Turns out I *can* read

Moderators: vegeta7913, SunDevil, vegeta7913, SunDevil

Turns out I *can* read

awful clever
Advanced Member
awful clever
Advanced Member

03 Jan 2015, 07:42 #1

So last year I had a personal goal to read more. Not just comics (which I still love, thanks guys!), but novels. I use to read all the time but in recent years (i.e. the last 10?) I just kind of stopped. I set a goal on Goodreads for 12 books in 2014, which was actually pretty ambitious. Jump to now, I ended up reading 35 in 2014 and more importantly I remembered how much I loved reading. Anyway, I'm not sure how much traction this will get, but I thought I'd share what I read last year and I'd welcome any suggestions anyone around here may have, maybe someone will find something off my list.

XBL:awful clever
Ewww! It's not a Jewel, it's a dirty old piece of crap.

prof_dresser
Advanced Member
prof_dresser
Advanced Member

03 Jan 2015, 18:45 #2

Awesome! Late in the year, I started doing the same thing! :D We got a subscription to The Economist and I decided I should actually try to stay abreast with current events. (erm... I am actually a month behind on the weekly magazine...) Plus we chose a non-fiction book, Justice for the extended reading book in my reading class, so I was feeling propelled. I finished a biography on Oppenheimer, American Prometheus, a few weeks back and just finished another biography about Alexandre Dumas (not the writer of The Count of Monte Cristo, but his father who fought in the French Revolution), The Black Count. Both rather good.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also read Neuromancer this year (I think... it was in the winter) and earlier this year I started reading the books of Jasper Fforde over again.

spaceVulture
Advanced Member
spaceVulture
Advanced Member

10 Jan 2015, 17:37 #3

This past year was probably one of my least productive for reading. I'm hoping to get better here this year. That being said,

Neuromancer is on my to read list. Somehow I've missed this one for too many years.

I also have The Champion, which is the newest book in Scott Sigler's GFL (or Blood Bowl in space) series. The rest of my stuff is miscellaneous loaded on the Kindle. I might actually get to some of them since I'm close to finishing school (again).

prof_dresser
Advanced Member
prof_dresser
Advanced Member

10 Jan 2015, 18:45 #4

I think I've got a copy of one of Seigler's books lying around here somewhere that Pauly (from :3DB:) loaned me, but I've never gotten around to it.

spaceVulture
Advanced Member
spaceVulture
Advanced Member

27 Jan 2015, 02:45 #5

I've read some Sigler, mostly his football novels, but also a couple of the Infection books. I can recommend the first one, but not really any after that.

I did get Neuromancer though, it's on deck and I'm going to have some hours here on Thursday. We'll see how far I get.

prof_dresser
Advanced Member
prof_dresser
Advanced Member

27 Jan 2015, 17:59 #6

I'm currently reading a translation of a modern Chinese novel, whose English title is Decoded, by Jia Mai. He's supposed to be pretty popular. It was recommended in The Economist's year-end recommendations and I teach writing to many Chinese students every semester, so I thought it would be enlightening to get an idea of how popular literature in China is structured and developed. It's certainly been eye-opening. It defies a lot of expectations that I think Western readers carry, and it can sometimes be frustrating because it's idea of development is so alien to me. But I'm starting to see the "method in the madness," and I'm certainly seeing similarities to things my students produce in their own writing.

Ostensibly, it's about a genius, yet autistic, code-breaker who works for a Chinese intelligence agency. It's billed as having spy thriller elements by its jacket, but I'm 92 pages in and it's very different from what I expected. I think there may just be a long wait in Chinese literature before getting to the juicy stuff. I have the feeling a change is coming in the next chapters.