YOU'RE FIRED! Letter to that %$#@ (S)OB

YOU'RE FIRED! Letter to that %$#@ (S)OB

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

May 16th, 2011, 8:13 pm #1

I'll post about my new OB separately but if anyone wants a "laugh" here is the letter I faxed over (and also mailed) to my former OB earlier this morning. (It's a copy and paste from Word so the formatting may be a little screwy.

This letter serves as notice that I am discontinuing my relationship with you as my OB/GYN.

At my last scheduled visit on Tuesday, May 10, I asked you several routine questions about pregnancy. One of those questions was regarding how late in the pregnancy I could travel. Instead of responding with the answer, you went on to tell me that you couldnt recommend that I travel at all because I am so paranoid that youd be afraid that Id have concern about the cabin air let alone the travelling itself. You even went so far as to state that Im "so paranoid", youre surprised I even leave the house. Trying my best to show some restraint in spite of your outright rudeness, I responded that if I was paranoid why was I the one who specifically requested to be able to travel to Europe when I was barely 7 weeks?

This is just one of many instances where your bedside manner has been severely lacking. Most notably, the most insulting instance was on my very first pre-natal visit when I was 5 weeks and 6 days. Do you realize that you never even had the courtesy of neither introducing yourself to my husband upon entering the exam room nor even saying congratulations to either of us? Instead, you instilled "paranoia" in both of us when you came into the room proclaiming that a fetal heartbeat should have been seen by the local radiology center that had done my ultrasound a couple of days earlier. Rather than waiting to express any opinions on the presence or lack of a heartbeat until doing your own ultrasound, you walked out of the room. If my husband and I had any reason to be paranoid at that point, it was of your doing!

You have been my doctor since October 2005. In case you do not recall, the reason I became your patient is because Dr. XXXX had stopped delivering babies. I wanted to start a relationship right away with a new OB/GYN; one who would deliver what I hoped would be an easily-conceived baby. Instead my husband and I have struggled with trying to conceive a child for many years. You know this because you were the one who referred me to a Reproductive Endocrinologist. And of course, you also were the one who delivered to me the news that I had an early miscarriage in January 2009. I even scheduled a specific visit with you in August 2009 to discuss the fact that the RE I was seeking treatment with wanted to proceed with a laparoscopy prior to starting IVF treatment. Since that time I have had conversations with you about my infertility treatments during my scheduled check-ups. As recently as this past November, when I saw you for my pap exam, I expressed to you how my husband and I were doing our last (#9) round of IVF and if not successful we would likely be moving on to donor egg. We even discussed the relevance of genetic testing when using a donor.

So when I landed on your doorstep in late January with the news that I had conceived naturally, after such an exhausting battle, the least I expected was a congratulations. I was obviously foolish enough to think that you could even acknowledge how monumental this pregnancy is for us.

Since that first pre-natal visit all you have done, visit over visit, is insult and/or upset me with rude dialogue. When I asked you what the baby's heart rate was at a check-up, you huffed and asked if I needed to know. YES, I not only need but also deserve to know! This is my body, my baby and my care and I deserve and am entitled to have every question I ask answered. When I showed you a rash I had developed in my groin and belly area and asked if it was PUPPP, you said it was not and that I should go back to the Google page where I read up on it. And let's not even get into all the fear you attempted to instill in me because my Reproductive Endocrinologist is treating me for low progesterone. These are just several of many examples of your rudeness.

I have never called your office with any frivolous or paranoid questions. I have never requested any non-scheduled visits "just because". The only time I called your office "out of turn" was recently when I thought I might have a vaginal infection. So for you to call me paranoid is an outright insult.

If I was in fact paranoid it would actually be legitimate considering that I've never even received a pre-natal information package from your office with indications of foods to avoid, symptoms to be concerned about, or general pregnancy information. You never even inquired if I was on pre-natal vitamins! If it wasnt for the early care I received from my Reproductive Endocrinologist, in addition to pregnancy pearls of wisdom from both friends and Dr. Google, Id be eating sushi, soaking in hot tubs and running marathons.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime pregnancy that I have been blessed with. While all I can require of you is adequate pre-natal care, I dont have to take it at the expense of insults. And most especially not when I pay nearly $1,000 a month in medical insurance.

Please send my medical records to my home address on file.

Disappointed,

Lea
Lea

May 16th, 2011, 8:23 pm #2

Love it! I have no idea how you lasted that long with him.

May 16th, 2011, 8:29 pm #3

Good for you! The TTC journey is one thing, getting pregnant with a healthy baby another and then there is the actual delivery of this precious baby into this world which is really the most important thing at the end of a pregnancy. You would want the best doc doing that!

kudos to you for giving it back.

gisg

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

May 16th, 2011, 8:34 pm #4

Love it! I have no idea how you lasted that long with him.
you'd really be wondering that!!! I don't take cr@p from people but I guess I was just vulnerable. That plus the fact that I'd never seen this side of him! He'd been my GYN for years and I never knew him to be such a jerk! It's like he had one personality as a GYN and another as an OB. I'm so glad DH went with me on most of the visits because he could witness for himself what a jerk he was.

The fact is that I had been considering firing him for a long while now but I had this concern over continuity of care. Until I actually met with the new OB, I didn't realize just how EASY it is to move OBs!! I could kick myself for not doing it sooner! It's not a big deal AT ALL. In fact my new OB told me he'd had a woman the prior week who was 39 weeks and switched to him and ended up delivering the very next day. I guess it happens!

Although I must say it wasn't easy finding a new OB that took my insurance plus delivered at a totally different hospital. The different hospital thing was important to me since I didn't want take a chance on staying with the old hospital and possibly be stuck with having the old OB be the OB on call the day of my delivery!

sch1star
sch1star

May 16th, 2011, 8:39 pm #5

I'll post about my new OB separately but if anyone wants a "laugh" here is the letter I faxed over (and also mailed) to my former OB earlier this morning. (It's a copy and paste from Word so the formatting may be a little screwy.

This letter serves as notice that I am discontinuing my relationship with you as my OB/GYN.

At my last scheduled visit on Tuesday, May 10, I asked you several routine questions about pregnancy. One of those questions was regarding how late in the pregnancy I could travel. Instead of responding with the answer, you went on to tell me that you couldnt recommend that I travel at all because I am so paranoid that youd be afraid that Id have concern about the cabin air let alone the travelling itself. You even went so far as to state that Im "so paranoid", youre surprised I even leave the house. Trying my best to show some restraint in spite of your outright rudeness, I responded that if I was paranoid why was I the one who specifically requested to be able to travel to Europe when I was barely 7 weeks?

This is just one of many instances where your bedside manner has been severely lacking. Most notably, the most insulting instance was on my very first pre-natal visit when I was 5 weeks and 6 days. Do you realize that you never even had the courtesy of neither introducing yourself to my husband upon entering the exam room nor even saying congratulations to either of us? Instead, you instilled "paranoia" in both of us when you came into the room proclaiming that a fetal heartbeat should have been seen by the local radiology center that had done my ultrasound a couple of days earlier. Rather than waiting to express any opinions on the presence or lack of a heartbeat until doing your own ultrasound, you walked out of the room. If my husband and I had any reason to be paranoid at that point, it was of your doing!

You have been my doctor since October 2005. In case you do not recall, the reason I became your patient is because Dr. XXXX had stopped delivering babies. I wanted to start a relationship right away with a new OB/GYN; one who would deliver what I hoped would be an easily-conceived baby. Instead my husband and I have struggled with trying to conceive a child for many years. You know this because you were the one who referred me to a Reproductive Endocrinologist. And of course, you also were the one who delivered to me the news that I had an early miscarriage in January 2009. I even scheduled a specific visit with you in August 2009 to discuss the fact that the RE I was seeking treatment with wanted to proceed with a laparoscopy prior to starting IVF treatment. Since that time I have had conversations with you about my infertility treatments during my scheduled check-ups. As recently as this past November, when I saw you for my pap exam, I expressed to you how my husband and I were doing our last (#9) round of IVF and if not successful we would likely be moving on to donor egg. We even discussed the relevance of genetic testing when using a donor.

So when I landed on your doorstep in late January with the news that I had conceived naturally, after such an exhausting battle, the least I expected was a congratulations. I was obviously foolish enough to think that you could even acknowledge how monumental this pregnancy is for us.

Since that first pre-natal visit all you have done, visit over visit, is insult and/or upset me with rude dialogue. When I asked you what the baby's heart rate was at a check-up, you huffed and asked if I needed to know. YES, I not only need but also deserve to know! This is my body, my baby and my care and I deserve and am entitled to have every question I ask answered. When I showed you a rash I had developed in my groin and belly area and asked if it was PUPPP, you said it was not and that I should go back to the Google page where I read up on it. And let's not even get into all the fear you attempted to instill in me because my Reproductive Endocrinologist is treating me for low progesterone. These are just several of many examples of your rudeness.

I have never called your office with any frivolous or paranoid questions. I have never requested any non-scheduled visits "just because". The only time I called your office "out of turn" was recently when I thought I might have a vaginal infection. So for you to call me paranoid is an outright insult.

If I was in fact paranoid it would actually be legitimate considering that I've never even received a pre-natal information package from your office with indications of foods to avoid, symptoms to be concerned about, or general pregnancy information. You never even inquired if I was on pre-natal vitamins! If it wasnt for the early care I received from my Reproductive Endocrinologist, in addition to pregnancy pearls of wisdom from both friends and Dr. Google, Id be eating sushi, soaking in hot tubs and running marathons.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime pregnancy that I have been blessed with. While all I can require of you is adequate pre-natal care, I dont have to take it at the expense of insults. And most especially not when I pay nearly $1,000 a month in medical insurance.

Disappointed,
Glad that (*&^%@!! SOB's hands are not going to get anywhere near your precious LO during labor and delivery!

I can't believe he really said some of that stuff to you. I wish you'd written "cc: state licensing board" on the bottom.

I hope everyone in the office read your letter while it was sitting in the fax machine!

May 16th, 2011, 8:50 pm #6

Disappointed,
Can't believe some of the stuff you've endured. And to not even get an information packet at the VERY least is unbelievable. I've been bombarded with that stuff, plus a nurse and nurse practitioner sat me down and went over an exhausting list of dos/don'ts in PG. What an a-hole.

So glad you're now with someone who will actually care for you and your family. It must be a huge relief.

Hugs,
Meg

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

May 16th, 2011, 8:52 pm #7

Glad that (*&^%@!! SOB's hands are not going to get anywhere near your precious LO during labor and delivery!

I can't believe he really said some of that stuff to you. I wish you'd written "cc: state licensing board" on the bottom.

I hope everyone in the office read your letter while it was sitting in the fax machine!
picturing the nurses all wide-eyed this morning as they went through the day's faxes and found mine.

You're right about the cc: and I considered it but felt that in the end all I really wanted was to make sure that he knew that I knew that he is a massive jacka$$ and while someone else may take his cr@p, I was DONE.

I think some of these drs. think they can get away with stuff because all we're paying is a co-pay of $20, $30 or whatever. Uh...no dude. I pay mucho dinero for my medical insurance and I'm not going to take garbage treatment!

May 16th, 2011, 8:54 pm #8

Disappointed,
Kudos to you! And well said! I think perhaps at best, you stayed with your OB for the glimmer of hope that maybe just maybe in all of this something would go really easy and it would "get better with time." I mentioned earlier I too switched hospitals/OB's at 20 weeks. I did receive an apology and a phone call from the "higher ups." My husband believes perhaps they were worried I would file a complaint or something. Who knows. I will tell you this. You do not know when your "easy" will happen but I promise, it's on its way. I had struggles getting pg, lost a twin (which I learned at 20 weeks), fired OB, baby had "stomach complication" and possibility of surgery in utero, my water broke 3 weeks early w/ no contractions but when it came time to push - turned out to be a piece of cake (for me). 7 pushes. We were joking and laughing the whole time. Keep us posted on the followup!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

May 16th, 2011, 9:00 pm #9

Can't believe some of the stuff you've endured. And to not even get an information packet at the VERY least is unbelievable. I've been bombarded with that stuff, plus a nurse and nurse practitioner sat me down and went over an exhausting list of dos/don'ts in PG. What an a-hole.

So glad you're now with someone who will actually care for you and your family. It must be a huge relief.

Hugs,
Meg
you said it - some of the stuff. There's other stuff I won't even get into.

The fact is I think I have been a GREAT patient by being educated and being able to ask appropriate questions; I've relieved him of his duties by doing my own homework. His own nurse has complimented me TWICE about this; how I know to ask the right questions. She says she sees all the time patients come in and be told XYZ and they just say OK and walk out.

If it wasn't for Cooper and the nurses down there I don't know how I would have made it through those early weeks. They not only gave me an info packet right off the bat they also mailed me one! And at each visit they would take my weight and BP and ask me about any symptoms I was having and if I was drinking enough fluids, etc. Really on top of things. I knew some things already like the fish thing but I didn't know about fresh cheeses concern or the deli meats or the hot dogs, blah blah blah.

Done!

gone_fshn
gone_fshn

May 16th, 2011, 9:32 pm #10

Disappointed,
Good for you Mrs A.!!! I hope you will also post reviews to websites such as vitals.com and ratemds.com, especially regarding such insensitivity toward IF patients. That would be info I would like to know if I were checking out this (S)OB!