Paddington Bear 2

November 30th, 2017, 1:04 pm #1

Brilliant film! The Sunday Times Culture film critic and I agree! "Paddington is well up to scratch in a captivating sequel" ....not that I saw the first film, Paddington (2014) in its entirety...I've only seen clips but apparently it betters its predecessor in one vital respect...a madly entertaining character called Phoenix Buchanan, a fading West End star, who drives the sequel's plot to larceny, played by Hugh Grant as a grandiose cravat-wearing luvvie, who unlike his predecessor in the first film, has no plans to kill Paddington and skin his corpse which baddie Nicole Kidman was intent upon but obviously failed! I don't want to give too much of the plot away but for a bear, it's not pretty in clink! Yes, Pads does jail time, of course he's wrongly convicted of a theft, when a fearsome refectory cook played by an excellent Brendan Gleason is mollified when he tastes Paddington's marmalade!

Ben Wishaw reprises his role, well lends his voice, as Paddington, which must be fun after playing rather grim roles recently, although he is the current 'Q' in the latest Bonds...he's also joined up (the operative word) with Hugh Grant again as they currently film a TV movie called A Very English Scandal about politician Jeremy Thorpe (Grant) accused of murdering his ex-lover Norman Scott played by Wishaw. Russel T. Davies has adapted John Preston's book and its directed by Stephen Frears (Dangerous Liaisons, High Fidelity, The Queen, Philomena, and more recently Victoria & Abdul with Dame Judy!

Back to Paddington...So it's hard not to ignore all the positive reviews surrounding the release of this sequel and less face it, unless you're a non-film goer or a Grinch, occasional flights of pure artistic fantasy are superb! I mean who could resist a Talking Bear from Peru! On the strength of the reviews I decided was going to see the film, but went with a girlfriend and her 13 yr old daughter last weekend and we all loved it!

On my recommendation, my close friend in Tenerife took her 8 yr old grand-daughter to last night's english version and they both raved about it!
No Drama, No Point!

December 5th, 2017, 3:21 pm #2

Mrs Tickle and her best buddy went to see it a few weeks ago, but they didn't invite me. Sounds fun. Perhaps I could get Grace-3 to take me if she hasn't already seen it.

I am myself indifferent. Honest.