Very disturbing REvisit today, your thoughts, please

Very disturbing REvisit today, your thoughts, please

teresa
teresa

May 14th, 2012, 7:46 pm #1

I am bawling typing this so please forgive any typos.

First a recap.
Beta #1 May4 Beta 63.3 P4 21.4
Beta #2 May7 Beta 339 P4 19.5
(On Endometrin 100mg/ 3x a day)

Today, May 14, Beta #3 8,844 P4 21.7

I had a sono today with the RE. I am 5 weeks exactly.

He walks in and says "your bloods are normal"
I asked the number and he told me and I thought 8,844 was pretty good. It's a week to the day and my last was 339. But all he said was "it's fine"

He then proceeds to do the sono. He sees a gestational sac and I'm relieved. Then he says "oh- no yolk sac. That's very bad. We would have expected to see that by now. Very bad"

I am almost in tears. I look at my husband and he gives me an encouraging look.

Then after a few minutes RE tells me "hmm....ok, I "think" I see a yolk sac... that little line right there I think is the beginning of the yolk sac."

But it's too late. I am not convinced now, I feel like "well, he didn't see it very well at first glance, that can't be good, right? maybe he was just guessing and it's not there, if it's not obvious then it probably isn't there."

He then asks me if I have any questions and I say "is the fact that this is my 5th pregnancy.." and before I can finish he says "not good. Not good" I said "are you telling me that I'll probably lose this one too" and he said "your chances are not good"

Wow. Thanks.

Then he said " The fact that you've had several miscarriages plus your age makes this not good. This will be a very long haul for you, with the fibroid, your age and history"

I said "well what if I had IVF would you be telling me this, too?" He said "yes" (I knew that but I just wanted to make my point)

I know how old I am. (39 years old, 9 months, 7 days)

I know he was probably just doing his job and telling me facts. But his delivery was like taking a bullet. DH agreed, when we left, he was also very upset. Mostly for the fact that 1. I was bawling and 2. He has been doing EVERYTHING in his power the past 2 weeks to be supportive of my PG and holding my hand, because with all the losses, this is just so very hard and scary. The thought of going through another loss....forget it. He felt that the Dr sort of "undid" his work with me because I left feeling doomed and hopeless.

I guess I was shocked that he offered zero encouragement to us and pretty much made me and my husband feel like there is ZERO hope that this PG will last. And I didn't have much hope to begin with walking in to this appointment.

I have to go back one week from today when he told me he will expect to see a fetal pole and possible heart beat. I'm very upset and feel now like I will be miscarrying any second.

Was the fact that a yolk sac was barely seen today a bad thing with my beta number so high? Please be honest. I've been through 4 losses and I just want the truth.

DH DID go back to speak to him and told him that he felt the way he delivered the information to me with me being so vulnerable was not the best thing for me and he wished he could've found something supportive to say.

I don't know. I'm really discouraged right now. Here we go again? I just want one baby. It's so hard.

Thanks for letting me vent.

teresa

Erin
Erin

May 14th, 2012, 8:01 pm #2

Can I say first off, please do me a big favor and never see this clown of an MD again? That is awful. What a DB. Now that that's off my chest, I'm pretty sure that everything you saw was 100% normal! I'm supposed to have a 5wk u/s and was told they were just making sure it was an intrauterine pg (not an ectopic) and not to expect much more so yours sounds great! I also took the liberty of checking betabase with your betas and your doubling time over the last week is 35.7hrs! Perfect! So, if you take out your physician's god-awful delivery, I think what you got today was some very good news! I am admittedly very new to this pg business, but I think you're right on target. Sob it out, and then forget that sorry SOB! Sending lots of hugs!

teresa
teresa

May 14th, 2012, 8:15 pm #3

I'm supposed to go to him next week on Monday for the last time, then my OB on Friday the 25th. Ha- IF I even make it because now I feel like a friggin ticking time bomb.

Its not so much I'm upset about the U/S and the sac and stuff, I get all that, I am VERY early and was really only expecting the sac and yolk.

It was the "not good. Not good." Basically telling me my chances are $h1t because of my age and previous 4 losses...

I am hoping anyone with a first PG at 40 with success will chime in with some encouraging stories...

mel
mel

May 14th, 2012, 8:35 pm #4

First a recap.

I asked the number and he told me and I thought 8,844 was pretty good. It's a week to the day and my last was 339. But all he said was "it's fine"

He then proceeds to do the sono. He sees a gestational sac and I'm relieved. Then he says "oh- no yolk sac. That's very bad. We would have expected to see that by now. Very bad"

Then after a few minutes RE tells me "hmm....ok, I "think" I see a yolk sac... that little line right there I think is the beginning of the yolk sac."

But it's too late. I am not convinced now, I feel like "well, he didn't see it very well at first glance, that can't be good, right? maybe he was just guessing and it's not there, if it's not obvious then it probably isn't there."

He then asks me if I have any questions and I say "is the fact that this is my 5th pregnancy.." and before I can finish he says "not good. Not good" I said "are you telling me that I'll probably lose this one too" and he said "your chances are not good"

Wow. Thanks.

Then he said " The fact that you've had several miscarriages plus your age makes this not good. This will be a very long haul for you, with the fibroid, your age and history"

I said "well what if I had IVF would you be telling me this, too?" He said "yes" (I knew that but I just wanted to make my point)

I know he was probably just doing his job and telling me facts. But his delivery was like taking a bullet. DH agreed, when we left, he was also very upset. Mostly for the fact that 1. I was bawling and 2. He has been doing EVERYTHING in his power the past 2 weeks to be supportive of my PG and holding my hand, because with all the losses, this is just so very hard and scary. The thought of going through another loss....forget it. He felt that the Dr sort of "undid" his work with me because I left feeling doomed and hopeless.

I guess I was shocked that he offered zero encouragement to us and pretty much made me and my husband feel like there is ZERO hope that this PG will last. And I didn't have much hope to begin with walking in to this appointment.

I have to go back one week from today when he told me he will expect to see a fetal pole and possible heart beat. I'm very upset and feel now like I will be miscarrying any second.

Was the fact that a yolk sac was barely seen today a bad thing with my beta number so high? Please be honest. I've been through 4 losses and I just want the truth.

DH DID go back to speak to him and told him that he felt the way he delivered the information to me with me being so vulnerable was not the best thing for me and he wished he could've found something supportive to say.

I don't know. I'm really discouraged right now. Here we go again? I just want one baby. It's so hard.

teresa
First of all, I'm sorry that your RE was such a jerk! Some doctors really have no common sense and have no idea that their reactions can be so jarring.

It is still so early, and not to mention, your O date could be off by a two, which really impacts what can be seen at this time. The fact that he saw a gestational sac is a good thing and at this early stage I don't think they can expect to see much more. Even going in one week, for him to say he'd expect to see a fetal pole and heart beat, that isn't necessarily so, because dates could be off and not everyone sees that at 6 weeks exactly.

Since you have an OB appointment lined up for the end of next week, I wouldn't even go back to your RE next Monday, but wait until your OB appointment on Friday. Those extra few days may feel like an eternity, but things should be more certain at that point. A few days can make ALL of the difference in these early u/s.

Your numbers look good and are doubling as they should. Keep doing what your doing and try as best you can to not let that RE get inside of your head with the negative thoughts. I'm not trying to give you false hope, but at the same time, you have no reason not to have hope at this point.

Sending you hugs.

Alli
Alli

May 14th, 2012, 8:42 pm #5

First a recap.

Wow. Thanks.

teresa
I'm so sorry sweetie. Don't have much time but be wary of this guy.

jkl
jkl

May 14th, 2012, 8:46 pm #6

First a recap.

Wow. Thanks.

teresa
5 week ultrasounds. You really often can't see anything, really they should just be checking to see something in the uterus to make sure it isn't ectopic. THAT IS ALL.

So your betas are good and the bean is in the uterus so that's all you can expect.

I skipped the 5 week u/s because I don't need the stress.

Ok, so for my next advice. Don't go in at 6 weeks. Go in at 6 weeks, 4-5 days or later. 6 weeks is borderline for seeing a heartbeat so you will just stress some more if you don't see a heartbeat. Don't let the doc call the shots. Tell him when you want to go in. Doctors are so dumb sometimes, I swear they just want to add more drama to our lives, as if we need more.

Hang in there, everything looks good at this point.

jkl

May 14th, 2012, 11:48 pm #7

First a recap.

Wow. Thanks.

teresa
holy cow, never go see him and write a letter of complaint (or rather, your DH should write it)

I am sitting here with my mouth hanging open and feeling my temperature rise because I am sooooo mad at him. What an idiot he is.

5 weeks is often toooooo early to see this stuff, I have seen it time and again here on these BBs.

My RE (granted, this was a long time ago but still) refuses to do u/s until week 8. I tried to talk her into doing one claiming possible ectopic because of my severe endo but she held her ground saying it's just too stressful on the women because you can't really see anything for sure until later so it's just best to do the u/s at week 8.

grrrr and gah! I am so mad at him. He shouldn't be in this field at all. Every woman he sees will be having IF trouble and very very sensitive to his every utterance. I'd have been a basket case if he'd done that to me.

hang in there, don't get discouraged. Rub your belly and have faith your body knows what it's supposed to be doing. Take it really easy, baby yourself because you deserve it and keep drinking your water and breathe breathe breathe. and mentally flip him the bird. Wow, I am steaming.

big hugs my dear. This is so hard. He is so full of poop, don't let his debbie-downer drag you down. Turn it around in spite of him.
Juliemam

Laura
Laura

May 15th, 2012, 12:10 am #8

First a recap.

Wow. Thanks.

teresa
I agree with jkl. A 5-wk u/s is so stressful...especially if you have twins, because the embryo looks "weird" and they can't see the different parts as well.

Your RE should be happy that you got pg. He gets a "success" stat without doing any work!

Your beta and p4 look good, your embie is in the uterus, and that's the best you can expect right now. Your doubling time is still in the 30-hr range..so I still think it's twins...

smrc
smrc

May 15th, 2012, 3:47 am #9

First a recap.

Wow. Thanks.

teresa
I'm so sorry this happened to you. This must have sent your stress level absolutely soaring and his statements/conclusions seem completely unjustified. Is this the only option for you in terms of RE monitoring? is there another RE within the same clinic you could see instead?

Your numbers look great, so find strength and comfort in those and we're all keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Anna
Anna

May 15th, 2012, 6:44 am #10

First a recap.

Wow. Thanks.

teresa
This guy is w jerk, ignore what he said and enjoy ur prg. When I did us at 6 weeks, all they saw was a little black circle and confirmed that the pg is not ectopic. Nothing more..