The Imitation Game

January 12th, 2015, 5:16 pm #1

Finally got to see The Imitation Game last night - it was fully booked last time we tried to go.

Good performance by old Cucumberpatch and a very watchable film, if not very accurate historically.

I am myself indifferent. Honest.

January 17th, 2015, 11:24 am #2

That 'good performance by "old" Cumberpatch' has gained him not only a nomination for Best actor at the forthcoming British Academy Film Awards but also an Oscar nomination for Best Actor and a double bubble nomination in both Best Film categories too!
No Drama, No Point!

January 18th, 2015, 1:59 am #3

I'm sure the nominations are well-deserved, but he will be up against Eddie Redmayne again. I've heard that he has more chance of beating Eddie in the Oscars, since he has a higher profile in Hollywood, but Michael Keaton probably has a higher profile still. Who's your money on, Mobs?

Coincidentally, we've been watching "12 Years a Slave" tonight, another film in which our Benedict appears.

January 18th, 2015, 2:14 am #4

It was nice, if just slightly oddly worded, to hear Benedict Cumberbatch has said that telling his parents, both of whom are actors, that their only son had just been nominated for an Oscar was the proudest moment of his life. I watched 12 years a Slave on the aeroplane coming over to Britain, perhaps not the best choice really, but it's not something my husband would ever choose to go to. Why did Timothy Spall not get any recognition at the Baftas. though?

January 19th, 2015, 10:17 am #5

waiting4atickle wrote:I'm sure the nominations are well-deserved, but he will be up against Eddie Redmayne again. I've heard that he has more chance of beating Eddie in the Oscars, since he has a higher profile in Hollywood, but Michael Keaton probably has a higher profile still. Who's your money on, Mobs?
Well I've seen all three of the films the actors you mention are in and it is difficult to split them...Eddie Redmayne is incredible as Stephen Hawking, who Benny Dic was the first actor ever to play in an excellent made-for-television version in 2006. But Eddie gets the edge in this respect - he physically turns into Stephen so much so that you forget the actor and only see the physicist! It's an amazing tour de force for Eddie and Felicity Jones, who plays Stephen's wife Jane...she's travelled far after leaving Emma of the Archers behind and thoroughly deserves her BAFTA & Oscar 'best actress' nominations.

However, Michael Keaton is back! Watching his role as an actor, once famous for portraying an iconic superhero, as he struggles to mount a Broadway play. In the days leading up to opening night, we see him battling his ego whilst attempting to recover his family, his career, and himself and there's no doubt it's fascinating stuff...principally, but not only, because of an original screenplay and the smart direction of Alejandro González Iñárritu, married with the inventive camerawork of Emmanuel Lubezki, also nominated for an Oscar in the cinematography category.

So although I would give the Oscar best actor award to Eddie, who I first met as a raw young actor in the bar at the Royal Court, I think the Academy will go for Michael's performance in Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance). I do think Eddie will win the BAFTA award for best actor.
No Drama, No Point!

January 20th, 2015, 7:43 pm #6

Mobson wrote:I think the Academy will go for Michael's performance in Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance). I do think Eddie will win the BAFTA award for best actor.

Yes, that's the impression I've picked up from hearing the odd snippet on the radio, but it's not something I follow very closely.

January 26th, 2015, 1:20 am #7

Saw The Theory tonight. As you say, Mobs, Felicity Jones was splendid - far too good for Ed Grundy.

April 16th, 2016, 1:52 am #8

We watched The Imitation Game the other night on DVD, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We wondered if the woman in it was real and when I checked that I found she was but people did quibble about the historical accuracy of the film. They seemed to be hung up on Turing being questioned about his possible treason, but I didn't find that part very stressed, and in fact I didn't think the film-makers thought he was at all, though they did show the actor who played Tom in Downton Abbey (i have forgotten his real name) as a traitor which bothered me a bit as I liked Tom!!

Cumberbatch was very good in it. At times I almost forgot it was him/he.

October 29th, 2016, 1:51 am #9

Watched the Imitation Game again this week as it was shown on FilmFour...goodness what a gripping film it is - not surprised it won a 2015 Oscar for best writing, adapted screenplay for Graham Moore, along with 7 nominations in best film, directing, editing, original score, production design, and best performance by an actress (Keira Knightley) and yes Benedict Cumberbatch for best actor...they're both very good but Benedict excels in the role of the brilliant and tragic Alan Turing...heartbreakingly so at the end.

We are lucky to have Benedict Cumberbatch CBE ...he's so versatile and choses his roles intelligently...among his many roles on stage (Rattigan's After the Dance & Danny Boyle's Frankenstein, both at the NT; playing Hamlet in an excellent production at the Barbican Centre last year which sold out months before it was staged) and on screen, his portrayal of Sherlock is lauded around the world since he took up the famous fictional detective's mantel in 2010 and the first episode of the 4th season, The Six Thatchers, will appear on our tv's on New Year's Day after the tv movie The Abominable Bride won an Emmy...whilst filming his latest role where he plays Marvel comic book hero Dr Stephen Strange, a neurosurgeon who after a serious car accident goes on a journey seeking enlightenment and repair...he told us on Graham Norton last night that whilst they were filming in Nepal even bearded up, thousands turned up on the first day & he was subsequently mobbed by hundreds of people who knew him as Sherlock...I went to see the film Dr Strange last night...too tired to review it right now as it's 3.35am!

Postscript: If you are a fan, or even if you're not, I thoroughly recommend catching his portrayal of Christopher Tietjens, a deeply honourable man who finds himself the unlikely centre of a love triangle. His wife Sylvia (Rebecca Hall) is mercurial and adulterous and while separated briefly from her, he meets the idealistic young suffragette Valentine Wannop (Adelaide Clemens). He cares for his wife but his heart belongs to Valentine. But with World War I and the horrors of the Western Front looming in his future will life for Christopher ever be the same again?

Adapted by Sir Tom Stoppard from Ford Madox Ford’s tetralogy of novels into a 5-part series Parade’s End was produced by Mammoth Screen (who have since been responsible for Poldark, Victoria, Endeavour) and aired to immense critical acclaim. It features an ensemble cast which is a veritable Who’s Who of British acting talent: Anne Marie-Duff, Roger Allam, Stephen Graham, Rupert Everett, Rufus Sewell, Miranda Richardson and Freddie Fox.

Parade’s End won best tv drama at the South Bank Sky Arts Awards beating tough competition. Parade’s End was also honoured with four Broadcasting Press Guild Awards for best drama series, best actor for Benedict Cumberbatch (winning jointly for his portrayal of both Christopher Tietjens and Sherlock), best actress for Rebecca Hall for her stunning portrayal of Sylvia Tietjens and best writer for Sir Tom Stoppard.

The series is available to buy on dvd/blu ray and you can also purchase Sir Tom Stoppard’s adaptation of the script.
No Drama, No Point!

November 1st, 2016, 9:27 pm #10

On filmfour again tonight...
No Drama, No Point!