Timeless, long awaited and it was fantastic. Spoilers.

fain3000
Registered Member
fain3000
Registered Member

September 5th, 2018, 4:27 am #1

Wow, we see a whole host of characters in this book, Jaraxle, Zak, Entreri, Athrogate etc and numerous demons. And we learn who bought Zak back to life, it wasn't Lloth, at least directly. 

Drizzt has move onto another level in his martial prowess. He has used his training with The Unstoppable Juggernaut Kane to improve, easily defeating Zak twice in sparring. 
Standing up to 2 Mariliths at once and surviving. 

Not to mention he kicks and punches like a very powerful monk now. 

Now Drizzt >  Zaknafein = Entreri. Before, Drizzt >= Entreri, would have won a majority of the fights, 7 or 8/10, now 10/10. Only one greater than Drizzt in martial prowess, Grandmaster Kane, the godly one. 

Jeshurun
Registered Member
Jeshurun
Registered Member

September 6th, 2018, 3:12 am #2

Last edited by Jeshurun on September 11th, 2018, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarthiel
Registered Member
Sarthiel
Registered Member

September 6th, 2018, 10:46 am #3

fain3000 wrote: Wow, we see a whole host of characters in this book, Jaraxle, Zak, Entreri, Athrogate etc and numerous demons. And we learn who bought Zak back to life, it wasn't Lloth, at least directly. 

Drizzt has move onto another level in his martial prowess. He has used his training with The Unstoppable Juggernaut Kane to improve, easily defeating Zak twice in sparring. 

Now Drizzt >  Zaknafein = Entreri. Before, Drizzt >= Entreri, would have won a majority of the fights, 7 or 8/10, now 10/10. Only one greater than Drizzt in martial prowess, Grandmaster Kane, the godly one. 
Tbh it seemed to me that Drizzt surpassed Zak after so many years rather than just now. He was around or close to Zak's level when he left Menzo at the age of 30 or so. Now Drizzt is almost 200 years old.

The tricks he picked from the Monastery are cool though he defeated Zak via swordsmanship rather than via monk techniques. The Ghost step he used to defeat Zak is a swordsman move rather than a monk one. Drizzt simply perfected his skills immensely over the years. We had seen in his training moment how he cares about perfecting his fighting sequences.

And the last fight Drizzt had with Arty, which ended in a draw, happened like a few months before this one.

But Drizzt is indeed becoming a truly complete warrior now by expanding his tricks. He combines swordsmanship with monk skills which is quite rare.

Jarl however was still the untouchable one as even with Drizzt and Zak ending up gravely hurt by the end, the mercenary was the one to be unscatched according to Regis.

Nothing can kill the guy lol.

fain3000
Registered Member
fain3000
Registered Member

September 7th, 2018, 1:49 am #4

Sarthiel wrote:
fain3000 wrote: Wow, we see a whole host of characters in this book, Jaraxle, Zak, Entreri, Athrogate etc and numerous demons. And we learn who bought Zak back to life, it wasn't Lloth, at least directly. 

Tbh it seemed to me that Drizzt surpassed Zak after so many years rather than just now. He was around or close to Zak's level when he left Menzo at the age of 30 or so. Now Drizzt is almost 200 years old.

The tricks he picked from the Monastery are cool though he defeated Zak via swordsmanship rather than via monk techniques. The Ghost step he used to defeat Zak is a swordsman move rather than a monk one. Drizzt simply perfected his skills immensely over the years. We had seen in his training moment how he cares about perfecting his fighting sequences.

And the last fight Drizzt had with Arty, which ended in a draw, happened like a few months before this one.

But Drizzt is indeed becoming a truly complete warrior now by expanding his tricks. He combines swordsmanship with monk skills which is quite rare.

Jarl however was still the untouchable one as even with Drizzt and Zak ending up gravely hurt by the end, the mercenary was the one to be unscatched according to Regis.

Nothing can kill the guy lol.
He was close to Zak before leaving Menzo, sure. Zakanfein is a 24th level fighter, which is incredibly high for a fighter. Zak was the GOAT fighter of Menzo for about 300 years before his death. 

The last fight with Entreri, Drizzt wasn't sound of mind and has not internalized his monk training. Only after the fight and candle thing with Kane was he all good. The monks mentioned this in the book and said that if Drizzt was sound of mind, he may be able to ascend like Kane.

Drizzt has been studying/practicing all his training with Kane and the monks for months now. 

Drizzt:
"Yes he knew, this strike-and-turn routine would prove superior to anything he had ever before attempted." Drizzt used this same move on Zak, which injured him and this led of Drizzt winning. Zak also states "You have greatly improved my son".
 "And now, with the added benefit of the balance and techniques he had learned from Grandmaster Kane, he felt more capable and confident as a warrior than he had in his entire life".
Kane's training once again:
"His blades worked in a blur, fending off the demons, and at the same time Drizzt flexed the muscles of his leg, seeking the poison, feeling it and rejecting it, pushing it back out through the wound, denying it deeper access."

Sarthiel
Registered Member
Sarthiel
Registered Member

September 7th, 2018, 11:23 am #5

fain3000 wrote:

He was close to Zak before leaving Menzo, sure. Zakanfein is a 24th level fighter, which is incredibly high for a fighter. Zak was the GOAT fighter of Menzo for about 300 years before his death. 

The last fight with Entreri, Drizzt wasn't sound of mind and has not internalized his monk training. Only after the fight and candle thing with Kane was he all good. The monks mentioned this in the book and said that if Drizzt was sound of mind, he may be able to ascend like Kane.

Drizzt has been studying/practicing all his training with Kane and the monks for months now. 

Drizzt:
"Yes he knew, this strike-and-turn routine would prove superior to anything he had ever before attempted." Drizzt used this same move on Zak, which injured him and this led of Drizzt winning. Zak also states "You have greatly improved my son".
 "And now, with the added benefit of the balance and techniques he had learned from Grandmaster Kane, he felt more capable and confident as a warrior than he had in his entire life".
Kane's training once again:
"His blades worked in a blur, fending off the demons, and at the same time Drizzt flexed the muscles of his leg, seeking the poison, feeling it and rejecting it, pushing it back out through the wound, denying it deeper access."
I'm not sure if RAS cares about game stats to rank his characters. But even if he did I believe it unlikely that Drizzt would "level up" like 1 or 2 levels during almost 150 years and then suddenly jumped like...5 levels in a few months. It was never stated as far as I recall that Zak was Entreri's equal either.

And as far that quote about Drizzt being able to ascend like Kane did was actually "He certainly could, with years of training, aspire to the level of Afafrenfere or Savahn, and likely to Perrywinkle Shin's rank as well-perhaps he could become one of the very few to transcend, as had Kane". That means that Drizzt will actually need years to get to Afafrenfere's monk level. The number of years wasn't specified then but of course to reach Kane's level it will obviously take more than a couple of years to get there. Drizzt is still a monk novice even if a very promising one IMO.

Also Drizzt in his fight with Zak did not employ Monk abilities like Quivering Palm or Empty Body. Nothing that would require advanced mental/spiritual training. And when they fought it was described as them matching each other blow by blow till Drizzt used his new move to catch Zak off guard. And in the 2nd duel when Drizzt won via a Ghost step this time. Drizzt using new moves to improve is not something that happened just now though. Against Entreri in the Legacy he also used a complex move that put the assasin on his heels till Arty figured a counter later in that book. Both guys are constantly training to create new maneuvers.

Furthermore, Drizzt's fights against powerful opponents are more than just a matter of overpower or outspeed them. They are a matter of improvisation and thinking ahead leading to outsmart them. Feints and feints within feints kind of thing.

But yeah, against the Marilith demons Drizzt was only able to not bleed to death thanks to the monk techniques he got. Catti mentioned that Drizzt should've been death otherwise both due to bleeding out or via the demon poison. Handy.

montecristo76
Registered Member
montecristo76
Registered Member

September 10th, 2018, 5:48 pm #6

Did everybody else's book come with the extra section at the end with the little snippets of Zak and Jax and Drizzt and Kane?  I bought mine at Barnes and Noble and it says it's a Barnes and Noble exclusive and I'm just curious how "exclusive" it really is.

Kamaro
Registered Member
Kamaro
Registered Member

September 11th, 2018, 7:38 pm #7

I haven't read the book yet, but it makes sense to me that Drizzt would be the best. 200 years of almost continuous combat and fighting for your life tends to make one tough. 

montecristo76
Registered Member
montecristo76
Registered Member

September 11th, 2018, 11:23 pm #8

Liked the book but his treatment of Wulfgar is down right insulting . . . you know, if it weren't for the fact that Wulfgar isn't real and can't actually be insulted.

Bageria
Registered Member
Bageria
Registered Member

September 14th, 2018, 12:36 am #9

Apparently the Abyss has no fury like a scorned dwarf; if Athrogate ever learns the names of the demons responsible, they will only touch the material plane for his pleasure.  So hoping Artemis serves Zaknafein a big piece of humble pie in regards to "Iblith"; a stale-mate would suffice I believe.  Too many webs for me to dare take a guess at where this will all end or rather hopefully only continue to lead.

SomeDude
Registered Member
SomeDude
Registered Member

Today, 6:15 pm #10

Bageria wrote: So hoping Artemis serves Zaknafein a big piece of humble pie in regards to "Iblith"; a stale-mate would suffice I believe.  Too many webs for me to dare take a guess at where this will all end or rather hopefully only continue to lead.
I was hoping this would happen in timeless. I was actually hoping Zak and Drizzt wouldn't fight at first, and Zak's first real fight would be Artemis.. and for Artemis to beat him well and good.

I really enjoyed the sometimes you don't want to meet your heroes/idols aspect of the book. Turns out Zak is kind of a dick and nothing like Drizzt. In fact, Zak is a lot more like Artemis. All Zak and Drizzt have in common is not being evil.

Overall, I loved thos book. Drizzt himself was no longer boring (I've basically been reading for Artemis, Jarlaxle, and Athrogate for years now, not for Drizzt), and Zak is super interesting. In fact, I'd love for Zak to go off with Artemis and Jarlaxle, have their own adventures. The interaction between the three would be great.