Worried.... Paging Mrs. A or anyone else!

Worried.... Paging Mrs. A or anyone else!

Erin
Erin

June 14th, 2012, 6:00 pm #1

Hi Guys,
It's been a fairly uneventful pregnancy until now (I'm 8wks 5days) but last night I was tossing and turning with what I think were cramps (I was half asleep but I kept feeling something and then taking a drink, rolling onto my left side and falling back asleep). Today my groin area is a little sore, kind of like after some exercise. I had some GI upset over the past few days so I figured I may have been a little dehydrated. I got my E2 and P4 checked today and my E2 continues to rise but my P4 is significantly down- 31.9 today down from being mostly in the 50s over the past few weeks (and as high as 72). I haven't decreased my P4 support (on 1cc PIO and 2 endometrin 100mg supps/day) and I'm worried. I spoke to my nurse at C.ornell and she said I could up my PIO to 1.5cc/day- I also just took a prometrium tab I had lying around. I also called the OB office and they weren't too concerned either. Mrs. A- I know you said something about hormones starting to lower and throwing you into a tailspin... Does this sound like what you were talking about? There's been absolutely no spotting and I continue to have the mild nausea, fatigue and tender boobs I have had in the past. Should I be worried? Any advice? Thanks so much in advance!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 14th, 2012, 6:59 pm #2

sorry that you're worried! God - it's so freaking bewildering!! But DO NOT let a single P4 reading upset you. Easier said than done I know but it's just one reading. How often are you testing? Since you're upping your P4 support I'd go back in a couple of days and have it re-checked.

For me it was not the P4 drop that sent me into a tailspin...it was the E2 drop around week 10. I wasn't on any E2 support - didn't need it on my BFP cycle - for once my E2 cooperated and was strong out of the gate! But in that crossover to placenta there was the expected drop but even though expected it still sent me over the edge.

I know it's hard to NOT correlate the cramps and groin pain with the P4 drop but it's very possible (and likely) that there's no correlation at all. Your uterus is expanding and it's going to cause some cramping and as you progress you can get what's called Round Ligament pain. It doesn't usually happen until some weeks later but some women start earlier and yes it can feel like groin pain or a pulled muscle pain. I remember I was so scared when it happened to me.

Again, I wouldn't make too much of just one reading of 31.9. I'd just keep an eye on it with another reading in next few days. Try as much as possible to focus on the great u/s you had.

But, if you are going to be completely in tears (and heck I can totally understand that having been there done that!), then I'd ask for an u/s. They can check the baby and your cervix (to make sure it's closed and long). Speaking of which...that reminded me...another pain I had was lots of pressure down there (or up there? I guess it depends which way you're looking at it ) I think as early as late first trimester - so not like it was baby pain at that point. I went in for an u/s and sure enough cervix was long and closed and nothing to worry about.

I think the first tri weeks totally suck (sorry to be so point blank) because there's so much worry about viability and losing the baby. But try to focus on the fact that you've been doing really well up until this point measuring on track and strong h/b.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 14th, 2012, 7:07 pm #3

if it makes you feel any better to have this info here it is.

Dr. Ch,eck likes to see levels at 40 and above (think you knew that) but he told me that if my levels had consistently remained above 35 he could have lived with that. Point is you can't look at these numbers in a silo (unless of course your number came back say at 5!) It's really more about trending above a certain coverline...so that's why I say go back in a few days.

June 14th, 2012, 8:03 pm #4

Hi Guys,
It's been a fairly uneventful pregnancy until now (I'm 8wks 5days) but last night I was tossing and turning with what I think were cramps (I was half asleep but I kept feeling something and then taking a drink, rolling onto my left side and falling back asleep). Today my groin area is a little sore, kind of like after some exercise. I had some GI upset over the past few days so I figured I may have been a little dehydrated. I got my E2 and P4 checked today and my E2 continues to rise but my P4 is significantly down- 31.9 today down from being mostly in the 50s over the past few weeks (and as high as 72). I haven't decreased my P4 support (on 1cc PIO and 2 endometrin 100mg supps/day) and I'm worried. I spoke to my nurse at C.ornell and she said I could up my PIO to 1.5cc/day- I also just took a prometrium tab I had lying around. I also called the OB office and they weren't too concerned either. Mrs. A- I know you said something about hormones starting to lower and throwing you into a tailspin... Does this sound like what you were talking about? There's been absolutely no spotting and I continue to have the mild nausea, fatigue and tender boobs I have had in the past. Should I be worried? Any advice? Thanks so much in advance!
Just wanted to write quick and tell you that at 13w we discovered my progesterone level had dropped to 4.7. They retested it the next day to make sure it wasn't a lab error and it came back at 4.9. So I immediately got back on PIO, (I think I did daily 2cc doses until I could breath again) and my sweet baby girl was born April 29th at 6 lb 11oz! She is doing great!

Just wanted to let you know if you are having progesterone problems, you still have plenty of time to turn things around if your number is at a 31.

Keep us posted!

Amy

TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
28 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

Gonal F with Timed Intercourse-2WW
First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

-First cycle since m/c....Gonal F, triggered with 8 mature follies, T/I - BFP!
-13dpo beta 106, progesterone 21.4
-15dpo beta 260, progesterone 12.2
-16dpo beta 411, progesterone 16
-20dpo beta 845, progesterone 19 (went in for u/s to rule out ectopic, couldn't see anything yet, but lining was thick)
-22dpo beta 1158, progesterone 18
-24dpo beta 1655, progesterone 20
-5w?? u/s showed 2 sacs...one measuring 4w0d, the other measuring 5w1d....possibly vanishing twin???
-6w u/s showed TWINS! 2 h/r's....121, 119. both measuring 6w1d! SCH 1cm
-At 7w pg, tested positive for lupus anticoagulant, on lovenox to treat it, TSH was 2.55
-7w2d u/s showed 2 babies measuring 7w4d & 7w3d, h/r's 158 & 153! SCH 2cm
-8w1d u/s showed 2 babies measuring 8w3d & 8w2d, h/r's 185 & 179! SCH 3cm
-10w2d u/s showed we lost baby A measuring 9w1d and had no h/r...baby B measured 10w1d with a h/r of 180...praying for Baby B to hang on, SCH gone, started thyroid med
-11w1d u/s showed Baby B measuring right on track, h/r of 174
-12w1d had a red bleeding episode & u/s showed Baby B measuring 1 day ahead and a h/r of 168, bleeding likely caused by Baby A's passing
-13w1d had some red spotting & u/s showed Baby B measuring 2 days behind and h/r of 157
-14w...baby measured 14w3d...and I suffered a horrible, very sudden miscarriage...another angel baby...that makes 4.
Saw Dr Mary Stephenson at U of Chicago for recurrent pregnancy loss....dx with Lupus Anticoagluant and Incompetent Cervix, will be treated with lovenox
5-25-11 - Had a Transabdominal Cerclage placed by Dr Haney at U of Chicago

Gonal F with Timed Intercourse (self medicated/unmonitored) BFN
Gonal F with Timed Intercourse: 7 follies in play - BFP at 10dpo!!!
12dpo hcg level 80.5, progesterone 16.8
14dpo hcg level 295, progesterone 18
6w3d u/s showed 1 baby with a h/r of 120, measuring 6w4d
7w3d u/s showed baby with h/r of 160, measuring 7w3d
7w5d u/s showed a possibility of TWINS! Baby A (the original) measured 8w, h/r 167...Baby B, hiding in the upper uterus measured 6w6d, h/r 176...time will tell if Baby B will make it
8w4d u/s showed Baby A doing well measuring 8w4d and h/r of 185....Baby B measured 7w3d and no h/r detected My 5 angels better help me out through the rest of all this
9w5d u/s showed Baby A measring 9w5d, h/r 188
10w5d u/s showed Baby A measuring good, h/r 175
11w3d u/s shoed Baby A measuring 11w4d, h/r 169
12w6d u/s showed Baby A measuring 13w2d, h/r of 167
13w5d u/s showed Baby A measuring 13w6d, h/r of 156
15w5d u/s showed Baby Girl measuring about a week ahead! h/r 164
17w4d u/s showed Baby Girl with a h/r of 156, cervix measuring 5cm+
19w4d, u/s showed Baby Girl with a h/r of 151, cervix measuring 5cm
23w4d, u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 149, cervix measuring 5cm. Baby weighed 1lb 14oz and is in the 80th percentile...her belly in the 97th....talked a little big about GD
27w4d, u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 151, cervix measuring 5cm...baby weighed 3lb 4oz, 87th percentile, pass GD test!
29w4d u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 148, cervix 5cm
31w4d u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 129, cervix 5cm and weight is 5lb 5oz! BIG GIRL!!!
35+ weeks and counting!
Started contracting at 36w, had c-section at 36w2d, Welcome to the world Baby Lorelei, 6lb 11oz and perfectly healthy!!!!
26 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
TAB for a cycle
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

TAB for a month on bcp's
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

smrc
smrc

June 14th, 2012, 8:05 pm #5

Hi Guys,
with her good advice and I hope she made you feel better. I too was going to suggest you get another p4 check in 2 days or so, and see if you can get an u/s at the same time just for peace of mind that all looks great still.

I have had my own p4 and cramping issues this week as I am weaning off p4 at week 14 - my p4 dropped from the mid-60s to 45 but C.ooper was still satisfied this was ok. The cramping I am having sounds like it might be the Round Ligament pain Mrs. A is describing - sharp, shooting pain very low down - almost like 1 single sharp cramp, every hour or so. So Mrs. A - you may have killed 2 birds with one stone, since I have been on edge the last few days because of this cramping (and my loss of a p4 "crutch").

Crossing my fingers for you that all goes Ok the next few days for you.
SMRC

Teresa
Teresa

June 14th, 2012, 8:27 pm #6

P4 has me so confused. I was told that for example, the Endometrin doesnt show up in the blood. This confuses me- because if you are taking 200 mg as Erin is or 300 as say I am, and your level comes back in the 30's, does this mean it's really in the 30's, or it's actually higher and its just not registering in a blood test. Does anyone know? (I'm not on shots so not sure if it's different if you're on shots with endometrin vs just endometrin)

I am 9w3d and my RE (the mean one) had said I would stay on til week 12. I already had the convo with my OB- I don't want to come off at 12 weeks, would rather start weaning at 14, and even then, I KNOW for sure it's going to throw me over the edge. She had said it's okay to stop entirely but I told her I didn't want to (she was fine with that)

I know Mrs A and one or 2 others have stayed on P4 support for almost the whole pregnancy, is it okay to do this say if I wanted to just do it? I never took shots though I am just on vag inserts. Can I keep taking 300mg endometrin/day? Will it harm me or the baby?

Erin, at 8 weeks I was starting to have the same feeling in my lower abs. Sometimes in the middle of the night I would roll over and feel like I pulled a muscle. When I went to the dr yesterday she said its totally normal, things are stretching. As Mrs A said, round ligament pain. It amazes me and scares the crap out of me at the same time, of course hoping nothing's wrong. I hear you! 31 more weeks, LOL!!!

Erin
Erin

June 14th, 2012, 10:12 pm #7

Hi Guys,
First, thank you so SO much for your responses. They are so reassuring! However, before I saw them I flipped out and asked if they could squeeze me in for an u/s. So they did but I had to go over to the hospital where I'd never been before. I was in such a tizzy that I actually forgot my wallet. This was an issue since the hospital is 45min from home and they have a parking garage you have to pay for and I was low on gas... In any case, I saw my little wiggling teddy bear measuring one day behind w/ a HR of 187, cervix long and closed- whew!!! We were able to see him/her externally for the first time too which was kind-of exciting. Fortunately the front desk lady had pity on me and gave me a parking voucher so I didn't have to sleep overnight in the garage . A really bad day turned into a much better one. What a trip this whole thing is?! I am so very VERY thankful for you guys sharing your wisdom and stories with me- wow does it help! Thanks again!

Erin
Erin

June 14th, 2012, 10:14 pm #8

Just wanted to write quick and tell you that at 13w we discovered my progesterone level had dropped to 4.7. They retested it the next day to make sure it wasn't a lab error and it came back at 4.9. So I immediately got back on PIO, (I think I did daily 2cc doses until I could breath again) and my sweet baby girl was born April 29th at 6 lb 11oz! She is doing great!

Just wanted to let you know if you are having progesterone problems, you still have plenty of time to turn things around if your number is at a 31.

Keep us posted!

Amy

28 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
TAB for cysts
TAB for a cycle
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064

Gonal F with Timed Intercourse-2WW
TAB for a month on bcp's
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366

-First cycle since m/c....Gonal F, triggered with 8 mature follies, T/I - BFP!
-13dpo beta 106, progesterone 21.4
-15dpo beta 260, progesterone 12.2
-16dpo beta 411, progesterone 16
-20dpo beta 845, progesterone 19 (went in for u/s to rule out ectopic, couldn't see anything yet, but lining was thick)
-22dpo beta 1158, progesterone 18
-24dpo beta 1655, progesterone 20
-5w?? u/s showed 2 sacs...one measuring 4w0d, the other measuring 5w1d....possibly vanishing twin???
-6w u/s showed TWINS! 2 h/r's....121, 119. both measuring 6w1d! SCH 1cm
-At 7w pg, tested positive for lupus anticoagulant, on lovenox to treat it, TSH was 2.55
-7w2d u/s showed 2 babies measuring 7w4d & 7w3d, h/r's 158 & 153! SCH 2cm
-8w1d u/s showed 2 babies measuring 8w3d & 8w2d, h/r's 185 & 179! SCH 3cm
-10w2d u/s showed we lost baby A measuring 9w1d and had no h/r...baby B measured 10w1d with a h/r of 180...praying for Baby B to hang on, SCH gone, started thyroid med
-11w1d u/s showed Baby B measuring right on track, h/r of 174
-12w1d had a red bleeding episode & u/s showed Baby B measuring 1 day ahead and a h/r of 168, bleeding likely caused by Baby A's passing
-13w1d had some red spotting & u/s showed Baby B measuring 2 days behind and h/r of 157
-14w...baby measured 14w3d...and I suffered a horrible, very sudden miscarriage...another angel baby...that makes 4.
Saw Dr Mary Stephenson at U of Chicago for recurrent pregnancy loss....dx with Lupus Anticoagluant and Incompetent Cervix, will be treated with lovenox
5-25-11 - Had a Transabdominal Cerclage placed by Dr Haney at U of Chicago

Gonal F with Timed Intercourse (self medicated/unmonitored) BFN
Gonal F with Timed Intercourse: 7 follies in play - BFP at 10dpo!!!
12dpo hcg level 80.5, progesterone 16.8
14dpo hcg level 295, progesterone 18
6w3d u/s showed 1 baby with a h/r of 120, measuring 6w4d
7w3d u/s showed baby with h/r of 160, measuring 7w3d
7w5d u/s showed a possibility of TWINS! Baby A (the original) measured 8w, h/r 167...Baby B, hiding in the upper uterus measured 6w6d, h/r 176...time will tell if Baby B will make it
8w4d u/s showed Baby A doing well measuring 8w4d and h/r of 185....Baby B measured 7w3d and no h/r detected My 5 angels better help me out through the rest of all this
9w5d u/s showed Baby A measring 9w5d, h/r 188
10w5d u/s showed Baby A measuring good, h/r 175
11w3d u/s shoed Baby A measuring 11w4d, h/r 169
12w6d u/s showed Baby A measuring 13w2d, h/r of 167
13w5d u/s showed Baby A measuring 13w6d, h/r of 156
15w5d u/s showed Baby Girl measuring about a week ahead! h/r 164
17w4d u/s showed Baby Girl with a h/r of 156, cervix measuring 5cm+
19w4d, u/s showed Baby Girl with a h/r of 151, cervix measuring 5cm
23w4d, u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 149, cervix measuring 5cm. Baby weighed 1lb 14oz and is in the 80th percentile...her belly in the 97th....talked a little big about GD
27w4d, u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 151, cervix measuring 5cm...baby weighed 3lb 4oz, 87th percentile, pass GD test!
29w4d u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 148, cervix 5cm
31w4d u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 129, cervix 5cm and weight is 5lb 5oz! BIG GIRL!!!
35+ weeks and counting!
Started contracting at 36w, had c-section at 36w2d, Welcome to the world Baby Lorelei, 6lb 11oz and perfectly healthy!!!!
That must have be SO frightening! I can only imagine given all you've been through how scared you must have been. Thank you so much for sharing that even with a P4 dip, things can turn out great! Hope your little one is doing well!

Teresa
Teresa

June 14th, 2012, 10:18 pm #9

First, thank you so SO much for your responses. They are so reassuring! However, before I saw them I flipped out and asked if they could squeeze me in for an u/s. So they did but I had to go over to the hospital where I'd never been before. I was in such a tizzy that I actually forgot my wallet. This was an issue since the hospital is 45min from home and they have a parking garage you have to pay for and I was low on gas... In any case, I saw my little wiggling teddy bear measuring one day behind w/ a HR of 187, cervix long and closed- whew!!! We were able to see him/her externally for the first time too which was kind-of exciting. Fortunately the front desk lady had pity on me and gave me a parking voucher so I didn't have to sleep overnight in the garage . A really bad day turned into a much better one. What a trip this whole thing is?! I am so very VERY thankful for you guys sharing your wisdom and stories with me- wow does it help! Thanks again!
Aww! Glad you feel better! n/t

Erin
Erin

June 14th, 2012, 10:20 pm #10

sorry that you're worried! God - it's so freaking bewildering!! But DO NOT let a single P4 reading upset you. Easier said than done I know but it's just one reading. How often are you testing? Since you're upping your P4 support I'd go back in a couple of days and have it re-checked.

For me it was not the P4 drop that sent me into a tailspin...it was the E2 drop around week 10. I wasn't on any E2 support - didn't need it on my BFP cycle - for once my E2 cooperated and was strong out of the gate! But in that crossover to placenta there was the expected drop but even though expected it still sent me over the edge.

I know it's hard to NOT correlate the cramps and groin pain with the P4 drop but it's very possible (and likely) that there's no correlation at all. Your uterus is expanding and it's going to cause some cramping and as you progress you can get what's called Round Ligament pain. It doesn't usually happen until some weeks later but some women start earlier and yes it can feel like groin pain or a pulled muscle pain. I remember I was so scared when it happened to me.

Again, I wouldn't make too much of just one reading of 31.9. I'd just keep an eye on it with another reading in next few days. Try as much as possible to focus on the great u/s you had.

But, if you are going to be completely in tears (and heck I can totally understand that having been there done that!), then I'd ask for an u/s. They can check the baby and your cervix (to make sure it's closed and long). Speaking of which...that reminded me...another pain I had was lots of pressure down there (or up there? I guess it depends which way you're looking at it ) I think as early as late first trimester - so not like it was baby pain at that point. I went in for an u/s and sure enough cervix was long and closed and nothing to worry about.

I think the first tri weeks totally suck (sorry to be so point blank) because there's so much worry about viability and losing the baby. But try to focus on the fact that you've been doing really well up until this point measuring on track and strong h/b.
Your message was so reassuring! Thank you so much! It really is bewildering. I actually do wonder a bit... When my husband gave me the PIO injection last night it didn't hurt at all- it doesn't usually hurt a lot, but I can just about always feel it and it's relatively uncomfortable, but I couldn't feel it at all last night. I kind-of wonder if he missed the muscle. Who knows? Thank you for sharing that you had the round ligament pain early too. I've read about it and some sites seem to say it starts around the 2nd trimester but I have seen others say it started for them in the 1st trimester too. What a process! Oh, how much I look forward to being in the 2nd trimester (although I'm sure I'll find something to worry about then too... ). Thanks again!!!