what are the odds of this, thebob? (url, crossforum)

mn
mn

2:05 AM - Oct 28, 2014 #1

http://www.network54.com/Forum/648955/m ... 414461583/

here%27s+a+project+i%27d+like+to+see+on+your+graphics+forum
(link should work without this part, included anyway since it's easier than copying the title)

mn
mn

2:19 AM - Oct 28, 2014 #2

pro·gram·mer noun ˈprō-ˌgra-mər, -grə-
: a person who creates computer programs

there's other stuff further down, which includes other instances or types of programming, but i hate this "i'm not really a programmer" nonsense. it's not like you invented it, and it's not just false modesty, i know you had a point, but if you're not a programmer that disqualifies too many programmers. it's time to squash that one.

if you mean "i'm not a REAL programmer(tm)," ok, i guess. i mean by some definition of "real programmer," none of us are. the only one i know is galleon. but i think one of basic's strengths is letting people who aren't "real programmers" become, well, programmers. and programmers "of a sort" are still programmers, and you are as much as we are. so unless your intention is to insult us (and i'm sure it's not,) stop being so freaking modest. it does no good at all

thanks,

menn

6:40 AM - Oct 28, 2014 #3

I suppose that compared to a lot of newbies, I would certainly qualify as a programmer. I have, in fact, written some things that not just anyone could write--for example, how many people could write a Solitaire game that actually works, graphics notwithstanding.

Okay, darn it! I accept that I am a programmer and can take my place among the lot of you with some degree of pride.

Thanks, menn!

-Bob

mn
mn

6:46 AM - Oct 28, 2014 #4

6:56 AM - Oct 28, 2014 #5

mn
mn

8:02 AM - Oct 28, 2014 #6

they have filters that turn images into ascii representations. you could have an interesting time converting ascii into graphics.

there are several ways you could do this. the easiest would be to create a "font" of blobs for characters that can be typed on the keyboard, then show a grid of blob characters instead of a legible text font. the blobs could be liney or blocky or round and blobby (shiny or shaded matte.)

perhaps better yet, the blobs could fit together seamlessly into shapes.

suppose i drew a circle-like figure using commas, periods, and apostrophes. either the graphics could turn this into some kind of line, or it could make each part into a 3d block or a shiny blob shaped slightly differently based on which character was used.

connecting things together would require a lot more programming, but if you were just going to replace text objects with images, you could switch between different styles (graphical fonts, block/blob/line) and/or colors, and using different characters (comma, apostrophe) would yield slightly different blobs.

rather than make this into some ultra-fancy graphical tool/filter, the concepts could be put together in a simple way, and the limitations would still allow lots of room to explore different input/output.

possibly it could even do cool things with random text. you should see what is possible with random printing of spaces, / and \ through a few difference of gaussians filters, plus aother forms of edge-detection. but this can be done without heavy algorithms and standard filter effects.

mn
mn

9:19 AM - Oct 28, 2014 #7

on the "bottom" of the screen is a large isometric plane. arrow keys change row and column. each section is roughly 22x22 pixels "square" (isometric, so really more of a diamond shape.) i say "roughly 22x22" because 16 or 20 could work, as could 28 or 32. but 22 seems about right for more squares + ample room for each.

i made a program once that laid out isometric cubes in a scheme like this. it plotted the "back row" (so far it would look like the "top") from right to left, then "forward" in "front" of itself for the next row, until it had a layer. then up, to draw the next layer on top the same way.

i never did make my voxel drawing program. instead i just had it plot all the cubes based on some output of tan() vs. the row and column or something. it made a really cool pattern of cubes.

you could do better than my little cube voxels. make each cube area a brick instead. you could have one that is tetrahedron shaped, one that is a sphere, one that is a longer rectangular solid oriented for each axis, you could even make ones that have more than one color. so long as they all fit in 22x22x22 or whatever standard you pick.

playing with this program might not be as cool as legos, but it would be way, way cooler than the variety of wooden blocks i had (and adored) before legos took over my childhood. bonus if there's no part of the screen that can't have a block filling it. though 30x30x30 is roughly the most array you'll get out of standard qb, unless you use files. if your block volume is 20 pixels high, that's L x 24 x W blocks on a 640x480 screen.

left-right keys for column change, up-down for row change, pgup-pgdn for layer change. enter or block-letter to place block, backspace or e to remove, any other letter could be assigned to a type of block. c could be a tetrahedron, v a toroid, b a cone, n a rectangular going east-west. you could even have three basic shapes and three rows of letter keys to change orientation and/or color.

as with the blobs program, you could start with a very simple version of this. if i really wanted to commission software i'd just commission software, but these are ideas that i'm sure you could program and they would benefit from your pixel skills. i think this one would yield you more fun than the ascii blobs idea, but who knows.

12:21 PM - Oct 28, 2014 #8

12:28 PM - Oct 28, 2014 #9

* Are you getting fat yet Bob?

12:36 PM - Oct 28, 2014 #10