* If God is a programmer and we are his programs, is Clippy just an annoying virus?

January 13th, 2018, 11:14 am #1

* If God is a programmer and we are his programs, is Clippy just an annoying virus?

January 13th, 2018, 4:01 pm #2

January 13th, 2018, 8:13 pm #3

What if we are all just programs. When we die, do we get re-compiled? I'm pretty sure all the evil ones just end up running in an endless loop on some broken down FreeBASIC server, but what about the rest of us?

Actually, I do have some seriousness concerning the topic of becoming computerized. I think Roddenberry already covered it well enough with his created character of Spock but I have seen signs of rejecting computer-like perfection in my own life. I like shooting hoops but I don't think I would bother if I knew I could calculate each shot perfectly so I would never miss. Same with golf and putting, swing mechanics, etc. I think that is why I like to get just good enough in a lot of things instead of trying to perfect any one given thing. Did you ever have any similar take on your hobbies of art and music?

Pete

January 13th, 2018, 9:00 pm #4

Art and music are a bit different than basketball and golf in that as skilled as you might get, whether playing a peace of music or painting a picture, the "creative" aspect is always new and challenging.

I think it's probably the same with sports. You may be able to ace baskets--nothing but net--in your driveway at home, but playing on a team against another team requires more than just those basic skills. With golf, there are endless factors to consider such as wind and weather--not to mention different golf courses. I doubt if you could practice to the point of shooting holes-in-one every time.

As for being re-compiled after we die, I'm pretty sure that if there is personal continuity beyond death, it's virus-free and works a lot better than Windows 10.

-Bob

January 13th, 2018, 9:17 pm #5

The point of not just having the skill, but where you take it. The interaction is different. The problem is I live in Southern California where there are only perfect days of 75 degrees and no wind, like it is again today. Doucheish sarcasm aside, I think I really don't appreciate the changing external factors. That's probably something that holds me back. I like perfecting something enough to get it to work well but I guess I just don't have the interest in applying it to non-constant situations. Well, at least I have no worries of ending up like Tiger Woods. He had one of the most perfect golf swings I've ever analyzed and could apply it in many different conditions but the pursuit of perfection drove him to a psychological breaking point.

By the way, did you see this on Bing news?https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h-m- ... SKBN1F20KK

Maybe it's just me, but that mannequin in the forefront of the photo looks a little too happy in the swimsuit section. I guess some "people" just enjoy a good beat-down.

Pete

January 13th, 2018, 10:36 pm #6

I had seen the "monkey" ad and the resultant backlash, but not that particular article.

That these things always turn to violence is of greater concern. Why not just point out the racist nature of the ad and then thank H&M for their retraction and apology? It would certainly go a long way to raising the image of a race to show them as mature and reasonable. To automatically resort to violence does more damage to their image than the ad ever could.

The Tiger Woods phenomenon raises another relevant point: there's more to a golfer than just golf. People are complex entities and it would be near impossible to perfect <em>that!</em> Perhaps that's what dying is a part of. We can always hope.

-Bob
Last edited by qb432l on January 13th, 2018, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.