Tournament

reduno
Senior

May 22nd, 2018, 4:06 pm #1

Do we have any chance against SHU tomorrow? As usual, all the talk in the paper is about LSU.

NSPRIVATEER
Senior

May 22nd, 2018, 4:11 pm #2

Tough draw but I would not count this team out of any game. I don't think we have a chance to go deep into the tournament but I wouldn't be stunned to see them pull an upset. It appears to me that Coach Dean has an uncanny ability to keep his team together no matter how bad things get during the season. No panic from him or his team. Go Bucs!

MidCityBuc
Junior

May 22nd, 2018, 6:15 pm #3

When Brian Warzek is on the mound, the Privateers have a chance against anyone. I'm not sure who SHSU is starting, but he will certainly not be to the level of Warzek. My guess would be that it will be Wesneski. He is not a strikeout guy and has given up some power numbers, but he pitches in front of one of the better defenses in the conference. Bryan should do well minimizing the heart of the Bearkat order as he is very good pitching away from power. SHSU relies heavily on slugging and avoiding slugging is one of Warzek's great strengths. It could be a very low scoring game. UNO will have to score early and hold on late to win the game. SHSU has a better bullpen while UNO realistically only has two reliable 'pen arms with a couple of guys who are hit or miss. I like this draw better than Southeastern. SHSU is more conservative on the base paths, but they will try to steal bags against the second worst defense in the conference against the steal. Warzek will have to limit the walks and find a way to pitch deep into this game even with the high pitch count his strikeout style demands.

UNOPrivatr
Senior

May 22nd, 2018, 9:20 pm #4

Is there official word that we're starting Warzek? He would be pitching on three days rest. If we're going to win the tournament, our best chance would be using someone else against Sam, then having Warzek for game two to try and put us in the drivers seat. It would be an upset to beat Sam even with Warzek, especially on short rest. I'd say start Smith or Stephens and hope for the best.

MidCityBuc
Junior

May 22nd, 2018, 9:50 pm #5

Yup. It is John Michael Stevens. I am decidedly less optimistic. I had forgotten that Bryan didn't start game 1 against NSWU.

Unofan
Senior
Unofan
Senior

May 23rd, 2018, 7:29 am #6

John Michael Stephens has thrown some impressive games for us this season. He’s beaten SLU, South Alabama and Texas, all on the road. But he’s also gotten bombed. We’ll see who shows up.

Steve
Senior

May 23rd, 2018, 12:35 pm #7

MidCityBuc wrote:I'm not sure who SHSU is starting, but he will certainly not be to the level of Warzek. My guess would be that it will be Wesneski. He is not a strikeout guy and has given up some power numbers, but he pitches in front of one of the better defenses in the conference.
Dunno if that's who they start but that sounds like a great matchup for the Bearkats against a singles-hitting team like UNO.

But, as stated, if you get good John Michael Stephens, you never know. I'm kind of okay with it -- we have long odds in game one, but if you somehow do it, you're probably the favorite to go 2-0 and into the comfy winner's bracket with Warzek against a still-good-but-not-as-good opponent (who will be throwing their second best guy) tomorrow.

So, let's take our long shot today and see what happens. It is baseball, after all.

reduno
Senior

May 23rd, 2018, 2:19 pm #8

Steve wrote:
MidCityBuc wrote: So, let's take our long shot today and see what happens. It is baseball, after all.
Yep, just ask Tulane. I bet Houston didn't see that coming so why not us?

Unofan
Senior
Unofan
Senior

May 23rd, 2018, 8:58 pm #9

Tulane was cruising today against ECU. Then, ECU scored 5 runs in the top of the 8th and won 6-5. Baseball can be a cruel game. It’s never over, till it’s over.

reduno
Senior

May 23rd, 2018, 9:35 pm #10

Looks like the UNO game is running late. I'll miss listening tonite so hopefully I can get some scores on the website.

GO BUCS!