Movies you've watched recently.

Archived threads and posts
Wyvie
Registered Member
Wyvie
Registered Member

May 15th, 2013, 5:54 pm #2151

In the last couple of weeks we watched Silver Linings Playbook, which I liked a lot, especially the performances by Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert de Niro. Although at times it was uncomfortable to watch - people yelling at each other and being no-filter type of brutally honest - but by the end I appreciated watching that kind of family. People who are crazy and bold and off balance and sometimes hurt each other, but still love each other. It's different from my family growing up; we love each other always, but we're quiet and secretive and rarely behave badly. Sometimes it's too claustrophobic being that way, and it was refreshing to see an alternative.

We also watched Django Unchained, (husband fast-forwarded the very violent parts for me), and I liked it, although between that and Playbooks I'm a little worn out on the f- and n-words. I love Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz to pieces. 

And then last night I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild, which was enchanting and confusing and boring and interesting all at once. After watching it I can say I liked it, but at some points during I was thinking to myself "what the crap am I watching?" It was also late at night and I was tired, so maybe it's a movie you have to see while wide awake.

edit to add: I also recently re watched Nacho Libre. I love that movie. I know lots of people don't, but i do. It just tickles me. 

We need body rockin', not perfection
Let me get some action from the back section

BEAST
Registered Member
BEAST
Registered Member

May 20th, 2013, 9:45 am #2152

For some reason, I decided to watch the original four Japanese Ringu horror films this weekend. I wanted to see how the franchise started.

I started watching the 2 American The Ring remakes, too, but I found myself growing tired of it all and stopped. Maybe tomorrow?

I liked that the Japanese franchise did not simply repeat the same formula, over and over again. They mixed things up, with different directors even, and explored the mythos. Yes, there were times when they seemed to lag almost to a halt. Sometimes they seemed more like suspenseful art films than anything I would call "horror".

(That is, I hear, until the recent, 5th movie in that series {Ringu 3: Sadako}, which is apparently just a cheesy S F/X romp, and totally nonsensical.)

While I didn't finish what I started this weekend, I do feel good for having seen the originals. They were worth the wait.
<Comprehensive Chronology of RAS Forgotten Realms Works>

"He is blunt, yes, particularly with criticism. He speaks of error without apology and without judgment, simply telling the honest truth and leaving it up to the offender to correct, or not to correct this situation. Bruenor never allows tact or empathy to get in the way of his telling the world how it can be better!"
--On BEAST, and Bruenor Battlehammer; Drizzt Do'Urden (The Crystal Shard, Part 1)

Sargai
Registered Member
Sargai
Registered Member

May 23rd, 2013, 3:55 am #2153

The Hole - I could have sworn there was another movie by this title years back, but don't actually feel like searching to find out. Anyway, this one is about a couple kids who move to a new town and discover a padlocked hatch to a bottomless hole in their basement. There is a pretty decent potential for a good horror movie in there, but this is a PG-13 horror film that would have probably been PG a decade ago so it isn't exactly terrifying.
“The tree of nonsense is watered with error, and from its branches swing the pumpkins of disaster.”
---
(Former) Lord of Hate | President of the Artemis Entreri Fanclub | Lord of Wrath | King of 21st Birthdays | Bard | The Master | Enabler | Court Jester | Somewhat Awesome | Ties with Cats | Amateur Story Spinner | Tied Down and Whipped | Sir Social | Dream Thief | The Randomly Crippled
Kammioderin says: By the way, you do not get to add Prophet to your titles.

BEAST
Registered Member
BEAST
Registered Member

May 23rd, 2013, 5:34 am #2154

Sargai wrote:
The Hole - I could have sworn there was another movie by this title years back, but don't actually feel like searching to find out. Anyway, this one is about a couple kids who move to a new town and discover a padlocked hatch to a bottomless hole in their basement. There is a pretty decent potential for a good horror movie in there, but this is a PG-13 horror film that would have probably been PG a decade ago so it isn't exactly terrifying.
The commercials reminded me of the '80s movie The Gate.

<Comprehensive Chronology of RAS Forgotten Realms Works>

"He is blunt, yes, particularly with criticism. He speaks of error without apology and without judgment, simply telling the honest truth and leaving it up to the offender to correct, or not to correct this situation. Bruenor never allows tact or empathy to get in the way of his telling the world how it can be better!"
--On BEAST, and Bruenor Battlehammer; Drizzt Do'Urden (The Crystal Shard, Part 1)

Sargai
Registered Member
Sargai
Registered Member

May 26th, 2013, 9:15 pm #2155

Watched ParaNorman. There are a handful of great/hilarious scenes that make the movie worth a watch, but they really don't push the movie beyond decent. Though I wasn't too fond of the animation style, I thought the visuals during climactic showdown were excellent.
“The tree of nonsense is watered with error, and from its branches swing the pumpkins of disaster.”
---
(Former) Lord of Hate | President of the Artemis Entreri Fanclub | Lord of Wrath | King of 21st Birthdays | Bard | The Master | Enabler | Court Jester | Somewhat Awesome | Ties with Cats | Amateur Story Spinner | Tied Down and Whipped | Sir Social | Dream Thief | The Randomly Crippled
Kammioderin says: By the way, you do not get to add Prophet to your titles.