Upcoming PRW Events
PRW Monthly Awards
Smark's Mark
Results for PRW House Shows and PPVs
E-Fed Knights Guide: "There Are Two Schools of Thought"

July 4th, 2011, 5:03 pm #2

Casey Jones Jr.
By Joey Jones

Second generation superstar: it’s a commonly used term in many professional sports and industries. So often the term unintentionally implies an under-equipped son or daughter of a living legend hoping to get by off of his father’s name. In this rare instance, it is just the opposite. With Casey Jones, Jr. you get all of the talent and so much more; coupled with a unique discipline that his father never had.

Before there was a Casey, Jr., of course, there was a Casey, Sr. Casey Jones got started in the professional wrestling circuit at the young age of 16. It would take several years before he gained national recognition, but he always managed to impress the crowd with his high-flying abilities in the ring. Every town he performed in he would find at least one groupie. That was until age 19 when I was forced to marry one after finding out that she was pregnant. Casey and Brianna Jones’ son, baring the same name as his father, was born in Pittsburgh, PA on April 14, 1992.

His parents’ relationship was rough for years, especially with Casey’s travel schedule being so intense and him rarely being home for longer than a day at a time. The couple divorced when Casey, Jr. was two years old. Casey, Jr. lived with her mother until age 11 when his mother was arrested on heroin possession charges. Though he had drug problems of his own, Casey, Sr. did have a stable enough home environment at the time and was awarded custody of his son. This was a theoretical arrangement, of course, as much of his teenage years Casey was raised by his uncle, Brian, rather than his father.

Even prior to moving to North Carolina to live with his father Casey was dominating the junior competitions in wrestling; often times beating people four or five years older than himself. This domination would continue well into his teenage years as he would win several regional and state championships in his age brackets, then finally as a senior in high school he placed 2nd in the state of North Carolina in the heavyweight division.

Part of the cause of his loss, however, could easily be attributed to the fact that at age 15 his focus had turned away from the amateur wrestling ranks and more toward training to become a professional wrestler. He began a rigorous training routine that often involved hours at the gym a day. As his training increased, his grades went on a downward spiral. Rather than dropout, he switched to home school and graduated early to further set the stage for his career as a professional athlete and entertainer.

Finally, just days after his 16th birthday he made his debut at an EWF house show teaming with his cousin, Gary Jones (The Gore Master). The two would go on a few months later to win the tag team championships, Casey’s first title in the industry. Less than six months later, they added the HWA Tag Team Championship to go along with it. They reined as the “unified champions” for the two promotions for nearly 18 months until a botched interference from his father cost them the HWA Titles. Days later they would vacate the EWF Titles as well as Casey had received an offer with a larger promotion that would force him to walk away from both HWA and EWF.

Casey made his debut with the PWA in December of 2010 against Raymond Thompson, one of the company’s great journeymen. He won this match with relative ease then followed it up with a win against a newcomer to the company but a legend with a rival promotion: Sean Aries. After two successful matches the PWA management team booked Casey in a match with soon-to-be Hall of Famer, Organon, in what many expected would be a dominating match for the legend. All the contrary, however, as Casey dominated Organon in that match and lost only due to the legend leveraging his feet against the ropes.

PWA knew after this contest that they were developing one of their stars of the future, but they still feared that possibility of Casey developing the same drug problems his father had dealt with for much of his time with the company. Rather than risk this happening, they took an unorthodox route of assigning Casey a practical stranger as a mentor: Thomas Driver.

For much of their early time together the two did not get along. On two such instances the two had travel by car to wrestling shows; often times Casey finding ways to make the trip as uncomfortable as possible for his mentor. Over time, however, their relationship improved and they were victorious in what has thus far been their only tag team match.

Despite management’s concerns they still selected the 19 year old as the captain of a Team PWA team to take part in a PRW-sanctioned tournament alongside Mike Malice and Jake Evanston. Casey led the team into the final round of the tournament before suffering a loss to the Canary Onslaught.

At the same time that Casey was leading Team PWA he was also competing as a single’s competitor. He won the Cyanide Championship on four occasions and fought a tough four-way match against three other up-and-coming PRW competitors in Patrick Slaughter, Travis Levitt, and Malik Logan but ultimately would be unsuccessful in winning the match.

His biggest triumph thus far came at PRW’s Superbattle when he and mentor Thomas Driver teamed up during the Superbattle Battle Royal and made it to the final two competitors in the ring; then ultimately Casey won the battle royal and a shot at Alex Leblanc for the PRW Championship.

Despite suffering a loss to Alex Leblanc and a loss to PWA Champion Jeff Holsten, Casey has still remained extremely steadfast in his goals for the future. He hopes to be the first person to simultaneously hold both the PWA and PRW Championships.

July 4th, 2011, 5:04 pm #3

July 10th - 20th - PRW Revolution PPV - Wells Fargo Center - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

July 21st - 31st - Mediolanum Forum - Milano, Lombardia, Italy

August 1st - 13th - Futurshow Station - Bologna, Emilia Romagna, Italy

August 14th - 24th - PRW Clash of the Titans VII PPV - Makeshift Arena - St. Peter's Square, Vatican City, Italy

August 25th - 31st - Civic Centre Arena - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

July 4th, 2011, 5:08 pm #4

Over the last month the PRW fans have voted via PRW.com about what their favourite promo and match of the month was.

Your winner for Match of the Month of June is Art McLellan vs. Chaos the Clown at Summerfest 2KXI

Your winner for Promo of the Month of June is "On the Eve of Summerfest" by Art McLellan

July 4th, 2011, 5:11 pm #5

Summerfest 2KXI Edition
by Ezekiel “The Smark” Armendez

Thank you so much for turning over to the glorious return of Ezekiel Armendez, the original PRW Magazine smark, and my new column Smark's Mark! With PRW magazine out of business these last few years, I haven’t had much to do but blog about how terrible all of their booking choices have been, while delighting in the rare successes. I am glad to return to my duties here, telling you what PRW is doing wrong, and why.

Being PRW’s biggest smark, I spend all day online, watching the entire independent scene, and because of my dedication, you won’t have to so much as head to Wikipedia for your information. Having just closed off my webcast of Summerfest, I have to say that the show exceeded expectations in a lot of places, but certain elements left a sour taste on my tongue and a lot to be desired. Here’s the good and the bad of Summerfest 2KXI!

First, a battery of promos opened the show, in typical PRW fashion of over-saturation. However, that’s as far as I can complain, because they were all great. First up was a heavy Matthew Logan vignette, apparently meant to revamp the character for the main event scene. With PRW’s floundering, shallow Uppercard right now, they need guys to run for the big belt, and the shout-outs to all the PRW mainstays who have been holding down the fort these days were a nice touch. If Logan brings this intensity to his matches, he’s going to get right back to where he started in terms of overness.

Immediately following that was a classic Art McLellan promo, hyping his match with Chaos later in the night. Art brought out all the same schtick that makes him one of the most interesting promo men in the business, between his dynamic use of scene and his cryptic, poetic verbiage. However, he’s toned it down a bit, really focusing more on telling a story than obfuscating it, and it seems to be working well for him. With how rushed the back-story for this match has been, with web videos thrown up days before, this was necessary, and necessity was the mother of invention for Art McLellan.

Finally, a continuation of an angle that I love: The Serial revamp angle. Prerana Rati simply oozes superiority, and she’s one of the most instantaneously easy-to-hate heel managers that I’ve seen in recent years. I don’t know where PRW found her, and I don’t care, because maybe she’ll get the Protested Hero over again and back in that main event scene! Tell me you don’t want to see Alex LeBlanc vs Matthew Logan or Alex LeBlanc vs Serial? PRW has to inject the charisma back into their top guys, but for once, they seem to be trying.

Match 1: Liger Carmesi (W) vs Johnny Awesome

I already talked about this match in the pre-mag, and how the booking decision was tantamount to a loud fart at the very beginning of the card. That said, while the match was mediocre, mediocre was better than we were expecting. Awesome was in top form, or as close as he can get, while Carmesi was strong in his debut. It became obvious that PRW was trying to cash in on him to hook newcomers from the Latin American market, as they presented the commentary primarily in Spanish. Big props on putting the right man over, at least, and with his Cyanide reign lengthening, Carmesi has it in him to go places here in PRW.

Immediately after the match, another promo came as Carmesi cleared the ring to allow Isabella Dell and Ivan Bison to enter. Hilariously, Dell announced her upcoming marriage to Awesome, who just got buried by a debuting star in the opening match. PRW seems to be trying so hard to get these three over, despite a lack of either charisma or talent, and it adds credibility to my theory that they are an elaborate joke. Furthering this was the likes of Malik Logan, Sean Aries, and Patrick Slaughter coming out to intermittently congratulate and mock the trio for their special day. This seems to be a running angle, but unfortunately, nobody really cares about it.

Match 2: El Diablo vs Du Chen (W)

Another match I covered in the Pre-mag, and while I wasn’t anticipating much more than a cookie-cutter match, I was half-right. The match itself was pretty good, and shockingly, the debuting Du Chen was impressive, dragging a sluggish, sandbagging El Diablo through a two-and-a-half star affair. PRW making the right choice to put over the Hometown Hero, and the kid displayed some natural charm and acumen. Diablo’s days in PRW have to be limited, though, after this lackluster performance. If PRW can keep pushing Du Chen, he’ll make a great fixture in the X-Division.

Next was a short shoot by Patrick Slaughter, pimping his upcoming match in the Trios Tournament Finals. He also offers a lead-in to the next match, where he takes on Tag Team Partner Takato Kazama. As for that…

Match 3: Patrick Slaughter (W) vs Takato Kazama

This match was both a mis-match and a no-brainer, and I don’t understand what PRW was thinking here. Two starkly different weight classes, two guys with no heat against one another, and for some reason, PRW are trying to turn Slaughter into Bob Sapp when we aren’t even in Japan. However, the two workers treated it with equanimity, and put on a respectable match to keep the card going steady. PRW has managed to get three whole matches in without booking a dud in the ring, and that’s a miracle in-and-of-itself. I just wish they could have used Onslaught in a productive way…like maybe in a tag team title match?

Match 4: Matthew Logan vs Serial (W)

It’s entirely possible to be both baffled by a booking decision and excited for it: This is proof. The fourth match on a stacked card is one with the potential to steal away match of the night, with two top-tier guys in a complete throwaway. But, Logan and Serial would never deign to disappoint, and they didn’t. I see what PRW is doing here, though: this both adds credibility to Logan’s resurgence angle, in that his relevance has dropped so far, and it works into the “PRW hates Serial” angle. My criticisms end there: while neither man was at their absolute best, this was a stunning match, putting to rest any doubts that these vets have lost it in their hiatus. Okay, one more criticism: Only one of them could win this affair, and that’s the Catch-22 in the booking. I would say Logan probably should have been booked to go over, as his angle was more hurt by losing than Serial’s would’ve been. Still, PRW put on a great contest here, so I shant protest.

Match 5: Ace Andrews (W) vs Zangetsu

This angle has been slowly bubbling away for the past few months, in the wake of Hutton Brown defecting to XWA over what I can only assume were contractual issues. There hasn’t been much leaked as to the reasoning, but PRW certainly let him go out with a bang, becoming the only 5-time Undisputed Champion. Ever since, they’ve been pushing Ace against Zangetsu, and Ace has played a great heel, showing that PRW can still pick up promising prospects. The match itself was great, full of tension, and a good, if contrived shock ending put Ace over the monster. There’s no way that this isn’t pushing to an eventual Ace Andrews Undisputed Championship shot. You don’t just put guys over Zang’ all willy-nilly. Don’t let us down, PRW, make it an angle to remember.

Match 6: Joey NOX (W) vs Robert Heist

So, five; that’s the new record for how many matches PRW can go without having an absolute dud of a contest. I should immediately mention that it had nothing to do with NOX: You could have seen this as a try-out match of sorts for Heist, who hadn’t been treated well backstage or by the bookers thus far, but the seasoned ring veteran simply looked like he didn’t give a damn out there. This match could’ve had a lot of potential, and could have gotten stock for both men, but instead NOX had to carry the Con Man through a mercifully short affair.

Match 7: Travis Levitt © (W) vs Malik Logan

Levitt and Logan played this angle cool, while promising that the loser would go to the Undisputed Championship division, which is great, because the big belt needs an injection of opponents for the hot-as-hell Alex LeBlanc. That said, the two put on a fairly chilly cage match, as well. It seemed as if Logan wasn’t up to speed, and while Levitt managed to carry the match, both men really coasted through. Hopefully we’ll see bigger things for Levitt in the future, as he has big boots to fill after taking the title on the heels of what is arguably the greatest reign ever, via Chaos the Clown.

Speaking of Chaos von Claun, he had a sizzling shoot promo done in the style of Art McLellan before heading out to his match. I have to say, with the effort PRW is putting into this feud, and it’s come out of nowhere, I think it’s safe to say that whatever the result of the next match, this isn’t over, and that’s good. Both men are bringing their best on the stick and in the ring.

Match 8: Chaos the Clown vs Art McLellan (W)

What a bloody roller coaster of a match. Everything both men did looked brutal, but they must have had some kind of trick up their sleeves, because this match is almost oppressively long. This may be the longest match I’ve seen in PRW; it reaches the length of some puroresu epics, but I think that’s what these guys were trying to emulate. Any doubts about Art’s talent in his Silver Years have been laid to rest, and booking-wise, this is a great transitional match for what’s shaping up to be a career-defining feud for Chaos the Clown. This match also takes my personal award for the strangest, most creative dusty finish I’ve ever seen, and the fact that it didn’t cheapen the match at all is a testament to the psychology that Art and Chaos cling to as the most important part of their skillset.

Immediately after, Art cut a penultimate promo that blew open the feud, but I refuse to spoil it for those of you who didn’t pick up the PPV. This is a challenging angle, just like Art always seems to pull out of his ass, almost daring the fans to find which partiality they’re supposed to go with. This is less an angle and more a story, and I don’t know who I’m cheering for anymore. Whether you like that or not is a matter of preference.

Next was a hype promo for PWA star Jake Evanston, who has been embroiled in a feud with our own rising star, Canary Kid. It seems odd to devote promo slots with sympathetic tones to guys we’re supposed to hate on principle, but maybe this is a sign that we’re seeing some more significant talent transfer from PWA? Evanston is another hot young prospect, and PRW is never above taking those on. Besides, he’s got some mic skills, so while what he’s talking about is lost on most of our audience, here’s hoping to some crossover buys from PWA.

Match 9: Canary Onslaught (W) vs Team PWA – Trios Tournament Finals

Speaking of PWA, the finals of the Three Ring Circus came up next. Huge shocker in this match, with Thomas Driver subbing in for the injured Mike Malice. I didn’t see this coming at all, and it was a great idea, injecting a seasoned ring vet like Driver into a match with many relative newcomers. Class act by Kevin Murphy to wrestle one last match despite his retirement, but he really powder-puffed it. That said, this was a sleeper as one of the most exciting matches on the card, and while everyone thought days before that Team PWA would take it, PRW pulled a shocker and booked the thrown-together team over the invaders! Jake Evanston was all over this match, hopefully meaning that PRW is looking to put him over here as a legitimate roster member. Between his dominance for Team PWA, his near-kickout in the surprise ending, and the promo slot they gave him, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw more of him, and that’s fine, since he’s a good talent. I don’t understand while PRW devalued a great invasion angle, especially since former rival PWA has been great in working alongside them, but I like that the rings came home to the fed who had them minted. I think a lot of fans were satisfied with this one, right or wrong.

Suddenly, we went backstage with a promo from Sean Aries, tearing into Devlin Rok to continue their feud. Aries didn’t have much to say, and the man has always had spotty mic-work overall. He really needs a colorful storyline to play off of to shine; he couldn’t do much with Devlin’s straight-laced heel style. That said, it still gave the match enough heat to get underway.

Match 10: Devlin Rok vs Sean Aries

PRW booked a fairly standard grudge match, but they threw two of their most notable upper-midcard talents at us, so I was excited. They are two guys who definitely have trouble breaking that glass ceiling, even though Aries himself has held the Undisputed. The two didn’t put on their best match, but it was a great match nonetheless. Both men brought it, and the ending spot was great, with Devlin getting the dusty finish. This is a win that will get Devlin over as a heel, and can lend credibility to a future shot at Travis Levitt. That would be a good storyline and a great match, so this is a great choice for the PRW booking committee in terms of a transitional feeding match.

Match 11: Violence, Party of 3 (W) vs Thomas Driver

PRW has perhaps the most hit-or-miss tag division in the wrestling world. One month, it’ll be phenomenal, and the next it’ll be garbage. I wasn’t surprised to hear of Rated X’s contract dispute and departure, and it was sad, because those two really outclassed most of PRW’s tag division. That said, just while the division was trying to heat up and redefine itself, DGX and Alex Sean were absolutely abhorrent at actually putting another team over. There were many teams who could have, should have been booked against the vivacious vixens of VPo3, but instead, a handicap with Driver? Furthering the “PRW hates Driver” angle is one thing, but this devalues the belt. That said, this match wasn’t as bad as I would’ve thought. Driver is good, even at his worst, but he was at his worst and the plucky young women really carried him. Hawke and Wrath, however, were gutsy as hell, literally challenging the Chinese audience and putting on a good match in the progress. Obviously, they came out on top, and if PRW wants a new face for the division, VPo3 is one of the best choices they could make. My only worry is that other men in the division, much like Driver, will have trouble working with an all-female team.

Match 12: Alex LeBlanc © (W) vs Casey Jones Jr.

One of the better matches on the whole card. The PRW vs PWA angle has been hot ever since Superbattle, where Jones shocked everyone by picking up the win. Alex has done everything he can to sell the match, with vignettes and shoots all over PRW TV and the web, and even Jones has reciprocated, showing that PWA guys have some mic chops as well. This match was brutal throughout, both men really laying it on the line to prove that they deserved to be at the top of this historic card. Jones especially took some huge bumps in this losing affair, really proving that he isn’t just sleeping in his daddy’s shadow. Nobody doubted that LeBlanc would take it, but right after, PWA came in for the beat-down to show their supremacy at the end of the card. Considering they jobbed both the marquee matches on the card, this was really necessary to keep the angle going. Overall, it’s good to see LeBlanc get a guy who’s willing to work through the kind of brutal, fast-paced slugfest that he loves to put on, and this’ll give the champ momentum going into next month.

Overall, this is one of the best PRW cards we’ve ever seen, start to finish. Some great matches, some great angles, and in true Summerfest tradition, there is more left to be answered than was answered, paving the way for another Summer of PRW leading up to Clash, the #2 show of the year. While there were some weak spots, it’s nothing like the PRW of old, where every second match was a throwaway. If you’re reading this, and not watching PRW, what the hell is wrong with you? This is the Smark, signing off, and I’ll see you next month!

July 4th, 2011, 5:20 pm #6

May 30, 2011 - June 4th, 2011

SUMMERFEST 2KXI:
Alex LeBlanc def. Casey Jones Jr. to retain the Undisputed Championship
Violence, Party of 3 def. Thomas Driver to win the Tag Team Championships
Devlin Rok def. Sean Aries
The Canary Onslaught def. Team PWA to win the Three Ring Circus Tournament
Art McLellan def. Chaos the Clown
Travis Levitt def. Malik Logan to retain the X-Division Championship
Joey Nox def. Rob Heist
Ace Andrews def. Zangetsu
Serial def. Matthew Logan
Patrick Slaughter def. Takato Kazama
Du Chen def. El Diablo
Liger Carmesi def. Johnny Awesome

On PRW 24/7:
Canary Kid def. Jake Evanston

CYANIDE RECAP:
Liger Carmesi
Patrick Slaughter [6]

July 4th, 2011, 5:21 pm #7

“There Are Two Schools of Thought You Can Subscribe To
Shame They're Both WRONG!”

By Cliff Imig (Excallicliff)

Our affiliation with the E-Fed Knights have allowed us to explore a wider range of e-fed communities. Within EFK, they have a guide with comprehensive articles on everything you need to know about e-fedding. With their permission, we will bring you one article per magazine that we feel could benefit you, the members. Enjoy.

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and start off with a few basic principles of what I think are concrete when it comes to creating a proper RP -- at least, in my mind. Now, these next words are rather vital to understand when approaching my mindset:

"Every RP is a promo. If it's not a promo, then it's a complete waste of time."

A promo and "trash talk" are NOT the same thing. Promos can contain trash talk almost entirely, or contain none. Selling isn't spelling it out, it's accurately portraying your character's natural reaction, thoughts, and opinions. It's also about making your reader excited about your match. Sometimes, this can be done in more subtle ways than your character going, “Argh! Grr! I wanna kick your gay, retarded, homo ass so hard because you fucked my sister!”

Every promo should contain a measure of character development, and should progressively move your character in a particulary direction over time. Furthermore, there is no such thing as a strictly "character development" RP. Character development can easily be done through trash talk, as it can be done through your character's daily life.

An RP's only real purpose is to bring your character from the point where the last show ends, to the point he or she needs to be to where the next show begins. If it fails to do that, then it fails as an RP.

Feasibility is usually a key value in proper RP'ing, as well. I personally am not the one to prescribe to the “anything goes” philosophy. I hate characters that shoot lightning bolts and fly. Yet, however, believability and realism are completely different cases. Believability is entirely subjective, I believe. I think that generally, believability is important, but only by the rules of the universe you create and establish. As for realism, who the hell thinks reality is exciting? 99% of television and movies is entirely unrealistic! Even stories based on true stories are rewritten in order to fit more exciting narrative (i.e., Scorsese films). Read the differences from "Goodfellas" and the novel it's based on, for reference. So, realism is not important at all, least in my book.

Finally, and perhaps, most importantly: context is key. This rule can virtually overwrite any other rule. It's the rule that can crack concrete rules. Context is seriously a concept that, in all factors of life, defines everything (and that's not intended to be some poetic hyperbole). Context illustrates that you need to have the ability to discern for yourself. Packaging, explaining, or labeling that ability is literally impossible. However, it's vital to have, and crucial that we all get a somewhat shared perspective of this as writers. It's certainly a strange paradox to have rules, then write a rule that states “decide for yourself”. However, I think the guidelines listed above, a majority of the time, help me personally in achieving proper context.

With that said, I sometimes pull my hair out at the restrictiveness, or oppositely lack thereof, when it comes to most mindsets. There's no reason why any style of RP should ever be alienated or not fairly judged against others. There's no reason why they can't be treated as equals.

These two school of thoughts can somewhat be described as the following: Now, I don't believe anybody fully believes either of these. They are exaggerated to make a point, but I think they are points that needs to be made:

A) If an RP is not written in a technically complex, novelistic format, and is based more off a wrestler describing his opinions of a match in dialogue then absorbing the reader, it is a bad piece of writing, and, therefore, a shitty RP. RP's need to be judged on an author's ability to write.

B) If an RP does not contain a trash talk section, and doesn't have a character specifically spell out what he feels about his opponents entirely in dialogue, or refuses to reflect every single miniscule detail of what happens on the results in dialog, it is not selling. This RP should not be considered equal to trash talk RPs because they are not wrestling.

Both of these schools of thought are entirely wrong in their extremes.

The first school of thought, results of RP's not being judged on content and relevance, but rather the “technical skill” of the writer, is wrong. Good writing is NOT about excessive adjectives in your scene setting. If you can set a scene very well to make it “imagined,” it doesn't make you a good writer. Anybody can sit down with a thesaurus and do that. It's a nice skill to have but there's more to the game than that.

EVERYONE can spend thirty minutes describing a detailed portrait above the mantle in a manor. Details are important, but flow is essential. Yet, it simply becomes redundant when you go too far with it. I appreciate people who attempt "high-level" writing, but it's important to see past it. It shouldn't matter if the details are laid out to you in such a luscious, deep manner that you can smell the dust in a cavern. Alternatively, to just say something is a “dusty cavern” is bland and uninteresting. Unless you're doing a script format, which is built on dialogue progression, there's no reason to describe things so dismissively. Finding a balance between the two is key, and is what keeps RP's exciting and engaging.

Then again, I find the scriptwriting form bares merits of its own. So, even limited description can work as long as the dialog is compelling enough to actually carry it through. Point is, as long as the point gets across, you can do anything.

Anyway, my rule of thumb is this: you can fairly describe an entire setting in one paragraph, one that's no longer than the length of this paragraph. I'm speaking of an entire room, not just the table in the center, in a way people can imagine, yet not feel inundated with unnecessary details.

The inability to distinguish padding hurts this game immensely sometimes. I think every single section of an RP should have a purpose. A lot of people criticize RP'ers who like to do things like describe their lunch habits in excess. I agree largely with this, but that doesn't mean your character can't say what he or she is having for lunch. I mean, a wrestler is a human, and they eat lunch. In fact, sometimes, when eating lunch, thoughts of what happened in the ring a few days ago casually enter his or her mind. Make those thoughts have a purpose. Make the way the lunch is being prepared, or eaten, reflect on the mindset of the character.

Also, everything the character does could plausibly be on camera. Sometimes, a wrestler will prepare his or her lunch a certain way as to be symbolic. Why not? Your wrestler has access to cameras. This, like every RP, is a promo, and trying to send a message. Details like this can enhance the experience if they are properly handled. This is television, not reality. Who's to say any different?

Every RP should have a logical beginning, middle, and end. This is a personal gripe of mine but I do not get why people like to write fifteen stories in one RP. I used to do this, but feel myself leaning against it so much. It's very much a personal frustration of mine to read an RP where the character is riding in the car, humming to the writer's personal favorite Bee Gees song, and then inexplicably appear in the ring to do a promo that has nothing at all to do with that segment. Either that, or begin a story arc in the beginning of an RP where your character's dog has died, and then in the middle doing the doggy funeral where he or she is crying, and then going later and starting a completely different story arc where he or she gets in a fight with an Eskimo over his hording of the warmest igloo. There's no reason why you can't integrate your character's opinions in an RP while telling a story where the beginning relates to the end, and everything in the middle is carrying it from one point to another. The first school of thought sometimes appears to favor a lot of this type of writing because it resembles a short story more. I'm a big believer in complexity but, honestly, complexity can only be properly applied with FOCUS.

I believe it is not good to allow that level of redundancy, and if you write either three segments that say the same thing or fifteen segments that are barely related, you need to start looking at your RP, and cull it down a little. I have been very VERY guilty of this style of RP in the past. My insane obsessiveness with my work has probably been my biggest stumbling block. You don't need to cram in every single thought about your character into every single RP out of context. If you can integrate some need factoids in for spice, go for it, but don't let it dominate what you're trying to do. Furthermore, NEVER let it control the narrative.

Being a good writer is avoiding padding, and being a good reader is distinguishing what is padding, and what isn't. With that said, I don't believe in “less is more” at all. Personally I believe there's an exact certain amount you need to have, and if anybody could match it directly the game would be over. The game will never end, however, because the ultimate formula is very insanely difficult, if not impossible, to find. If you find it, or get as feasibly close as possible, write a novel, and give me a cut of the cash! This, of course, is a statement that ironically proves I don't believe in less is more. Some adherence needs to be spent on finding that amount, however, since it's a major portion of the craft.

Anyway, it's one of those statements like KISS. They say ,“Keep it simple, stupid!” Well, just take into fact that the acronym came from the singer of one of the most idiotic, overrated bands of all time to describe said idiotic and overrated band (ZIONIST CONSPIRACY TO DUMBIFY CHRISTIAN CHILDREN!). I say go as complex as you can, but know your limits, and let your experience dictate your comfort level.

Now, onto school of thought, number two. The people who believe “If it ain't wrasslin', it ain't this game!'”. The biggest problem I have with this group is, "What is wrestling?" It's a faked athletic contest, right? Boxing is an athletic contest and I've never seen an undead boxer attempt to bury another boxer in a casket. The "Undertaker defense" is all I have to say. Nobody can say the Undertaker isn't wrestling, he's one of the most popular characters around. Furthermore, he's completely unrealistic -- and stupid.

Take for example, his best incarnation: mid-'90s, pre-Ministry Undertaker. He was supposed to be a dark evil force that created retribution on those who truly deserved it. His first target... MEN IN TIGHTS WHO FIGHT OVER GIANT BELTS! I mean, this guy had his veritable pick of the litter: it could have been pedophiles, serial killers, or cruel, renegade warlords creating third world wars with child soldiers. But no, he chose to bring his supernatural, super-phenomenal justice straight to the ring, goddamnit!

Take a second to think of that, and how silly it is. Now, take a second to think, “Why the did that work so well?”. It breaks every single purist's heart to realize there's no logical explanation to why the Undertaker was a wrestler at all, and why he cared about title belts. Now, I don't believe in a game that relies on more context and less show than it's real life equivalent needs to have no explanation of what's going on. It's bad practice for your character to have no motivation to fight. However, there's no reason that in order to be wrestling, your character needs to talk about win/loss records and titles all the time. I mean, this game is based on a show that oft resembles a kids cartoon more than it resembles Hemingway.

That's what I don't get about this school of thought. Why is it so unrealistic a character can be of- the-wall, or not be entirely wrestling-based? I don't like it when nobody is “just a wrassler”. I think there needs to be a large portion of characters who retain realistic personalities, and portray themselves as athletes. Yet, obviously, not everyone. However, there has to be a little flavor, a little variety.

However, I think that sometimes people tend to think RP's are more complete if said wrestler simply says what he thinks is going on in his opinion and covers every detail, rather than just somebody who collects a few vital details then uses their own unique aspects to spice it up. It's more realistic to have a character simply have it all on his mind and have the most important pieces stick out. As long as you could imagine it from the character's perspective, it's good selling. In essence, the amount of selling is not an indication of the quality of selling.

Problem is, people get into the mindset that this is all just what's on TV. It's wrestling. It's about what your character says on the mic, and often it makes people want to read past most the content, and just skim through the dialogue, which completely inhibits people who want to try the “lunch philosophy” stated earlier and give depth through more subtle means. Comparing the two and favoring the guy on the mic just because it's “more wrestling” is ridiculous. Both are equally as valid, and the message they got across is important. They should be compared equally, really, just as long as they BOTH adhere to the results previous.

Between these two schools, for the life of me, I don't get why a lot of people tend to lean so strongly one way or another. It's the eclectic mix of both which makes this game great. Beyond its wrestling base, this game has evolved a lot of elements from comic books, sitcoms, and even serious dramas into it. It's become more than just based off Vinny Mac's little traveling soap opera carnival. It's become a place where writers can hone their craft against other writers, like many RP games except with a very unique competitive element in place so we can get better against each other.

Honestly, if there was more communication between those on both fronts simply over their creative philosophies, then the game would be much better -- maybe even more understanding. Barney Green jokes are funny, I admit. However, I honestly wish we'd spend little less time on stuff like that, and a little more time in sharing material and ideas. I don't mean to preach, but there's way too little discussion now-a-days on the creative end of the game, the heart and soul of what this is about. I'm hoping to bring that back.

Because through it, and through our obsession with categorizing what “A” type of RP is and what “B” type of RP is, a lot of people seem to be gradually caring less to examine RP's with scrutiny. This is not good. This is harmful, and it entirely hinders the progression of the game.

That's why I believe we have two schools rather than one unified philosophy. Lack of communication over RP's has kept people locked in certain mindsets. From those mindsets, I believe has created an undercurrent of tribalism. It was always there, but for some reason it bothers me a little. I believe everyone has their own way of thinking, yet I do believe shared thought is necessary for us to all help carve that way of thinking to it's utmost of proper detail.

That's why I felt compelled to write this article. I want to promote more RP discussion, and I want to promote more creative back-and-forth. I want to promote more speaking of the psychology of feuds, storytelling, and get a general sense of a stronger more writing conscious community. I want us to regain our focus to what this game is. It's a niche writing game between an entire planet of people who all at one point in their lives shared a love for the most ridiculous traveling sideshow in the world.

With people either becoming to worried about losing their legitimacy as writers, and people so petrified we'll forget this is a wrestling game, we've lost focus on the point of the game just a tad. BOTH goals can be met if we can invest a little more time on what's important.

I know not all of you agree with me on every point, but that's good. I like that. If you feel the need to discuss with me on any point. Agree, disagree, expand, or rephrase, I don't mind. As long as we keep the discussion going, and keep RP'ing on our minds. DON'T be afraid to share your opinions, uncensored. We have a strong community here. We're big boys and girls. We can take it. As long as they're presented with an honest productive intent. Furthermor, I'd also like to encourage people to write articles of their own on topics as this. Since, I believe, it's the heart of the game, and should be our main focus.

On a final note, God... that somehow turned into a thesis. I won't get into how long it took me to write it. I'm off.

Have a good night, enjoy RP'ing.

July 4th, 2011, 5:24 pm #8

Wiz Black and Khalifa Yellow here at the PRW Magazine Offices. What a great Summerfest we just had and Revolution is looking to be rising to the same heights.

Once again, if anyone has any ideas they want to bring up or write themselves then please PM an Admin or Moderator about it and I'm sure we can accomadate for you.

Thank you once again to everyone that helped out with putting this magazine together. For the time and effort they put in I want to thank:

DarkSabre
Chaos the Clown
The Inquisition
Heavy Metal Hero

From your editors,
Black and Yellow