Racing sparrow 750 launched in Cape town

The Forum for RacingSparrow radio controlled yachts. Focussing on build your own scratch building, free plans for download and a comprehensive builders guide book.

Best wishes and happy sailing, Bryn Heveldt.

Racing sparrow 750 launched in Cape town

Joined: 10 Oct 2017, 19:52

10 Dec 2017, 18:50 #1

Launched my sparrow 750 today in moderate wind and she sailed like a beaut. Weight all up 2.1kg, water line was perfect on bottom of bow and stern. Used claudio device to put camber in sails, jib and first seam of main at 6% worked great did top seam at 10% to much camber so it spoilt some wind going up wind, but was a blessing when tge wind got up. Thanks Bryn great plans and info book really enjoyed the build.
IMG_20171210_082718.jpg
IMG_20171210_163703.jpg
IMG_20171210_164046.jpg
IMG_20171210_082718.jpg IMG_20171210_163703.jpg IMG_20171210_164046.jpg
Reply
Like

Joined: 06 Sep 2012, 07:54

16 Dec 2017, 10:14 #2

Gary Hirst wrote: Launched my sparrow 750 today in moderate wind and she sailed like a beaut. Weight all up 2.1kg, water line was perfect on bottom of bow and stern. Used claudio device to put camber in sails, jib and first seam of main at 6% worked great did top seam at 10% to much camber so it spoilt some wind going up wind, but was a blessing when tge wind got up. Thanks Bryn great plans and info book really enjoyed the build.
Hi Gary.
Looks good. So satisfying when it first gets wet and sails away perfectly. Will always remember my Sparrow's maiden voyage.
Cheers, Terry.
I was born intelligent, but my education made me stupid.
Reply
Like

Joined: 27 May 2014, 05:58

18 Dec 2017, 21:53 #3

Lord Nelson wrote:
Gary Hirst wrote: Launched my sparrow 750 today in moderate wind and she sailed like a beaut. Weight all up 2.1kg, water line was perfect on bottom of bow and stern. Used claudio device to put camber in sails, jib and first seam of main at 6% worked great did top seam at 10% to much camber so it spoilt some wind going up wind, but was a blessing when tge wind got up. Thanks Bryn great plans and info book really enjoyed the build.
Hi Gary.
Looks good. So satisfying when it first gets wet and sails away perfectly. Will always remember my Sparrow's maiden voyage.
Cheers, Terry.
Well done Gary...All the possible problems throughout the build just disappear as she (him) sails away for the first time.
Hope to see more photos as you twig things.....

Like the cradle that you made,,, very home made,,,just like the boat
Maker Of Things
Reply
Like

Joined: 14 Dec 2017, 16:04

19 Dec 2017, 12:44 #4

m-o-t- wrote:
Lord Nelson wrote:
Gary Hirst wrote: Launched my sparrow 750 today in moderate wind and she sailed like a beaut. Weight all up 2.1kg, water line was perfect on bottom of bow and stern. Used claudio device to put camber in sails, jib and first seam of main at 6% worked great did top seam at 10% to much camber so it spoilt some wind going up wind, but was a blessing when tge wind got up. Thanks Bryn great plans and info book really enjoyed the build.
Hi Gary.
Looks good. So satisfying when it first gets wet and sails away perfectly. Will always remember my Sparrow's maiden voyage.
Cheers, Terry.
Well done Gary...All the possible problems throughout the build just disappear as she (him) sails away for the first time.
Hope to see more photos as you twig things.....

Like the cradle that you made,,, very home made,,,just like the boat
Well done, she looks good! You should post some close detail pictures?
Rod.
Reply
Like

racingSparrow
Site Admin
racingSparrow
Site Admin
Joined: 06 Sep 2012, 03:27

22 Dec 2017, 01:51 #5

Well done completing the project, always gives me the warm fuzzies when someone gets one sailing.

cheers, Bryn.
Reply
Like

Joined: 10 Oct 2017, 19:52

11 Jan 2018, 06:56 #6

racingSparrow wrote: Well done completing the project, always gives me the warm fuzzies when someone gets one sailing.

cheers, Bryn.
DSC04448.jpg
Some more photos of the sparrow on a river in Mosselbay
DSC04437.jpg
DSC04314.jpg
DSC04310.jpg
Reply
Like