the party and was captured by Choanito. He was taken to a cave far up in the Rocky Mountains and held captive by a family of Choanitos through the winter until spring. The odor in the cave was terrible. They would not take him out hunting with them but made him remain in camp near the cave with the women. They were like a different tribe of Indians. In the spring they returned him to where they had captured him. Upon returning to his camp he was immediately recognized by the children who couldn't believe that he was back as he had been gone for so long. They thought that he had been killed. He had been well treated by Choanito.

Other Reports

Margie, an Anglo woman married and living on the reservation since 1984, reports that recently she and her mother-in-law had dug camas-roots, which they placed on the roof of their trailer near Nespelem Creek, where animals could not get at them.

During the night her mother-in-law heard Choanito on the roof. In the morning the camas-roots were gone and Choanito had put her puppy up on the roof. Choanito
is still very active in the area.

At night lights can be seen moving along the base of a nearby mountain as a pack of them travel along, and many have been reported on Keller Butte. People are always warned to be out of the mountains before dark.

Other Reports

Nancy, a 90-year-old Indian woman, reports that some years ago loads of Indians were taken to Yakima to pick hops. A woman living in her tepee at the rodeo grounds at the Indian Agency stayed home to tend her garden. She was captured from her tepee by Skanicum. The Skanicum was known to often steal dried salmon from the Indians in this area. Skanicum is known to live only in caves. He places willows over the door.

Vince, a 30-year-old member of the Lake Band and a friend of this author, reports that as a small boy his grandfather, who was a Blue Jay, took him far up on Moses Mountain to see Skanicum. He was told to be very quiet and he would see them. He did see Skanicum close up and reports "he was Huge" He knows of a cave going deep into the mountain that is reported to be a home of Skanicum. He has been inside the opening which he states is squared and smooth, appears to have been worked on with tools, and was covered with tree branches. Inside is a strong Skanicum stench. He was afraid to go further into the cave.

Excerpt: from:

S'CWENE'YTI
AND
THE STICK INDIANS OF THE COLVILLES
By Ed Fusch, Anthropologist

Special thanks to Joe Beelart for sending me the complete work.

The complete paper can be read here on Bobbie Short's website:

http://www.n2.net/prey/bigfoot/