Ashe
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team

June 17th, 2009, 12:37 pm #1

Should we move?

Total votes: 3
3(100%)
0(0%)

I have been thinking of switching the forum to another host, IPB. My reasons are simple really and are:
  • With IPB I could set a different skin to individual forums. Meaning the Resident Evil forums could be skinned with RE skins, the Friday the 13th boards could have their own themed skin etc. Plus skinning for Zetaboards is just so very long and complicated....
  • I have been having quite a few problems with the site loading certain pages. For no reason sometimes, the pages just disappear, or won't load.
  • Most of the modifications I've added here don't require me to find a code that will work properly, they offer most of those as options in the admin controls. So most codes would not be needed any longer.
  • With IPB I don't need to jump through hoops to get search engines to search the site, and index the pages. I can set them to do that in the admin controls. More entries in the search engines mean more members.
The only real downside to it is people would need to re-register there, but that wouldn't be too hard or even time consuming. So what do you guys think? Would you be willing to make the move? I won't do it if the members don't want to make the move...

Let the voting begin!!!

Spartan198
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team
Spartan198
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team

June 17th, 2009, 12:47 pm #2

Well, like I said in the c-box, one downside to moving is that the activity level might not pick back up. Think back to the Terror Box: It was very active until we moved it, then the activity never picked back up because the members never re-registered (though that's individual members' faults, not that of the move).

At the moment, I'm content to just follow with the majority, but I'll weigh the pros and cons and hopefully come to a decision on which way to go.

"Pain is fear and weakness leaving the body." ~ Special Forces

Ashe
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team
Ashe
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team

June 17th, 2009, 12:55 pm #3

Well only one or two from Terror Box didn't re-register here. Of those that did re-register, none has been active but you and me. None of the original members are active here, and really never were. Besides the skin advantages, the other real plus with switching is I could easily get it crawled by the search engine bots. Which is something I've never been able to achieve here.

Spartan198
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team
Spartan198
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team

June 17th, 2009, 1:00 pm #4

Okay, upon further consideration and comparing the pros and cons, I'm gonna vote to move.

Ashe
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team
Ashe
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team

June 17th, 2009, 1:02 pm #5

Fantastic!!

Spartan198
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team
Spartan198
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team

June 17th, 2009, 1:14 pm #6

And on a side note, I'm delaying the upcoming RP until this situation with the possible move is sorted out.

Leon Scott Kennedy
Foot Officer
Foot Officer

June 17th, 2009, 1:53 pm #7

I don't really care, I'll just re register.

But like Spartan said above, I just hope the activity remains the same on the other site or gets better.

Ashe
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team
Ashe
Stars Alpha Team
Stars Alpha Team

June 17th, 2009, 1:59 pm #8

I don't think it could get worse. :rofl: I've never been able to get the site with any of the search engines. Besides the skinning advantages, the search engine bots being able to be controlled through the site itself would make it much more likely to get many of the pages indexed, thus allowing us to reach more prospective members. :thankyou: