Weight talk

Weight talk

October 12th, 2011, 11:01 pm #1

ALM's post got me thinking, do any of you experience the weight talk backlash? The minute I say something, so many people are quick to be like, well your pregnant. Or say, you need to eat more or less. My husband told me I was being OCD about the weight thing. I think I just had a hard time with the clothing transition b/c at times pregnancy clothes were too big but normal clothes weren't. It took a bit to get there but bring on the secret belly pants!!

bigboy
bigboy

October 12th, 2011, 11:18 pm #2

mostly it's my husband and mom but they are constantly telling me to eat more bc ive lost weight. my mom came up last night and my dad called on the phone, and they had a detailed discussion about what i was able to put in my mouth that day!! then this morning again. she got off the phone and i was like "really mom?". im sure i will get it full force once my husband's family finds out.
with my son - i only gained 17 or 18 pounds and heard crap about that all over the place - except for my mom and husband bc i wasnt as sick with him so they just figured it was normal.
but yes you will find that a lot of people have all kinds of advice to offer regarding weight, the birth, how your kid will never sleep and you will never sleep again until your 40 (or 50) and so on.
(and for the record, i was sleeping fine when my son was 7 weeks old bc by that point he was sleeping 9 hours straight and i was breastfeeding exclusively...not common but i just hate it when people tell new moms that they will never sleep again!)

ALM
ALM

October 13th, 2011, 2:08 am #3

it's really annoying. Just b/c they're wimps doesn't mean that'll be our experience! I call them the gloom and doomers.

ALM
ALM

October 13th, 2011, 2:11 am #4

ALM's post got me thinking, do any of you experience the weight talk backlash? The minute I say something, so many people are quick to be like, well your pregnant. Or say, you need to eat more or less. My husband told me I was being OCD about the weight thing. I think I just had a hard time with the clothing transition b/c at times pregnancy clothes were too big but normal clothes weren't. It took a bit to get there but bring on the secret belly pants!!
they were pg claim they hardly put on anything (these are not small people!) and it fell off within a month after giving birth. I just shake my head. I guess it's the beginning of "Mommy Wars".

As far as being OCD about weight, I don't care. It's not like I'm not eating and not eating crap some of the time - I am right now! But, I still want to keep this to a minimum of what I can bear. I'm hoping to take a cute Holiday card picture, and I don't want a double chin for that!!!!

October 13th, 2011, 3:33 am #5

you will look great in your holiday pic ALM!!! And yes, every mom, dad, grandma etc will have an opinion about something. Sadly it's par for the course.

October 13th, 2011, 3:37 am #6

I bet you look cute in your new pg clothes Newbie!!

ps you really never will sleep well again. You always worry about your kids. My parents have 3 grown daughters in their 30's. My dad still says we keep him up worrying at night sometimes. And I have had a terrible sleeper with my dd since day 1. It really is difficult. I promise we aren't wimpy people. There is a reason why sleep deprivation is torture in some cultures.

Shipin
Shipin

October 13th, 2011, 4:21 am #7

We r the ones who gain and who have to shed too ... so a concern is pretty obvious. There r all sorts of old wives tales .. about gaining less or too much, so all those mom and aunts have one of those to tell. I delivered 6 months ago and I now feel like a shape shifter :D . Since my 3rd month of Pg till now I am changing size almost every month ... its tough to keep up the wardrobe.

bigboy
bigboy

October 13th, 2011, 1:39 pm #8

I bet you look cute in your new pg clothes Newbie!!

ps you really never will sleep well again. You always worry about your kids. My parents have 3 grown daughters in their 30's. My dad still says we keep him up worrying at night sometimes. And I have had a terrible sleeper with my dd since day 1. It really is difficult. I promise we aren't wimpy people. There is a reason why sleep deprivation is torture in some cultures.
...okay well...i slept fine. yes there are nights that you worry more than others but overall, i dont think sleep has been a problem. so i think it's different for everyone.

bigboy
bigboy

October 13th, 2011, 1:48 pm #9

it's really annoying. Just b/c they're wimps doesn't mean that'll be our experience! I call them the gloom and doomers.
well i mean some people have babies that have colic or other issues and for several months they really DONT get sleep. i had a few friends that were really hurting for sleep. but then others, like me and my H, were fine. we actually had it easier than most - we were really lucky. i mean you always worry, there is no question about that. i think really that you will just have maybe more nights where you dont sleep or or worry is preventing you from sleeping. it's different for everyone. but my son is 2.5 and i basically sleep like i did before he was here.. (well before i was pg again bc i have pg insomnia)...without the sleeping in part, but i was never one to sleep in anwyways!

Whitney
Whitney

October 13th, 2011, 7:16 pm #10

All I heard while I was pregnant from everyone is you need to eat more and you are not gaining enough weight, but my doctor never said anything. I didn't gain much and I am NOT a big person at all. I was just OCD about my weight while I was pregnant, because I didnt want to have to take it all off after the babies were born.